Does anyone else find Fold space a Troll power?

laonidas

2 hours ago, Andreah said:

Well, we could go off into another direction to talk about increasing the general level of challenge in the game. But you knowhow that will go.

First, we need to talk about nerfing regen.

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:55 AM, Erratic1 said:

Seems to be an excessively uncharitable reading of the OP.

If I wanted to be uncharitable I'd say go get your shine box.

wait for it.

Go get your shine box.

Edited by wjrasmussen
typo

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

5 hours ago, Andreah said:

Can get nice opening combos. E.g., Kin/Sonic Defender -- Repel Toggle up, do Fold Space, Fulcrum Shift, Dreadful Wail, Judgment ... and then spam Transfusion and hope a tank picks up the aggro. This is a good reason to only do this when you're next to the main tank, tbh.

My Kin has the S/L/E Defense combo along with KD Repel. I had not considered joining the Church of the Holy Fold Space on that one, however, you’ve just convinced me to look into it.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

36 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

My Kin has the S/L/E Defense combo along with KD Repel. I had not considered joining the Church of the Holy Fold Space on that one, however, you’ve just convinced me to look into it.

Mine doesn't have defense. Or resists. Or much of anything past inspirations. Just Repel-KD. If the tank doesn't save me, I'm toast! This adds a heightened sense of danger -- especially since I play very offensively. I'm right with the tank, and sometimes (oops!) there first. 

I'm surprised I don't die more than I already do. 😄 Also, Combat Teleport is great for escaping otherwise certain defeat.

• Haha 1

Didn't see this mentioned but apologies if it was just missed:

Most people are probably not trolling with Fold Space: it's entirely about how it works.

Fold Space is a pbaoe, meaning you cannot target what you want to teleport. Once activated, good luck figuring out who all it will seek out and in what order to fulfill its (16 target, iirc) target cap.

@laonidaswhat you're probably seeing is people looking at a group that probably doesn't even involve you and activating it. They don't even know if they were successful or not - just that now they're surrounded by targets and that's good enough.

It's not a crutch, it's not worthless, it's not troll. It's just a tool, and you gotta learn how to use it.

(I am rosy-eyed in my cynicism: I think this power is too much work for most people to take the time to figure it out just so they can troll with it)

Edited by Replacement

Rep is right, as a PBAoE, it will hit up to 16 targets within a 100 ft radius. It will prioritize who gets hit by performing hit roles on the nearest target, then checks the next closest, then the next closest after that...repeating until a 16th target is successfully hit or if there are no more targets to check against.

Personally, I prefer to slot only recharge as I want to not hit the targets closest to me. They're already close by, so skip them. I like improving my odds getting to pull the furthest enemies, even though I am at risk of missing more targets and potentially not pulling a full 16.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

On 3/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, laonidas said:

This has been my experience so far with Fold Space, but I was simply wondering is another players have been having this same issue. 

My experience has been the polar opposite.  My main character is a blaster, and I regularly run with an experienced Warshade (Conventus) that also has a lot of experience tanking (pulling mobs into tight groups while be insanely survivable).  I can't tell you how many times the warshade has used [Shadow Slip] to force a pile of enemies onto my AoE DoT patches or right as I'm charging up a nuke.  It's a hell of a rush to be preparing up a Build-Up boosted [Inferno] and a pile of enemies warp right into it before you fire it off.  If only there was a way to see the utter shock & surprise on the faces of the bad guys! 😄

It sounds like you're dealing with difference between somebody who knows how to use it effectively on a team, versus somebody who does not (or doesn't care to learn).

It also sounds like your team tactics expectations are way too high for a random PuG team, if I may say so.  @laonidas, you're welcome to join us on Everlasting and we can show off what clever tactical usage of [Fold Space] or [Shadow Slip] looks like.

Oh and btw, if it comes to trolling there's easier methods, such as misuse of [Taunt] or misuse of knockback.  At least this power will group up the enemies in a pile (which is something I'm always looking around to hit with AoEs, nice tight piles of enemies).

On 3/8/2021 at 11:52 PM, Veracor said:

I love it when people use Fold Space to group all the Hamidon Buds together.  I also don't mind it, as a tank, when people use it on regular content.  That's just my team saying they're ready for me to jump into more mobs.  If they die, "Oh I'm sorry, it looked to me like Blaster wanted the aggro for that group."

And then I use Vengeance.

Indeed.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:31 AM, Grindingsucks said:

That does sound annoying.  It seems like the most efficient way to use the power on a team would be to hover directly over the tank and then fire the power.  Mobs should then drop down around the tanker, who can easily taunt them to his/her hearts content.  

