Any Updates on the "no streaming" rule?

jackalcoh

Hi - I'm a streamer.  I love streaming video games and interacting with my fans who enjoy my content.

COH is and will always be my favorite video game.  Period.  I love this game.  I have so many good memories in this game.  I've met 2 partners inside this game. You'll never truly understand how much I love this game.

I want to share my love for this game with the world.    But I will take no actions that  would ever jeopardize my access to this game.  In other words I abide by the rules.

That said, would you please, please, please reconsider your "no streaming" rule?  It's been over a year now that we've had access to the game and it's completely changed my life again.

Would you please let of stream it?    It means so much to me on a personal level and it would mean everything if I could just show my love for this game to the world.

I'm begging - please let us stream COH: Homecoming.

All Primals are suspect. 

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, jackalcoh said:

Hi - I'm a streamer.  I love streaming video games and interacting with my fans who enjoy my content.

COH is and will always be my favorite video game.  Period.  I love this game.  I have so many good memories in this game.  I've met 2 partners inside this game. You'll never truly understand how much I love this game.

I want to share my love for this game with the world.    But I will take no actions that  would ever jeopardize my access to this game.  In other words I abide by the rules.

That said, would you please, please, please reconsider your "no streaming" rule?  It's been over a year now that we've had access to the game and it's completely changed my life again.

Would you please let of stream it?    It means so much to me on a personal level and it would mean everything if I could just show my love for this game to the world.

I'm begging - please let us stream COH: Homecoming.

It's not up to Homecoming.  It's up to NCSoft.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

It's up to NCSoft.

It all is.

The point of forbidding streaming is that, especially for popular streamers like yourself, it could be seen as profiting from the game, which would aggro the NCSoft lawyers.

I am not a streamer, but I have enjoyed CoH streams, and I look forward to the time when it is again allowed.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

36 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

It always comes down to the lawyers.

Now there's a villain group we could all get some leveling from...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I'm one for full transparency, @Ukase.  Always.

However, in this instance (and some other situation(s) related to the T.o.U.) I give the Homecoming the benefit of the doubt here.

I've been on the receiving end of N.D.A.s (and can not confirm if that's still the case), so I know how absolutely draconian and irrational some of the clauses can appear (or straight-up BE).

We do not have any proof.  

We have reasonable extrapolation from what has been said and what the Homecoming Team have made a point of specifically not replying to.

Could the HC Team be taking us all for a ride?

Absolutely.  I won't deny that possibility.

But in all the things they've done or not done, this one seems to be the most "above board" of any of the otherwise questionable decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I don't accept this. There's no evidence to suggest NCSoft has anything to do with the policy.

Kindly give a source, please. 

Im thinking the fact that they own the rights/images/content to the game, while HC has "hijacked it" for their own use, is really all the evidence thats needed 

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Im thinking the fact that they own the rights/images/content to the game, while HC has "hijacked it" for their own use, is really all the evidence thats needed 

So...HC is okay with hijacking it - but not okay with folks streaming it. This is what I have a hard time wrapping my head around. 

I do get that HC would like to find a way to legitimize it. Makes sense. Then they don't get in legal/financial trouble, assuming there's risk of that. I am not an attorney, I can't say with certainty one way or the other. And, given the way things often play out in court, I don't think any attorneys would be comfortable stating anything with certainty. 

I do get that HC - as the ones who have given up much of their time, knowledge, skills to allow us to play here, we should abide by their wishes to not stream. Fine. Personally, I have no desire to stream or see any streaming. 

What I don't get is how this policy has any bearing on "Talks" which are almost always under some kind of NDA, and things are kept so hush-hush, we have no way of knowing if any talks are actually taking place at all.

That said, it costs me nothing to trust HC at the moment and accept their word at face value. I don't have to understand why. It doesn't have to make sense. Ultimately, it's none of my business. But if you're gonna say it's NCSoft - I want to know what you read that stated, "NCSoft asked us to stop the streaming in order for us to do...etc. " 

It's simple to say, "It makes sense to not do it. Let that sleeping dog lie."
But that's not really the same thing to me. 

3 minutes ago, Ukase said:

So...HC is okay with hijacking it - but not okay with folks streaming it. This is what I have a hard time wrapping my head around. 

I do get that HC would like to find a way to legitimize it. Makes sense. Then they don't get in legal/financial trouble, assuming there's risk of that. I am not an attorney, I can't say with certainty one way or the other. And, given the way things often play out in court, I don't think any attorneys would be comfortable stating anything with certainty. 

I do get that HC - as the ones who have given up much of their time, knowledge, skills to allow us to play here, we should abide by their wishes to not stream. Fine. Personally, I have no desire to stream or see any streaming. 

