Trapdoor Test Results - the other half of Pylon testing?

Kanil

A good post, @Linea. A bit like the pylons an offense oriented build tackles down easier content faster since it does not worry about danger, where a build that spends its budget in defense will be able to tackle harder content but be slower in easier content. It is my Brunker philosophy and why I feel that Fire Armor is 'enough' survival for 95% of the game.

For someone like you who tackles the hardest content of the game as breakfast the flimsy builds going around must look worrying. But it does make sense to tailor builds to the content. It's also why I've pushed for Tankers not to focus so much on defense since they already had the ability to take the damage and survive without needing to go look for more survival.

That said I still dislike being fragile so my builds need to be sturdy. You're just on another level above.

Tested the venerable Claws/Fire, Brute version:

- 5:18.

- 5:06

Felt good playing it, and that it exemplars better than 90% of the sets is not to be discounted when I'm going around looking for something that plays well at all levels of the game.

Tested on a pylon while at it:

- 3:04.

- 3:10

Though it does have a -res slotted in.

Build used:

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Claws
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Strike -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), StdPrt-ResKB(11)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(15), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Slash -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(31), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 6: Spin -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(45), Erd-%Dam(45)
Level 8: Follow Up -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--Build%(29), Hct-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25)
Level 12: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(33), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(34), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Focus -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(36), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Apc-Dam%(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 20: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(37), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(37), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(39), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(39), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(39)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Burn -- Erd-%Dam(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dam%(45)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(50), TtnCtn-ResDam(50), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(46), RctRtc-Pcptn(46)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(47), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 47: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(7)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx(A), Clr-RunSpd(47)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Born In Battle
Level 50: Invader
Level 50: Marshal
Level 50: High Pain Threshold
Level 10: Afterburner
------------

On 12/5/2021 at 6:41 PM, Almighty Magic said:

Here is my Plant Dom....I get 5:06 to 5:30 pretty consistently but I do dip into the low 4:50s if I don't miss too much. This run is my best at 4:55. I think I can improve it a bit with some tweaks/practice.

Would you be willing to share this build?

Another test with the Claws/Fire Brute. Shuffled things around so I could triple proc Burn in order to squeeze one of those as a -res.

No appreciable difference at 5:12.

It's interesting that if I went with 'feels' then everything melts. Even bosses are ailing by the time I've stopped spamming Burns and Spin and just need to mop up. But the clock doesn't lie and no particular improvement is noticed.

For the heck of it I brought the build to a Pylon and tested it with the extra -res now incorporated:

2:45

2:24

Even with everything toggled on including FA the endurance bar lasted for the whole test.

• Thanks 1

Before I run some test runs, I'm curious. Does anyone else have some issues with the first mission in the arc? The gigamurder incarnate buffs seem to take a long while before kicking in, surprised me when I got one shot running for the mender.

Edited by ScarySai

11 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

Before I run some test runs, I'm curious. Does anyone else have some issues with the first mission in the arc? The gigamurder incarnate buffs seem to take a long while before kicking in, surprised me when I got one shot running for the mender.

Not me. I just ignore mobs and go talk with Mender. It's usually done before I even get attacked by the mob guarding him.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, Linea said:

Build Style and Play Style obviously matter here.   (almost) None of my builds are offense oriented, but instead heavily armored.  With that in mind, I'm not sure any of my times will be helpful in any way to any one else.  It's going to be a bit of apples vs oranges.

Knowing how you build this is incredibly useful to know. I remember doing your DP/Time/RoP (rip) defender build years ago. Definitely not my style, but jesus. A defender tank mage was hilarious.

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Shuffled things around so I could triple proc Burn in order to squeeze one of those as a -res.

Is this a good idea? With the target cap on Burn it seems like it would be a wash/waste. Maybe if you're at the damage cap all the time?

(I typically only do 4 + 2 dam proc (1 purp, 1 non-smash/lethal))

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

39 minutes ago, Troo said:

Is this a good idea? With the target cap on Burn it seems like it would be a wash/waste. Maybe if you're at the damage cap all the time?

(I typically only do 4 + 2 dam proc (1 purp, 1 non-smash/lethal))

I'm (usually) the same, but since I'm forced to split the Brute ATO to reach 40% S/L I found I could make Burn work with three slots which leaves three slots free.

Despite the target cap being five Burn actually is able to kill more than five thanks to the pseudo pet. It's common to decimate half a spawn depending on procs since Burn hits, procs go off, pseudo pet activates after a split second, and procs go off again.

But in practice the clock didn't seem to care either way too much about this. Testing is really a good way to get assumptions and gut feelings out of the way.

• Thanks 1

It's so confusing to me when I see you guys play without all the mobs showing their HP bar. How do you know when to swap and hit one who has more HP and leave the rest to AoE action?

Gonna look a little scuffed while it processes.

Kinda mad about getting stuck on that guy's head, but I won't complain about a 4:20ish time on an unfinished build. I'd push for a lower time, but it's time for sleep. 😛

Anyway, yeah. Rad/SS is one of the most disgusting characters you can make in this game short of feeding a fire blaster reds.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScarySai said:

Gonna look a little scuffed while it processes.

Kinda mad about getting stuck on that guy's head, but I won't complain about a 4:20ish time on an unfinished build. I'd push for a lower time, but it's time for sleep. 😛

Anyway, yeah. Rad/SS is one of the most disgusting characters you can make in this game short of feeding a fire blaster reds.

Can you share your build?

I hope it's good because I have always never liked tanks and leaned on brutes.

But due the nature of how this build works, with the rampant proc abuse and extra durability, I don't personally see a brute clone outperforming it. Rage scales better, they hit more targets, the range is absurd and you can basically only die if you don't watch your crashes.

That said, I love my ice/fire brute and will try it later. Less durable than my main, but very good at killing.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:22 PM, Linea said:

Build Style and Play Style obviously matter here.   (almost) None of my builds are offense oriented, but instead heavily armored.  With that in mind, I'm not sure any of my times will be helpful in any way to any one else.  It's going to be a bit of apples vs oranges.

Angel Hornet - Enm/Ena 801.6 ASF Scrapper - 8:00

I really noticed the lack of AoE, but the insane ST helped make up for it.  I also really felt the Psionic Hole, and used a considerable amount of my time on survival/counter-psionics instead of offense.  Angel can off-tank/solo up to 801.6 without any buffs at all, and up to 801.9 with minimal buffs.

Kate Wolfe - Kat/Bio 801.2 Armored Scrapper - 8:00

This was the most comfortable overall, really good balance of Survival, ST, and AoE.  She's also probably my favorite overall scrapper outside of 801 where I prefer the heavier armor and off-tank potential of Angel.  If all the tanks rage-quit, Kate can't step in and take over in anything over 801.2 or 801.3, not without substantial buffs.

Alnamar - StJ/Ena 801.6 Stalker - 9:15

Stuff Runs Away.

Have you tested out the new Stone Armor for stalkers and scrappers?