D*cks in chat

Shenanigunner

16 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Edit:  As for Help and General chat I don't remove them so much as move them to their own window which can be more readily ignored unless I'm into popcorn for a bit.

16 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

When I make a new toon Help and General are the first thing edited.

Just to make this thread useful:

1. Creating several organized chat windows really helps. As with so many things, the default arrangement/assignments are... outdated.
  2. You can save your window layout with /wdw_save. Open any optimized alt, save, open any other alt, /wdw_load. Great for starting up new toons without all the fussing around.
  3. You can save your chat configuration (window assignments, channels, defaults) with /chat_save. Same deal, go to any alt you've set up the way you like it, save the chat config, now load it into every other/new alt with /chat_load.

Moving on. *deep breath*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Krimson said:

So if you remove General, basically your experience in chat will be similar to Homecoming from between launch and March 31st of this year. Nothing is lost with the added bonus that if you do happen to still have Help active, it's not as generally chatty as it used to be.

Before General, there were a number of user-created chat channels that divided the chat population. For good or bad, General replaced them all.

If you want to concentrate on your game/team/toon/RP, General doesn't add a useful thing. If you want to hang with other players and can tolerate, say, Koz's endless dad joke postings, it bumps up the "neighborhood bar" vibe a lot.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

36 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

1. You can save your chat configuration (window assignments, channels, defaults) with /chat_save. Same deal, go to any alt you've set up the way you like it, save the chat config, now load it into every other/new alt with /chat_load.

Since i27, my global channels all lose their default status and I have to edit each tab on each alt to add them back.  All my posts on forums and discord regarding this have been overlooked or ignored.  Just FYI for folks using /chatload 😁

6 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Since i27, my global channels all lose their default status and I have to edit each tab on each alt to add them back.  All my posts on forums and discord regarding this have been overlooked or ignored.  Just FYI for folks using /chatload 😁

Huh. Haven't seen any changes/faults on my setups and I am frequently fiddling with/experimenting with them. Maybe the defaults changed on I27 and I just didn't notice. But worth noting, thanks.

Maybe those of us who did have them /saved just /reloaded them without every noticing?

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

I checked every channel for ducks.  Every single channel.

THERE ARE NO DUCKS IN ANY CHAT CHANNEL.

😠

Did you look for DOCKS?

11 hours ago, Krimson said:

I've only seen one user generated channel that actually gets used by people, and it belongs to Freedom Reborn, the group I was with on Live who migrated to City of Heroes from the Freedom Force Community (Superhero RTS game) many moons ago. Any other channel I have joined, and there have been many, don't do much except take up space.

Base builders chat is used a lot

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 1:19 PM, Krimson said:

I've only seen one user generated channel that actually gets used by people, and it belongs to Freedom Reborn, the group I was with on Live who migrated to City of Heroes from the Freedom Force Community (Superhero RTS game) many moons ago. Any other channel I have joined, and there have been many, don't do much except take up space.

Do you do many task forces?  I'm on the task force channels on Everlasting and Indomitable and they are very active.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I'm beginning to suspect many of the user channels are like the traffic jam at the beginning of Office Space... busy until you add them. 😛

18 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Did you look for DOCKS?

I know where the docks are.  That's where you go to find sea men and master baiters.

I want ducks.  Ducks in my hands, ducks all over me, ducks ducks ducks!

No ducks in the mouth, though.  I don't eat friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:55 PM, Shenanigunner said:

A lot is said about the incredible quality of the CoX community, and session after session, year after year, I remain awed at just how damned good, pleasant and helpful this player base is. We've all hung out in other games where the majority of player interaction is abrasive, if not toxic. And recognize that this community sets a high, high standard.

That said, am I the only one seeing a huge rise in dickishness in the chats, especially Help, lately? Not abuse, exactly... it rarely rises to the level worth a /petition or GM involvement, but a... petty nastiness about things being discussed.

