Add Emojis to In-Game Chat

Troo

If this is a suggestion I am against it. To many damn emojis in my life already, I'm old and don't know what half of them mean. Still trying to figure out why a eggplant emoji means what I was told it means.

If this is not a suggestion just ignore me I have no idea what's going on.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

If this is a suggestion I am against it. To many damn emojis in my life already, I'm old and don't know what half of them mean. Still trying to figure out why a eggplant emoji means what I was told it means.

If this is not a suggestion just ignore me I have no idea what's going on.

🍌

• Haha 1

I would strongly oppose this *UNLESS* the chat system would automatically block the message when it's just a wall of emojis.

I play Black Desert Online and that's the new 'cool' thing to do - a line full of emojis repeated multiple times to produce a wall of them.

No thanks.

• Thanks 4

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

This is a horrible idea.

Look, I'm all for improving things. But how, exactly HOW, does being able to make stupid smiley faces appear in my chat window improve your or my gaming experience?

I have no desire to spend half of my time in-game blocking half the server because they do nothing but spam stupid emojis instead of taking the time to write full sentences. Please save that junk for social media.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

6 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Is this a suggestion?

I was hoping for a discussion which would determine the viability of a suggestion.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ah, sorry, @Troo. It's not for me.  I simply like seeing actual words. Sure we can read emojis but, it's a no from this Kam.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Not these  Get LINE Messenger App's Emojis Without Installing The App Itself [iOS]

More these image.png.46160952c853b788b1c7184ded0af168.png used to tag what someone wrote.

I'm not an emoji person when texting. That said, we've switched our company communication to Teams and am finding it helpful to tag someone else's message.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

26 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I think the discussion tends to suggest a viability of zero.

🍹

2 for and 6 against (1 with wiggle room), 3 ambiguous,,

I came up with multiple retorts:

• Gonna need to appeal this until I get an answer I like.
  • I'm no pollster but it appears we're inside the margin for error..
  • A couple of those votes don't look legitimate.
  • Banana emoji is a yes vote, right?

We'll see how it goes when there is nothing else to read about but how @Troo doesn't follow correct forum protocols.

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Troo said:

I was hoping for a discussion which would determine the viability of a suggestion.

Fair enough.

I'm also a no, thanks.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

2 hours ago, Troo said:

2 for and 6 against (1 with wiggle room), 3 ambiguous,,

2 for and 8 against (1 with wiggle room), 1 ambiguous,,

The recount option is not going well for Emojis..

I've got to admit, while I'll use them occasionally, I've found them to get in the way quite often. I don't recall which system it was - I think it was Skype, since I think it was at work at one point, but it may have been elsewhere, but I'd try to give people steps to do something like (A) go here, (B) do this, (c) look for this, and get an apple, a mug of beer, that sort of thing. Not what I'd be looking for. (Hell, I had a coworker accidentally send our boss a middle-finger-up emoji because it was tiny enough on the screen he thought it was something else.)

And yeah, the emoji spam thing is ... annoying.

Besides, the way COH's coding is, trying to show a smiley face in text would probably suddenly delete your enhancements, kick you out of  your supergroup, delete the next three alts, slap your dog and eat the fridge emptier than a horde of teenagers could.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

Besides, the way COH's coding is, trying to show a smiley face in text would probably suddenly delete your enhancements, kick you out of  your supergroup, delete the next three alts, slap your dog and eat the fridge emptier than a horde of teenagers could.

OOOoooo...devs please make an emoji for Troo.   Wait, wait!                        Let me get some popcorn first.  

Honestly, I'm still recovering from discovering that "emoticon" was replaced with "emoji".   That one ninja'ed me.  Shoot, even the spell check doesn't recognize "emoticon" anymore.  I'm in the Twilight Zone.

If forced to a binary decision, I'd vote "no".    If not, then I'd say I'm okay with emojis under strict conditions:

1.) maximum of 3 emojis per transmission.  I realize this doesn't stop an idiot from building a wall of messages three emojis wide, but that's what blocking is for.

2.) only a few, classic emojis will be in the game.  I don't want pages worth of silly selections or 2 dozens smile types to figure out.  Smile, big smile, frown, angry frown, confused, party horn, roll eyes, stick-out-tongue, and wink.  Maybe a handful of others, but no further.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a better suggestion is to remove them entirely. No colons followed by a closing paren (is paren what you call one of them?) No odd < or O/. 
We are mostly civilized people blessed to have language and the written word. Let's use full words, complete sentences and try to cut back on a lot of these abbreviations, too! Half the newer players have no idea what they mean in the first place. 

On the one hand, I get it - you're fighting while recruiting and trying to keep the team full. Who's got time to type all that stuff out? But on the other hand, you're there, walking your ugly dog and in my yard. On my lawn! YOU CLEAN THAT UP AND GET OFF MY LAWN! 

Are Emojis The Same As Hieroglyphs? | BEYONDbones

• Like 2