An open letter to the Paragon City office architect

Dear Sir/Madam,

Were you drunk or high when you designed the office?

I assume you had a city wide contract for office blocks & municipal buildings and applied the one size doesn't fit all template, signed off early and went back to the pub.

I congratulate you on a scam well done.

Yours faithfully,

all heroes trying to find the lift or that one last room with an NPC hiding in it.

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Imagine being the guy who delivers the water there.

"Okay, I've got a pen, I'm ready to write down the directions. Alright, so I go in, then left, up the stairs, down the hall, to the elevator... which only goes up one floor? Wait, is that right? It is? Okay, sure, whatever. Then I cross the lobby, up two more flights of stairs, through someone's office, and down another hall, to another elevator that also only goes up one floor. Hold on, do all of the elevators in this building only go a single floor at a time? And none of them are located anywhere near each other? And you need a dozen ten-gallon bottles delivered to which floor? The thirty-fifth, you say? Yeah, that's not happening. Have a nice day."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Drop Dead Gorgeous (Psionic Melee/Dark Armor stalker, 27 June 2024)

Bergholt Stuttley (‘Bloody Stupid’) Johnson was Ankh-Morpork’s most famous, or rather most notorious, inventor. He was renowned for never letting his number-blindness, his lack of any skill whatsoever or his complete failure to grasp the essence of a problem stand in the way of his cheerful progress as the first Counter-Renaissance man.

Terry Pratchett, Maskerade

Possibly a distance ancestor of the above?  ^_^

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sometimes I find myself in that one, lone office down a flight of stairs in a corner, looking at a desk and wondering what horrible social faux pas a person has to commit to end up working in this little corner of hell.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

I remember on the old RP Congress site, I posited a secret conspiracy of the elevator repairman's union to explain how even decrepit ruined skyscrapers in Boomtown or rusty abandoned bases or laboratories nonetheless had working elevators. Even Lord Recluse knew better than to mess with them.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

• 1 year later

"So what? I guess they just don't make them like they used to."

"No! Nobody *ever* made them like this! I mean, the architect was either a certified genius, or an authentic wacko!"

Edited by justicebeliever
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

It occurred to me far later than it  probably should have that I should just be able to click ‘top floor’ at the first elevator I come to...

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

18 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

It occurred to me far later than it  probably should have that I should just be able to click ‘top floor’ at the first elevator I come to...

It's all the same elevator, it's just corkscrewed throughout all of space-time. 

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

You know, while I was playing live I had this idea, not necessarily one for the future of the game (not even sure it's possible) but something for maybe some future MMO that might find itself using logically multi-leveled facilities for instances.

Basic idea would be that elevators give a floor list and you can pick any floor to ascend (or descend) to, but once you use the elevator, it's locked down until you beat all enemy spawns on the floor (or maybe even a key one, depending on the mission I guess). But if you really are in a rush, most all instances would include alternate means to scale the levels depending on how many there are. There'd be firestairs, air vents, utility elevators, etc. as possible alternative ways to get around, but like the elevator, if you're not on the floor you want then that method gets 'locked down by the enemy', requiring you to clear the floor to free it back up again. Could also give some maps an inherent bonus objective of like accessing a security room or something to keep the means of egress through the building free.

From there, challenge could still be had by not necessarily playing the objectives on the top floor, or just having certain levels be locked on starting the mission.

This still doesn't solve all the insanity of office buildings though, given the sheer chaos of their design.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 3:39 PM, jubakumbi said:

OSHA has left the building...

Who am I kidding?

OSHA was never here...

OSHA was there.  They're tied up in a straight jacket, still in convulsions, still screaming "It doesn't make sense!  Why doesn't it make sense!!!"

Edited by MTeague
  • Haha 1