Four times now in less than two weeks, I've had something like the following encounter:

• NEWB: Can someone explain Combat Teleport?
  • ME: Fast, short-range TP, can be executed repeatedly.
  • BIGGUS DICKUS: Well, yes, three times.
    Hardly "repeatedly."
    You should learn something about the game before spreading misinformation.
    (Lengthy copy of exact power description from somewhere)
  • [and on it goes, through multiple exchanges, no backing down, no sense at all that most Help answers are short and not exhaustively complete, etc.]
  • Until... ignore.

Just... pointless, aspie-like latching onto a point and *not* *giving* *up* no matter how many other players ring in with calming words or agreement that my answer was short and reasonably correct. I didn't hit the one point that he sees as absolutely crucial, so [Rain of Arrows] it is.

Ruins the session for me. Sometimes the day. I may have to drop Help, and I do feel like I "give something back" there. All because CoX is an escape from the petty sh*t of everything else, as I suspect it is for many of us, and I don't want to log in with all my armor up, if you know what I mean.

Sigh.

I learned a long time ago not to let strangers on the internet affect me... that will help you in the long run. 

If they are not violating the rules and just being a jerk - ignore them. If they violate the rules... report and ignore.

Tada.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:55 PM, Shenanigunner said:

Four times now in less than two weeks, I've had something like the following encounter:

• NEWB: Can someone explain Combat Teleport?
  • ME: Fast, short-range TP, can be executed repeatedly.
  • BIGGUS DICKUS: Well, yes, three times.
    Hardly "repeatedly."
    You should learn something about the game before spreading misinformation.
    (Lengthy copy of exact power description from somewhere)
  • [and on it goes, through multiple exchanges, no backing down, no sense at all that most Help answers are short and not exhaustively complete, etc.]
  • Until... ignore.

Being that BIGGUS DICKUS agreed with you, then said you were wrong -

Perhaps some should 'learn something about the game' before speaking...

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

I know where the docks are.  That's where you go to find sea men and master baiters.

I want ducks.  Ducks in my hands, ducks all over me, ducks ducks ducks!

No ducks in the mouth, though.  I don't eat friends.

You know ducks are evil, right?

I find that my chat logs are filled with so many things, from NPC chatter to global TF recruitment and social channels, that it is difficult for any one of these venues to monopolize the conversation.  And FWIW, I find the tone of the conversation in General on Torchbearer, where I am usually found, to be head and shoulders above that found in other games. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 12/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Huh, I could have sworn I saw someone running around with that name.  Maybe they tricked the censor by swapping out and I for an L, that sort of thing.

“He has a wife, you know...  Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks!”

In all seriousness there is a bit of LFG trolling that I’ve noticed of late, but it’s quickly put on blast and the offender ignored/shouted down.

Some people live a troglodytic existence of tendies and hentai, is all.  This hobby and genre of ours both tend to attract the socially awkward, myself included.

But!  It’s also a huge force for change.  Learning to successfully socialize in cooperative games like this can and does translate into real-world experience.

Eventually even a troglodyte can see the light and leave their cave.

This cavedweller managed to get a doctorate where he deals with patients every day, so everyone has the potential for growth!

I kinda wonder if the globals I’ve got on Ignore have messaged me months later trying to join my TF or the like.

That’s the biggest blowback; they may be permanently isolating their account from large portions of the community.  Shunning themselves, if you will.

• Like 1

I never worry about people who give more information, provided it's accurate. 

But - for responses that seem to attack you - there's only one solution - ignore them. I don't mean put them on ignore, simply don't acknowledge their response. And FFS, don't let other people impact how YOU feel. That's craziness. You're trying to be helpful. Take comfort in that and let the rest slide off your back. Life is too short to give other people influence over your mood. Only you control how you feel. Seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Luminara said:

That is baseless slander propagated by geese.

Geese are evil.  Ducks are angelic.

"... and as our final order of business, just a brief progress report demonstrating that our plan to create strife between the Ducks and Geese is progressing apace ..."

- overheard at recent Owluminati meeting

e06a4d1f942333d426e886bc912e6581.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.