What I don't get is how this policy has any bearing on "Talks" which are almost always under some kind of NDA, and things are kept so hush-hush, we have no way of knowing if any talks are actually taking place at all.

That said, it costs me nothing to trust HC at the moment and accept their word at face value. I don't have to understand why. It doesn't have to make sense. Ultimately, it's none of my business. But if you're gonna say it's NCSoft - I want to know what you read that stated, "NCSoft asked us to stop the streaming in order for us to do...etc. " 

It's simple to say, "It makes sense to not do it. Let that sleeping dog lie."
But that's not really the same thing to me. 

I understand what you're saying,

Im thinking the person who responded "NCSoft" simply meant that they own the property, and therefore was up to them if anyone streamed content.  Think you may be looking into the statement a little to hard

If it was me - I wouldnt have said NDA, or talks - I would have simply said, stream it and you lose it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

How do you think intellectual property and the real world works lol

Clearly it works as well as the holders of the IP are willing to work it. All about the dollars and cents. But how I think it works is irrelevant. What is relevant is we have a party that is basically creating a place for us to play this game with code they didn't develop or publish. I can't say who took it - but HC along with other folks have copies of the code, and most have changed it in some fashion. And for some reason, streaming the game makes HC believe their efforts to legitimize the game would impede that process. 

What more needs to be said? I'm simply saying that NCSoft hasn't stated anything to my knowledge about streaming. I figure if someone is stating such, maybe they've seen something I haven't. Just wanted to know where/what. That's all. 

5 hours ago, Ukase said:

I don't accept this. There's no evidence to suggest NCSoft has anything to do with the policy.

Kindly give a source, please. 

Some moron with over a million pre-teen followers on YouTube made a video showing how you can make and play The Incredible Hulk on Homecoming.  The video was quickly taken down due to a copyright takedown notice.  Now, who can legitimately file a copyright infringement notice in regards to City of Heroes?

Very shortly after that incident, Homecoming announced their no streaming policy.

It's pretty easy to add two + two and come up with four.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes it works as well as as the holders wish ... to an extent.  My mom worked for years as a legal secretary for patent and trademarks attorneys and one thing she mentioned once might apply here.  Really huge company owns something.  Really tiny company develops similarly product or names a their own similar product a similar name as huge companies product.  Huge company could ignore this, it's barely a blip on their radar, tiny company couldn't remotely stop them in court battle or directly hurt them financially.  But huge company does nothing, ignores it.  Now another huge company comes along and also "copies" product or name.  This can cause considerable financial trouble.  To court we go where rival company now says to judge but they did nothing when tiny company did the same thing, that's not fair!  Basically it weakens their court case if they don't curb stomp the heck out anyone or anything that might infringe on their name or product.  Or put another way in that light if you've got a tiger by the cajones don't give it any reason to turn and bite.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Some moron with over a million pre-teen followers on YouTube made a video showing how you can make and play The Incredible Hulk on Homecoming.  The video was quickly taken down due to a copyright takedown notice.  Now, who can legitimately file a copyright infringement notice in regards to City of Heroes?

Very shortly after that incident, Homecoming announced their no streaming policy.

It's pretty easy to add two + two and come up with four.

Marvel/Disney could have filed the claim, since it was The Incredible Hulk

Edited by Ghost

Yes, that's why companies like Disney come down on things like a school painting Mickey Mouse on a wall. The actual violation is below trivial...except that it creates a crack in the trademark/copyright that a more significant use could exploit as evidence that the 'mark is not being protected. Yes, Disney is a basket of a**holes, but they are not really that massively petty for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

7 hours ago, Ukase said:

HC straight-up said that they were banning streaming because it violates TOS on the streaming sites, and that they hope to be able to reallow streaming once the talks with NCSoft are complete.  I don't really know how much plainer they can put it.

• Like 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 12/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, Apparition said:

It's not up to Homecoming.  It's up to NCSoft.

Except I see other people daily streaming from other private servers. Thunderspy, for one. There's another two or three I forget the name of, but there's no such restriction on those. NCSoft isn't serving them a cease and desist, because it's a fairly regular occurrence. Seems HC is the ONLY ones doing this. Also, if it violates Twitch's service, why then for the past......however long HC has had the restriction have these people been able to stream from OTHER servers? Again, it's literally only HC here. Which is perfectly within their purview, but the reasons being given are shady due to non-unilateral enforcement. I.E., if Homecoming can't stream due to ToS violations, then why can Thunderspy? Or those others? With seeming impunity, too.

Edited by OldManMercy
  • Thanks 1