Does anyone else find Fold space a Troll power?

laonidas

13 hours ago, Greycat said:

... say "Don't Fold Space mobs away from me, please." If it continues, note the player and don't team with them again.

I would also recommend Space Folders do the same and avoid teaming with whiners. Heck we’re just getting into general advice here aren’t we.

• Like 1

There's a certain point where we have to play cooperatively, or not. 

Calling any power usage "trolling" is implying the user's intent isn't just to play the game, but deliberately to annoy you. If we could read that into anything anyone else would do, we would be here all day listing out our peeves. If you're setting a carefully chosen power combo on a mob, and someone comes over and one-shots it, is that trolling? Or were you trolling by playing with that mob instead of killing it so the group can move to the next spawn? Do we get upset at the blaster or kheld for scattering all the mobs around the room? Are they KB-trolling us or just playing their powers? What about dimension shift? League teleports via incand? People who spam buffs? People who make us invisible? People with garish costumes or borderline names?

Maybe some of them are trolling. But I'd have to care if they are or not to really be affected by it. Enjoy the game. Play cooperatively. Don't expect too much from pick-up-groups. Give people a break when you can. Ask politely if it's something that really gets your goat. Move on to the next team if they still don't want to play to your liking.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Andreah said:

There's a certain point where we have to play cooperatively, or not. 

Calling any power usage "trolling" is implying the user's intent isn't just to play the game, but deliberately to annoy you. If we could read that into anything anyone else would do, we would be here all day listing out our peeves. If you're setting a carefully chosen power combo on a mob, and someone comes over and one-shots it, is that trolling? Or were you trolling by playing with that mob instead of killing it so the group can move to the next spawn? Do we get upset at the blaster or kheld for scattering all the mobs around the room? Are they KB-trolling us or just playing their powers? What about dimension shift? League teleports via incand? People who spam buffs? People who make us invisible? People with garish costumes or borderline names?

Maybe some of them are trolling. But I'd have to care if they are or not to really be affected by it. Enjoy the game. Play cooperatively. Don't expect too much from pick-up-groups. Give people a break when you can. Ask politely if it's something that really gets your goat. Move on to the next team if they still don't want to play to your liking.

If it is fair for you not to bothered by it, it is fair for the OP to be bothered by it, especially in light of them not having any fun with their powers. The only question is what to do about it.

I  was on a team with my Water/Kinetics Corruptor and repeatedly, just before Fulcrum Shift would animate on a large spawn some person in the group would blow the spawn apart,  meaning Fulcrum Shift delivered far less than it could have.

I was on another team with a Blaster and the person with Gravity kept opening up with Dimension Shift. When I noted that meant I could do nothing to them they said all I had to do was get close. Me...a blaster...get close.

In both cases I simply thanked the group for the invites and moved on. No muss, no fuss. I was free to think poorly of the people doing such things and they were free from my thoughts about their thoughtlessness.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Like 1

Dear gods I hate this power.  The single worst thing to come out of i28.  Instead of getting ready to engage a large group of mobs, Surprise!  And a couple folks are maybe dead or in dire straits.  Hell, I'm not too happy with Wormhole, at least not in a team.  Awesome power solo.   Most folks seem to share that sentiment, but Fold Space keeps on keepin' on.

I make it a point to mention how much I dislike Fold Space as soon as someone fires it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gunrunner said:

Dear gods I hate this power.  The single worst thing to come out of i28.  Instead of getting ready to engage a large group of mobs, Surprise!  And a couple folks are maybe dead or in dire straits.  Hell, I'm not too happy with Wormhole, at least not in a team.  Awesome power solo.   Most folks seem to share that sentiment, but Fold Space keeps on keepin' on.

I make it a point to mention how much I dislike Fold Space as soon as someone fires it.

That largely has to do with people not really understanding how it works.

Ultimately, that is the result of unawareness/uncaring of people on the team. _I_ can survive, thats what matters. These are the same people that run +4 to them (+5 to everyone else) mishs that THEY can survive, and the rest of the damn team spends half the mish dead because those OTHER people cant survive.

Using it is fine, but so many people just dont care about their teammates that it is (indirectly) something of a griefing tool. Much like +4 to me teams.

8 minutes ago, Gunrunner said:

Back on live I used Wormhole all the time on teams and never had a complaint. Of course I would usually gather things up and stick them in a corner and not drop them on someone (other than a ready Tanker every now and then as the situation warranted).

Of course back then I got compliments for my (rare) uses of Dimension Shift to save groups too.

Having a power does not mean using it willy-nilly. The old saying about having only a hammer as a tool making you see all problem as nails? We have more tools at our disposal.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

/em ponders how to fit Fold Space into his Energy Blast builds to get even more flak from team mates...

4 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

And now I know how to respec my grav/nrg dom. Thanks, man!

Can you guys fit in the power picks for Group Fly as well?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Xenosone said:

Aoe immob is more of a troll power than fold space. Unless youre a tank its pretty short. Even 150' is pretty short. 

