What AT was Hero One?

Jawbreaker

Checked the wiki for anything official that may have been stated at some point, but there isn't anything specific stated. There does need to be some minor clarification too, "Hero One" in the CoH Lore was the father of "Hero 1", they have different "names". Both of the Hero heroes held the sword Excalibur and received their powers through that weapon. There's no listed information about a secondary of any kind. Pendragon is the Praetorian counterpart to Hero 1, he is listed as "Titan Weapons, Darkness Manipulation" so speculatively Hero 1 could've been something like Energy Manipulation, as that would thematically tie into... (true spoiler):

Spoiler

The Honoree. This Riktified version of the character is Energy Melee, a power blast, a couple of mind powers, and Unstoppable which, at the time, would mean that would've technically classed the character as either a Brute or a Tanker, probably more favoring Brute as being the "villain" AT for a "villain" character.

I will say that the design/power structure of many of the signature characters tend to be hard to pin into a correct AT compared to what they seem, or are otherwise labeled. Sister Psyche as an example is listed as a Controller, but her powers very clearly say Dominator (Control Primary, Energy Assault Secondary).

• Like 1

Hero 1 is an Invul/Energy Melee Tanker, since he can be observed using powers from both sets. Scrappers don't have Energy Melee, and he's a hero character that predates side-switching. Thus, Tanker.

1 hour ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I will say that the design/power structure of many of the signature characters tend to be hard to pin into a correct AT compared to what they seem, or are otherwise labeled. Sister Psyche as an example is listed as a Controller, but her powers very clearly say Dominator (Control Primary, Energy Assault Secondary).

Sister Psyche is a Mind/Force Field Controller. The purple energy blasts are her signature powers.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Hero 1 is an Invul/Energy Melee Tanker, since he can be observed using powers from both sets. Scrappers don't have Energy Melee, and he's a hero character that predates side-switching. Thus, Tanker.

Sister Psyche is a Mind/Force Field Controller. The purple energy blasts are her signature powers.

Hero 1 is not classed as having a designated power set, only The Honoree is. As to my knowledge there is nothing strictly in-game that otherwise disagrees with what the wiki has listed ("Unknown"). Given that Hero 1 is based around Excalibur, he would have inherently been a Broadsword character (Pendragon, his Praetorian counterpart is Titan Weapon).

The Honoree:

Spoiler

The Honoree

Main Article: The Honoree

The Honoree reminds you of Hero 1, the hero who was sent to the Rikti homeworld and successfully destroyed the bridge between their world and ours. It is quite possible that Hero 1 was captured on the Rikti homeworld and subjected to mutations similar to what the Lost undergo, creating this new abomination.

Powers

The Honoree

PowerPunch Quick.png Barrage Melee, Smashing/Energy, Foe Disorient
Barrage is a short, quick one-two combo punch. Deals little damage, but is quick and has a chance to Disorient the target.

PowerPunch EnergyPunch.png Energy Punch Melee, Smashing/Energy, Foe Disorient
Powerful focused punch that may Disorient your opponent!

PowerPunch BoneSmasher.png Bone Smasher Melee, Smashing/Energy, Foe Disorient
The Bone Smasher is a slow attack, but makes up for it with a greater damage. Has a greater chance to Disorient than Energy Punch.

PowerPunch Flurry.png Flurry Melee, Area of Effect Smashing/Energy, Foe Disorient
Launches a dizzying attack against everything in a nearby area.

PowerPunch TotalFocus.png Total Focus Melee, Smashing/Energy, Foe Disorient
Total Focus is complete mastery over Energy Melee. This is a very slow, but incredibly devastating attack that can knock out most opponents, leaving them Disoriented. Due to the exhausting nature of Total Focus, recharge time is very long. Damage: Extreme, Recharge: Long.

PsychicBlast MentalBlast.png Mental Blast Ranged, Psionic, Foe -Recharge
The basic psionic attack does moderate damage and can slightly reduce a target's attack speed.

MentalControl Freeze.png Total Domination Ranged, Area of Effect Foe Hold
You are held.

EnergyAssault PowerBlast.png Power Blast Ranged, Moderate Damage(Energy/Smash), Foe: Knockback
A much more powerful, yet slower version of Power Bolt. Power Blast sends a focused beam of energy at a foe that can knock him back.

Invulnerability Unstoppable.png Unstoppable Self, +Resistance(Disorient, Sleep, Hold, Immobilize, Knockback), +Res(All but Psi)
When you activate this power, you become totally resistant to all smashing and lethal damage, and extremely resistant to most other damage, but also to most Disorient, Immobilization, Hold, Knockback and Sleep effects. Endurance recovery is also increased. Costs very little Endurance to activate, but when it wears off you are vulnerable again, and drained of some Health and Endurance.