Exactly!  This is especially true on those damned Council cave maps with all their catwalks and enemies scattered around.  Just vacuum them up with [Fold Space] or [Shadow Slip] and dump right on the tanker.  Same thing for MSR's, with those pesky ranged Rikti that refuse to follow down the ramps.  It is a very utilitarian power, when used cleverly.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, Andreah said:

As an aside, I recommend you look into the one button option for wormhole using "/bind <key of your choice> powexec_location camera:max Wornhole". Whatever mob you have targeted, and the group around that mob, even if selected ten seconds ago, a hundred feet away, and behind a wall, will but shot through spacetime to whatever spot on the ground, walls, or air that's in the exact center of your screen. Slot a KB to KD IO to Wormhole to make sure they stay in that spot afterwards. 

Nice tip!  Never knew that was a possibility!

On 3/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, Gunrunner said:

Dear gods I hate this power.  The single worst thing to come out of i28.  Instead of getting ready to engage a large group of mobs, Surprise!  And a couple folks are maybe dead or in dire straits.  Hell, I'm not too happy with Wormhole, at least not in a team.  Awesome power solo.   Most folks seem to share that sentiment, but Fold Space keeps on keepin' on.

I make it a point to mention how much I dislike Fold Space as soon as someone fires it.

Seriously? The only time I've ever had an issue with it is on my stalker, but that's because I wasn't reading the combat situation, not because of fold space.  It's an excellent power and it's shame you've never seen it used well.  Or maybe you're just a highly toxic player, but I'll try to assume you've just not seen it used well.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hew said:

or much huger on a tank slotted for range... cough cough cough

It should be bigger on a Tanker, but Ranged mods won't make a difference, it's a PBAOE and Range doesn't affect AOE radius. 

There should be a set / pool which is all about expanding AOE radii and cone arcs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

There should be a set / pool which is all about expanding AOE radii and cone arcs. 

Yes, a proc for Fold Space that should grab all mobs on the map and can only be triggered from inside a dumpster.  😉

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 6

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

19 hours ago, Bopper said:

Rep is right, as a PBAoE, it will hit up to 16 targets within a 100 ft radius. It will prioritize who gets hit by performing hit roles on the nearest target, then checks the next closest, then the next closest after that...repeating until a 16th target is successfully hit or if there are no more targets to check against.

Personally, I prefer to slot only recharge as I want to not hit the targets closest to me. They're already close by, so skip them. I like improving my odds getting to pull the furthest enemies, even though I am at risk of missing more targets and potentially not pulling a full 16.

There's wisdom in this, especially because Fold Space comes in the same pool as Combat Teleport, so you can modify your ToHit on the fly for the more important pulls.

Overall I've found Fold Space most useful for characters who rely on gathered enemy as a source for leeching resources. My Elec/Psi Dominator for example uses it to gather enemies for Drain Psyche and Power Sink. It's especially useful for bunching up minions and lieutenants for powers with 10-15ft radii. Drain Psyche, Power Sink, Soul Drain, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Sadly, it hard caps to 100’, however, it does proc Gauntlet.

This I rely on. It works a million times better on a tank than a brute. I thought it would be good on my farmer brute, but my not farmer tank gets much much much more agro control out of it than the brute ever does.

Interesting that one of the greatest powers in gravity control is now a power pool for anyone. Feels a bit meh to me. Sorry.

Fold Space was actually the name of the Gravity Control power before they got Singularity.

Teleporting mobs around and controlling them is surely for more support/manipulative heroes and villains, not your brutes and blasters. Oh well ...

Sorry to be negative, but that’s my feedback.

• Like 2

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

IMO, Gravity needed help before fold space but now FS makes it more evident. For grav, one thing I suggest is random mag3 hard controls added to the mobs inside diminsion shift and the effects should last for like 10 sec after DS is untoggled - to make it safer to go inside, to give it quick soft control use, and to allow more I/O possibilities.

Back to FS... though I like it and use it, it feels cheaty that a pool control power animate that fast and that affected mobs don't seem to show fx right before they are blinked away. I also kind of liked the idea of using the mob's current aggro level and target to determine if they get blinked...though it doesn't really make sense to resist teleportation to me it is already in game as an I/O.

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Interesting that one of the greatest powers in gravity control is now a power pool for anyone. Feels a bit meh to me. Sorry.

Fold Space was actually the name of the Gravity Control power before they got Singularity.

Teleporting mobs around and controlling them is surely for more support/manipulative heroes and villains, not your brutes and blasters. Oh well ...

Sorry to be negative, but that’s my feedback.

You should try Fold Space.

The mechanics and specifics make it a very different experience from Wormhole.

If you are going on theme alone (mass teleport), that would be like saying blazing aura is basically fireball.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Stand by. I tested this to be 100' on tanker for certain, but I need to repeat on an up to date environment.

I tested it to be 150' when it released and double-checked before I made that post.  No need to stand by.

30 minutes ago, josh1622 said:

I tested it to be 150' when it released and double-checked before I made that post.  No need to stand by.

No as in just yesterday I proved it would not hit a target at 104'. I will triple check and make sure beta matches live but this isn't so simple.

Method: I landed a thumbtack directly to the right (about 2' in game) of a gray con bad guy.

I then moved out to just over 100' and activated FS.

It grabbed 2 others but not him.

Check log: only 2 accuracy rolls, no misses.

• Like 1