Please take your aoe immob off autocast. Gale too

The funny thing is that you can use Fold Space to bunch mobs up, then the AoE Immob to keep them in place, then Gale to keep knocking them down in place. So the same set of powers that could be used to annoy people could also be used usefully by some user.

Also, for maximum annoyance potential, make a Grav/Storm. WAY better than Grav/Nrg, and actually great when soloing. Then when the team starts to complain about the Wormholing, Space Folding, AoE Immobing, Dimention Shifting, Hurricaning, Tornadoing, and of course, the Gale-ing... you say "Hold my beer. Actually, nevermind, Singy can hold it", and destroy the next spawn alone.

THEN you go back to Space Trolling 😉

• Like 2

Fold space is such a me-me power with little practical value in teamplay since mobs die so quickly thanks to all the power creep in CoH today. I think it's gross how fast the animation is compared to Wormhole while also partially diminishing the novelty of Wormhole itself.

The Warshade variant however, is pretty radical since it sort of matches the archetype thematically. Elements in their kit also requires bodies up close all combined with a badass animation.

8 minutes ago, Nayeh said:

Fold space is such a me-me power with little practical value in teamplay since mobs die so quickly thanks to all the power creep in CoH today. I think it's gross how fast the animation is compared to Wormhole while also partially diminishing the novelty of Wormhole itself.

I disagree. Fold Space synergizes with many group powers, keeps mobs on the tanker, undoes knockback scattering of mobs, and keeps the density of mobs high on stacked Aoe-dots.

Like any power, it can be used poorly.  In my experience using it liberally on pugs with both my tanker and defender who have it, it's both very effective and appreciated. Not universally, but I've had very good feedback about using it, and some have said they were so impressed by it they were going to respec for it.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

What am I here? Chopped beef?

4 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Gotta decide how much you want to be guided by the principle of maximum annoyance. 😁

Not at all!  The more the merrier.  Does anyone already have a SG for "Alts With Annoying Builds"?  If not, perhaps we need to form one.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

43 minutes ago, Nayeh said:

It's okay, any archetype can be played poorly enough to need a crutch like Fold Space. An effective tanker could easily herd monsters using the map terrain to funnel mobs into shape.

Dumpsters in creys folly anyone?

Bowing out of this topic.  This is "Are all Energy Blasters Trolls?" because of knockback in a new skin.  And it was clearly decided, yes, all Energy Blasters are trolls....

Seriously though, if someone knows how to use knockback they can play pool with mobs and the mitigation is superior and works on almost all mobs.  If they do not know what they are doing they are going to be firing knockback (or in this case fold space) at everything and the team is going to be going ...s l  o   w     e       r    

There is not much we can do in threads like this other than 1) bitch.  first thing I did.  check.  2) mention that some people use the power well.  yep, did that after i thought about it. check.  talk endlessly about how 'certain people play" and "why do they do that?"  Yeah, not going there.  

One final bitch, which harkens to my original.  Most of the time (hmmm 99%?) I freaking hate any teammate that uses this around my Brute.  The power seriously sucks rancid necrotic donkey balls.   

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Snarky said:

One final bitch, which harkens to my original.  Most of the time (hmmm 99%?) I freaking hate any teammate that uses this around my Brute.  The power seriously sucks rancid necrotic donkey balls.   

In orange sauce.

It's great on MSRs, but using it on teams doing regular missions is usually either redundant or counterproductive.

• Haha 1

FYI Fold Space doesn't work on bosses more than +3 to the caster after Level Shifts. This ties in to the discussion in the IO thread earlier this week about the impact Level Shifts have on the game. You can avoid this effect, or at least limit it to minions and lieutenants, by running +4 content. Some areas like Dark Astoria it can't be avoided tho unless you're militant enough to kick people who have too many incarnate abilities.  

13 hours ago, Andreah said:

Enjoy the game. Play cooperatively. Don't expect too much from pick-up-groups. Give people a break when you can. Ask politely if it's something that really gets your goat. Move on to the next team if they still don't want to play to your liking.

This.  And yet also I feel the need to stick up for PUGs - those cute widdle faces!  Oh wait, that's the dogs.  I mean randomly-filled teams.  I don't have any friends in the game, I PUG all the time and it's hardly ever been rough!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

No issues with this power. 

Used well, it's like an easy button for the team point. Even if you're not team point but you've communicated with them and stay on their cape, execution shouldn't be a problem.

Used poorly, see Veracor and Sovera's posts. Leave the offending party to fix the mess they made for themselves, they'll learn- or clean it up and make things run faster.

Honestly never had a single experience with it either as a user or on a team with a user that would make me think there is a problem. It's been said before but I actually have more issue with overzealous AoE immobs than FS. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Crap, now I gotta dust off my Grav/Energy Dom, too!  I'll team with you, Bill, and we'll have some big fun.

Does Fold Space work vertically?  That would be awesome on my hover blaster.

"It's raining minions, hallelujah!"

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!