Note: Unstoppable as used by Honoree allows him to resist Smash and Lethal damage at 100% resistance.

Temporary PVP BuffDefense.png Resistance Res( S50 L50 F30 C30 E40 N20 P50 T20 )

Side-switching has nothing to do with the fact that CoV was in existence for the RWZ, and the Lady Grey TF, meaning that, in regards to specifically The Honoree (as I was saying before), he could be classed as either a Brute or a Tanker technically, in this Villain form, but the current state of the game would imply Brute.

And to my point about Sister Psyche, look at her power listing:

Spoiler

Sister Psyche

100px-Sister_Psyche.jpg

Sister Psyche

Main Article: Sister Psyche

Even in her childhood, it was obvious that Sister Psyche was blessed. The tremendous scope of her mental powers was far beyond that of any hero, past or present. When the Rikti war descended, Sister Psyche knew she had to make her gift count. She did, but at a price. She exhausted her powers so thoroughly that she fell into a coma. A young heroine named Aurora Borealis offered to play host to Sister Psyche´s projected mental self. Of course, this situation could not last forever. Now back in her own body, Sister Psyche has dedicated herself to shape the tremendous gifts of the young Aurora. It's a responsibility she takes seriously, as well as a consolation for the loss of her former protege, Malaise. When the psychic link between the two women was first disrupted, Sister Psyche lost her mental control over Malaise's dual personalities. The evil Malaise reasserted himself, and quickly made his departure. His present whereabouts are as yet unknown.

Powers

MentalControl Hypnotize.png Mesmerize Ranged, moderate damage(Psionic), Foe: Sleep

MentalControl Levitate.png Levitate Ranged, moderate damage(Smash)

MentalControl Command.png Dominate Ranged, moderate damage(Psionic), Foe: Hold

MentalControl MassHypnosis.png Mass Hypnosis Ranged (Targeted Area of Effect), Foe: Sleep

PsychicBlast WillDomination.png Total Domination Ranged (targeted Area of Effect), Foe: Hold

PsionicAssault PsionicShockwave.png Psychic Shockwave Close (Area of Effect, High Damage(Psionic), Foe: Disorient, -Recharge

ForceField ForceBolt.png Force Bolt Ranged, minor damage(Smash), Foe: Knockback

PowerBlast PowerBlast.png Power Blast Ranged, moderate damage(Energy/Smash), Foe: Knockback

PowerBlast EnergyTorrent.png Energy Torrent Ranged (Cone), Moderate Damage(Energy/Smash), Foe: Knockback

PowerBlast PowerBurst.png Power Burst Close, high damage(Energy/Smash), Foe: Knockback

PowerBlast Explosion.png Explosive Blast Ranged (Targeted Area of Effect), Moderate damage(Smash/Energy), Foe: Knockback

ForceField DeflectionShield.png Force Shield Ally: +Defense(all)

ForceField PersonalForceField.png Personal Force Field Self: +Defense, +Resistance(all)

Temporary PVP BuffDefense.png Resistance Self: +Resistance(Negative Energy and Energy, Psionic)

Temporary PVP BuffDefense.png Resistance Self: Protection against Stun, Hold, Fear, Confuse, Knockback (high), Resistance to all debuffs (high)

Flight TravelFlight.png Fly Self: Fly
Sister Psyche can fly.

She may be classed as a Controller as that was technically the only option for her at the beginning of the game, but she lacks a real definition of "support" and is primarily Controls and Blasts which are far more aligned with Dominators. It could easily be seen as a Mind/Energy Dom with PFF and Force Shield acting like an Ancillary. I wasn't defying what she's listed as, just demonstrating that the defined role doesn't necessarily match for its time period or how the character behaves/"plays". This same consideration extends to (as mentioned) Pendragon as a character, a Melee Weapon and Blaster Secondary (something that otherwise doesn't exist for any AT).

Or, further take Citadel with "Energy Melee" as a primary and "Energy Blast" as a secondary, with "Other Abilities" from Energy Aura. He would be more closely aligned with the idea of a Tanker, but is classed as a Blaster for having three ranged abilities (and not even the Blaster version Energy Manipulation, but the actual tier list of Energy Melee).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Hero 1 is not classed as having a designated power set, only The Honoree is. As to my knowledge there is nothing strictly in-game that otherwise disagrees with what the wiki has listed ("Unknown"). Given that Hero 1 is based around Excalibur, he would have inherently been a Broadsword character (Pendragon, his Praetorian counterpart is Titan Weapon).

Hero 1 was empowered by Excalibur but there's nothing to suggest he actually used it to fight. If he did, he likely would've brought it with him on his final mission rather than leave it with Ms. Liberty.

