A "Designated Hitter" Shard

55 minutes ago, Chance Jackson said:

What is/was the GM merit farm? I never heard of it till now

There are certain AE maps where you could insert giant monsters into.  Some people figured out that if you add some helper NPCs (Kins ahoy), and a bunch of GMs into these particular AE maps, you'll be making gobs of reward merits in no time.

• Like 1

This seems like yet another "Classic WoW" call.

Except that you want your favored shard to be transformed into the "Classic WoW" shard and everyone else to move to the "Genie" shard.  You want everyone else to play your way or move to another shard.

I vote no, just as I voted no to the "gimme all travel powers" thread you cite.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

But the power gamers — mostly veterans who have rolled up more than their share of toons, to be fair — are continually asking for the game to be dulled/dumbed down for everyone else.

Vet who's rolled more than my fair share (300-some live, over 100 here) of characters...

I see more asking for things to stay the same or not be made easier, frankly. So honestly, I'd have to question the whole premise of where you're coming from.

• Like 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

13 hours ago, Apparition said:

There are certain AE maps where you could insert giant monsters into.  Some people figured out that if you add some helper NPCs (Kins ahoy), and a bunch of GMs into these particular AE maps, you'll be making gobs of reward merits in no time.

Hopefully this exploit was fixed.

19 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It was, otherwise I would not have explained it.  Giant monsters no longer give reward merits in AE.

Thank sweet baby Atlas. You'll notice I frown on AE and am not always thoroughly conversant with the redonk exploits.

😂

Edited by SwitchFade

On 1/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Tyrannical said:

The last few big patches introduced new powersets and low-level mission content, that's accommodating the opposite of end-game crowd.

Say it again.  The people in the back didn't hear you apparently!!! 💯

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Hopefully this exploit was fixed.

The funny part is this one was really tame compared to one that was around last summer...

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I think this was answered on the first page by hardship

On 1/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, Hardship said:

The test servers are pretty much like this now. Log in, make a character, give it as much XP as you want to be whatever level you'd like.

You don't need a base because you can get any IO you want.  All the zones are there.. So you can PVP or do a Hami raid. 

I mean everything you are asking truly does exist ATM.. 

I am NOT trying to shove anyone off but if you have X amount of friends/in game player base that you know that really want this, make the move to the test servers.. 

I know many people in games actually live on the test servers for various reasons. These are also the people that are picked up when a new Xpac is coming out and they look for Alpha testers so it has it's perks as well. 

For everyone else there is  no reason to shoot this idea down because you can't shoot down something that already exist..  

Edited by plainguy
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 12:05 AM, plainguy said:

I think this was answered on the first page by hardship

You don't need a base because you can get any IO you want.  All the zones are there.. So you can PVP or do a Hami raid. 

I mean everything you are asking truly does exist ATM.. 

I am NOT trying to shove anyone off but if you have X amount of friends/in game player base that you know that really want this, make the move to the test servers.. 

I know many people in games actually live on the test servers for various reasons. These are also the people that are picked up when a new Xpac is coming out and they look for Alpha testers so it has it's perks as well. 

For everyone else there is  no reason to shoot this idea down because you can't shoot down something that already exist..  

If the test servers didn't completely wipe from time to time to make room for changes to actually test, I think it would be at least as big as the smallest shard. Keeping badges from exploring and other grind work is the only thing stopping me, and I am not that big a badger.

The offset of not having to worry about any sort of gear grinding has not been enough of a sway... yet. That could change if I get the itch to do a lot more alting.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

I think, like so many other MMOs have ways to start alts at higher levels at start, why not at creation have a box or something you can choose your character's level to start with and be done with it. For those very high leveled players, frankly, I have second account farmers, I can make a new alt, send them straight to AE and in a few hours they are 50; so what is the big deal? Why not dispense with the tedium andlet folks who already has a 50 begin alts at 50?

Sue

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Agreed.  If Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion merged, it would still have a lower population than Excelsior.

Merge those.

Keep Excelsior as is.

Label Everlasting as "Roleplay" so newer players (or new to Homecoming) know which server is the one people are looking to RP on.  Make some announcement like RP encouraged, but not mandatory or whatever. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

One big argument against merging servers... The "Who gets to keep their name?"-fights would be absolutely brutal.

Yeah, but it's already happening.  Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion have been slowly but steadily draining to Excelsior and Everlasting for the past year and a half.  If they merged the servers, they'd have a good population again and have a better chance of keeping their character name than if just everyone moved to Excelsior and/or Everlasting.  Plus, a server merge would prevent Excelsior and Everlasting from getting too big as the server drain from Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion continues.

• Like 1

So forgive me if I missed anything relevant, I just kinda skipped to the end when the thread derailed into boohooing, naysaying, and telling the OP to go away.

In the lotto-dream style of thinking about "What If?" something I would love to see done, either on such a server, or as a means of bypassing the "need to get to 50" would be the conversion of all enemies in the entire game to dynamic level, like SK/GM code. Then, if you're level 1 and you really want to start out in Cim, you can do so (well after TUNNELing to Night Ward, then Midnighter's Club in Cap). You still get stronger as you level, so there's still a benefit to it, but you can play anything, anywhere in the process. From then on, there's no need to accommodate those on either end of the spectrum at the expense of those on the other end, and development can focus on adding more content, whether it be powers, costumes, zones, missions, whatever.

I'm gonna go play the game now, whilst dodging wadded up paper and over-ripe fruit.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Yeah, but it's already happening.  Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion have been slowly but steadily draining to Excelsior and Everlasting for the past year and a half.  If they merged the servers, they'd have a good population again and have a better chance of keeping their character name than if just everyone moved to Excelsior and/or Everlasting.  Plus, a server merge would prevent Excelsior and Everlasting from getting too big as the server drain from Torchbearer, Indomitable, and Reunion continues.

Moving to a new server by your own choice is a whole different ball of yarn than being forced into it by a merge, I think... And I'm saying that as someone who lost the name of a day one pre-start character in Aion when they merged my original server with a larger one. <_<

Losing a name in a voluntary move is bad enough... Losing one to something you DIDN'T have a choice about is much more annoying. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Correction for everyone else: this wouldn't be so much a new code base as much as separate server settings (AS FAR AS I KNOW). Everything that's being asked for here is already maintained on the Beta server. The OP is really asking for (unknowingly?) A beta shard that never experiences server wipes.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, Shenanigunner said:

For every change that has taken away a minor annoyance or hurdle and made veteran play a little more pleasant, there have been changes that (IMVHO) simply remove a proper part of the leveling strategy to make some character advance cost-free.

However, I never saw the part where you explained how Homecoming has caved to the "make the game easier" crowd.  Literally the only thing I can think of is low-level SOs, which is not at all what you claim - the very people who want to skip levels do not bother with SOs. They don't even bother with the low levels!

• Like 2

• 1 month later