Nice spots for screen shots

RogerWilco

I've recently had a few Praetorians go through the portal, and noticed how nice the lighting is in the portal rooms is for screenshots of my character.

I think this is because the portal is a really big light source, but is using the "in doors" lighting model, not the "out doors" one.

• Do people know of any other locations with nice big light sources, that could be repeatedly visited?

• What locations do people use for screenshots?
Edited by RogerWilco
Clarified that I'm takling about character pictures.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

Depends what you want in shot with you though, yes?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

20 minutes ago, Darmian said:

Depends what you want in shot with you though, yes?

I am just wondering what people are using. If people have any favourite places.

Especially for taking pictures of their characters/costumes.

And I find that depending on the lighting, some costumes can look good or not so good, especially because of reflections and shadows.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

Absolutely.  There's a few nice spots in Praetoria.  I'll have to check my shots to see where I was then.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

You could just build a room like that in a base though and adjust the lighting how you wish.

10 minutes ago, Darmian said:

You could just build a room like that in a base though and adjust the lighting how you wish.

I don't think you can.

There are no similar light sources in the base building items.

And the base doesn't have the space, unless you go on the top, but then the lighting gets weird.

Most lighting items in the base not even actually produce light.

If you do find the right spot and/or time of day for good screenshots, don't forget that you can use demo recording/editing to easily replicate the screenshots and even add multiple characters to one screenshot. There is some info in the thread below.

• Thanks 1

For scenic locations it really depends on which character I'm taking a screenshot of. For moody/ethereal I like Night Ward near the church.

Kallisti Wharf has bright lighting and many nice features and locations for screenshots, as does Praetoria.

If you are trying to get a clean shot of your character, there's an old tool called CoHSplasher that allows you to change your character select and icon backgrounds. Then you can have a solid colour that's more easily edited out.  Without having CoHSplasher, you can set up a room in your base for solid wall backgrounds by using banners set to one colour. If you are trying to capture a power animation in the screenshot, rather than a 'green screen' I'd recommend using banners set to a similar colour to the vfx of the powers and costume, but different enough to be distinguished by your chosen editing tool. This makes for a noticeable difference in outcome.

Also, I'd recommend talking to Null the Gull about 'sending you somewhere else'.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

If you do find the right spot and/or time of day for good screenshots, don't forget that you can use demo recording/editing to easily replicate the screenshots and even add multiple characters to one screenshot. There is some info in the thread below.

Or you can load your alts into AE as NPCs and just get them all together...depending one how many you have of course! Looks like that group is standing in Super Charger's regular spot there.

Edited by Darmian

I actually like the interior of the Chantry... There are darker and brighter bits that can be used to show off different characters well, depending on their effects and costumes. 

This, this and this were all done at the Chantry. 

Bases can be another good option, since you can control the lighting in terms of both level and color there to a pretty fine degree. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

A demorecord character replace is a good option if you've got a LOT of alts.  So if you were to record and replace these guys for instance.

screenshot_201110-19-28-14.jpg

17 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I actually like the interior of the Chantry... There are darker and brighter bits that can be used to show off different characters well, depending on their effects and costumes. 

This, this and this were all done at the Chantry. 

Bases can be another good option, since you can control the lighting in terms of both level and color there to a pretty fine degree. 

I have no clue where this is.

4 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

I have no clue where this is.

The Chantry is that huge, round structure out in the Shadow Shard zone of the same name...

This thing:

6-ViewFromTheFrontDoor.jpg

It's a little troublesome to get to unless you're either good with the geyser jumps or have a character that can fly, but like I said, the interior has some good screen spots and the lighting never changes.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

In Talos, the Serpent's Teeth is a rocky area north of Helen Point. It has some high rock formations that you can watch sunrises and sunsets. Also has a nice pool and waterfall. (Also a very nice, solitary place to 'sits and thinks) Very good area for some screenies.

• Thanks 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!