Anyone have a good cornbread recipe?

Sakai

This is the cornbread recipe I grew up with so it's the standard by which I judge other cornbread. I have not made it in a while, but I've made it plenty of times and never been disappointed. It's got a little more texture to it, as opposed to what I consider cornbread-flavored cake, which I've run across a few times. In addition to making it in an 8 by 8 pan, I've also made it in a cast iron corncob baking mold that was my grandmother's (similar to this one) and it turns out great in those too.

3/4 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tbsp shortening, melted

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, and shortening. Bake in a shallow (8”x 8”) pan at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

This is the cornbread recipe I grew up with so it's the standard by which I judge other cornbread. I have not made it in a while, but I've made it plenty of times and never been disappointed. It's got a little more texture to it, as opposed to what I consider cornbread-flavored cake, which I've run across a few times. In addition to making it in an 8 by 8 pan, I've also made it in a cast iron corncob baking mold that was my grandmother's (similar to this one) and it turns out great in those too.

3/4 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tbsp shortening, melted

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Add milk, egg, and shortening. Bake in a shallow (8”x 8”) pan at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

Only heathens put sugar in cornbread.  🙂  But this is the one I use as well without the sugar.

• Thanks 1

I've a beloved cornmeal & sage dressing recipe we use every year during the holidays.  It is one of the three ingredients in a dynamite turkey-rice-dressing soup we make.  Sadly no cornbread dressing to pass on.  Doubly sad, because I'm a born Southerner, descended from Midwestern farmers.  You'd think that'd be a staple in our home.  

And yeah, no sugar.  If you want it sweet, a drizzle of honey at serving time would be the way to go.

They turned out pretty well...I was very happy. I understand what everyone is saying about the sugar but I was ok with it. 

Next I'm going to try one that has a higher cornmeal to flour ratio.  I like the slight grittiness of some I have had. 

I also hear good things about extracting jalapeño flavour in heated milk. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

I should probably learn to make savory corn bread, for nostalgia.

But I do try to mimic the blueberry corn muffins that I used to get at the shop across from a former workplace long, long ago.

All I do though is multiply the recipe on the box by 1.5 (yup, 3 eggs instead of 2, everything else 1.5x) and add a bunch of blueberries.  Done. 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
had to look at some notes

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

In our household, using a cast iron skillet is not only preferred but required. Put a dollop of bacon grease in the pan, toss in the oven to heat pan and melt bacon grease. Makes for the perfect, golden, crispy crust.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 2 months later