6 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Side-switching has nothing to do with the fact that CoV was in existence for the RWZ, and the Lady Grey TF, meaning that, in regards to specifically The Honoree (as I was saying before), he could be classed as either a Brute or a Tanker technically, in this Villain form, but the current state of the game would imply Brute.

It has everything to do with his AT. Hero Brutes did not exist at that point in CoH's development, full stop, so he could only have been a Tanker. The Honoree uses Energy Melee powers, and literally no other Riktified individual displays such abilities, so the only possible explanation is that he already had those abilities before his transformation.

9 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

And to my point about Sister Psyche, look at her power listing:

She has Mind Control and Force Field abilities, what more proof do you need? Again, when Sister Psyche's in-game abilities were put together, Hero Dominators simply did not exist. Neither did power customization, but she had purple blasts entirely unique to her.

5 minutes ago, Aberrant said:

I think the only thing that specifically calls Hero 1 a Tanker that I'm aware of is his CoH CCG Card, but then again no mention of Excalibur. 

Excalibur aside, that about sums it up as a physical answer!

6 minutes ago, Vanden said:

She has Mind Control and Force Field abilities, what more proof do you need? Again, when Sister Psyche's in-game abilities were put together, Hero Dominators simply did not exist. Neither did power customization, but she had purple blasts entirely unique to her.

And yet you're still missing the point, so moving on.

All of the Signature Heroes and Villains were built outside the AT structure to insure their unique abilities could not be recreated in the Character Creator. They took a little of this and a little of that, which is why they are hard to categorize. Most of them had abilities not normally available to any single AT and I believe that was by Design, and to keep them Unique. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

4 hours ago, Vanden said:

You can't go by powerset -> definitive AT.  They can be intween

Blue Steel

Secret Identity: Josh Young
Origin: Natural
Archetype: Scrapper
Primary Powers: War Mace
Secondary Powers: Shield Defense
Other Powers: Willpower

Paragon wiki.  By your logic, you are saying only observable powers determine AT in a given time frame. Since release we never knew what Archetype BS was, only that he had a shield. 

So what AT was he at release?  

All melee sets have shields, yet shield didn't exist at release.  He could just as well bern a a defender "of the peace" carrying a shield and some wacky controller.

War Mace was tanker only, so he would be a tanker yet listed as a scrapper.  His mace wasn't even visible so Capt America rip off with MA?  Baton is a given staple of cops, so its kinda obvious if he didn't have a gun.

Will power power didn't exist at release, just that he was natural origin so could be invulnerable without the superman bounce effect of bullets and passive powers from Regen.  So INV and Regen is a grey area not to mention that WP could be considered a step down from bad ass to tough guy.

WP and Shield secondary?  This is where it gets interesting, how do have both?  You can't, as that would mean Tanker levels of defense yet listed as a Scrapper, though cop stereotype character is closer to a scrapper in the terms of a hero if he is Judge Dredd and not Robocop.

Signature heroes can't be defined to a specific type of AT, just single type base and than broader wide range of powers to put them above the common hero.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Signature Heroes and Villains have one singular AT: NPC.

That allows them to have whatever power combinations that the Devs wanted them to have.

It also allows them to have powers that would fill the hearts of players with envy. (I'm looking at you Ghost Widow!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Blue Steel

Secret Identity: Josh Young
Origin: Natural
Archetype: Scrapper
Primary Powers: War Mace
Secondary Powers: Shield Defense
Other Powers: Willpower

Blue Steel's the exception that proves the rule. He was always supposed to be Shield Defense, even before it was added to the game, which directly contributed to his meme-age since his accomplishments could never occur on-screen.

• Haha 1

His AT is B R I T I S H.

Some consider this a Super Power unto itself, I however am from Ohio, and believe it to be an AT as it effects many aspects of the Bearer.

• Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Fun fact, when Devs played as the sig heroes, they could and did use conventional ATs, that were those they favored as normal players. I recall Ghost Falcon specifically played as a ill/kin troller, and I said to him odd I never would of thought those his power sets, and he replied to me oh they are not, they are just what I like to play with the most.

23 hours ago, Vanden said:

Blue Steel's the exception that proves the rule. He was always supposed to be Shield Defense, even before it was added to the game, which directly contributed to his meme-age since his accomplishments could never occur on-screen.

Laughing at your statement its kinda funny, if you think hard enough it sounds like a meme on its own the way you say it.  Without that black bar, "Blue Steel's the exception that proves the rule, his accomplishments could never occur on-screen."

Blue Steel, he doesn't make threats he makes promises.

Edited by Outrider_01

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer