Trapdoor Test Results - the other half of Pylon testing?

Kanil

so, i've been hanging on making this thread until vids were unbanned because a lot it is "source: trust me bro" and there are factors  that could be observed in terms of how folks handle clearing through maps, buuut i've been curious about this stuff for awhile in terms of comparing results with other folks. this is also a place to encourage me to keep better record of this because i love hitting pylons and doin' this just for fun, haha.

what is the trapdoor test?

it's running mender ramiel's "defeat trapdoor" mission at +4x8. this is the second mission in the "power overwhelming" arc found in ouroboros. specifically it is the second mission in mender ramiel's chain after talking to positron or lord recluse and the "view your future" mission.

it's looking for completed builds with incarnates in and similar rules to pylon testing where you don't use hybrid active nor lore pets - only destiny and yellow insps for the blinds that the arachnos do when it comes up.  you kill everything up to trapdoor except the popup turrets (this favors ranged by a lot to run off to the sides) and then waste trapdoor. timer starts when you self-buff w/ destiny or whatever and ends when trapdoor turns blue.

note: do NOT click trapdoor or else the mission will complete and you will lose it - part of the good parts of the test is that it's insanely easy to get and reset! if you have mender ramiel as a regular contact, you can ouroboros portal out and then just reset the mission normally. if you are doing it as part of an ouro mission, you will have to log out of the char to reset it.

why trapdoor?

it has a good combination for testing parameters in terms of accounting for issues that you will come across at lvl50 and being a very straightforward map that has good enemy grouping and very, very simple layouts making runs simple and clean while still accounting for taunt auras/how diff powersets generate runners.

in terms of the spread of enemies and what they do. the combination of arachnos having a bunch of asshole things (include holds, -end, blind, -def, etc) and council mostly having their standard s/l loadout, means you get a realistic measure of defensive power.

it's effectively a way to measure a build's general clearing power in a mission rather than raw ST DPS. when combined with pylon tests it can be used get a general ideal of the overall firepower of high end builds i've made.

results that i've recorded:

rankings based on averages:

PLAYLIST OF RECORDED RUNS HERE: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRcxfxypPPGjsGMnEwDzswMxGqKDniZcl

Spoiler

1.rad/bio/fire scrapper (all in on procs, bad build with like 22% s/l def) 4m38s https://youtu.be/TJyDFRotzGo

2.fortunata/soul 4m42s  https://youtu.be/uyLaMY0jaj0

3.ice/bio/mu scrapper 4m47s https://youtu.be/wakZgQOiMsA

4.bio/ss/mu tank (doublerage active from the start) 4m51s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFAwPCLMeC

5.fire/bio/fire scrapper (crit strikes in GFS) 4m52s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSwP5qWsec

6.savage/bio/fire scrapper 4m55s https://youtu.be/IerrRAoh7e8

7.fire/bio/fire scrapper (crit strikes in cremate) 5m1s

8.kat/bio scrapper 5m16s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4lD51sOC4

9.EM/bio/mu scrapper 5m25s

10.db/bio scrapper 5m28s https://youtu.be/TUX7A3cz3_U

11. street justice/bio/mu scrapper 5m28s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALkedv5YZR8

12.battle axe/bio/phys scrapper 5m29s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUQcLTAZp4

13.broadsword/bio/weapon mastery scrapper 5m31s https://youtu.be/esL5W5BKwgU

14.tw/bio scrapper (crit strikes in FT) 5m33s

15.tw/bio scrapper (crit strikes in AoD) 5m38s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHSwVPZjJc

16.EM/bio/fire scrapper 5m45s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_p_37qqrf8

17.postnerf tw/bio brute 5m59s

18.fire/time/dark corr 6m11s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCCiJZmt6vc

19. db/bio/fire stalker 6m25s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTr-Hon4KdI

20.psi/ena/fire scrapper 6m30s

21.stj/ena/fire stalker 6m31s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWvXLimXkw

22. night widow/soul 7m1s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7PEfdBe1U4

23. archery/tactical arrow blaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfV1odumMZ0

postnerf tw/bio scrapper (crit strikes in AoD)

avg: 5m38s

Spoiler

5m12s
5m22s
6m7s (enemy scattering)
6m1s (spent time healing due to -def from t.mistresses)
5m42s (the hell is with all the x:x2 enders?)

postnerf tw/bio scrapper (crit strikes in FT)

avg: 5m33s

Spoiler

5m32s
5m45s
5m21s

postnerf tw/bio brute

avg: 5m59s

Spoiler

5m47s
6m1s
6m8s

fire/bio/fire scrapper (crit strikes in cremate)

avg: 5m1s

Spoiler

4m48s
5m27s
5m12s
4m46s
4m56s
4m48s
4m58s
5m16s

fire/bio/fire scrapper (crit strikes in GFS)

avg: 4m52s

Spoiler

5m
4m48s
5m4s
4m46s
5m12s
4m48s
5m20s
4m26s
4m28s

battle axe/bio/phys scrapper

avg:5m29s

Spoiler

5m25s
5m15s
5m46s
5m30s

kat/bio scrapper

avg: 5m16s

Spoiler

5m35s
5m12s
5m19s
4m58s

db/bio scrapper

avg:5m28s

Spoiler

5m39s

5m45s

5m2s

5m25s

ice/bio/mu scrapper

avg: 4m47s

Spoiler

4m46s
4m36s
5m17s
4m41s
4m33s
4m48s
4m35s
5m2s

EM/bio/fire scrapper

avg:5m45s

Spoiler

5m44s
6m2s
5m48s
5m41s
5m43s
5m57s
5m21s
5m42s

EM/bio/mu scrapper

avg:5m25s

Spoiler

5m42s
5m18s
5m21s
5m18s
5m24s

rad/bio/fire scrapper (all in on procs, bad build with like 22% s/l def)

avg: 4m38s

Spoiler

4m25s

4m50s

4m57s

4m29s

4m47s

4m24s

4m21s

4m22s

4m28s

fire/time/dark corr

avg: 6m11s

Spoiler

6m26s

6m4s

6m30s

5m45s

fortunata/soul

avg: 4m42s

Spoiler

4m51s
4m28s
5m2s
4m48s
4m31s
4m37s

bio/ss/mu tank (doublerage active from the start)

avg:4m51s

Spoiler

4m28s
5m24s
4m33s
5m12s
4m38s
4m49s

broadsword/bio/weapon mastery (lmao) scrapper

avg (redraw off): 5m32s

Spoiler

redraw on

6m14s

5m42s

redraw off - realized it was on

5m25s

5m26s

5m53s

5m22s

stj/ena/fire stalker

avg: 6m31s

Spoiler

6m47s

6m24s

6m24s

6m28s

Edited by Kanil
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Kanil
For those who are not familiar, can you provide a brief tutorial on how to choose the Trapdoor mission? I could see this thread quickly growing, and it'll be good for others who want to test their own times to refer back to your OP and know how to quickly load up the mission.

Thanks

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

10 minutes ago, Bopper said:

@Kanil
For those who are not familiar, can you provide a brief tutorial on how to choose the Trapdoor mission? I could see this thread quickly growing, and it'll be good for others who want to test their own times to refer back to your OP and know how to quickly load up the mission.

Thanks

i put in a brief description - not sure how detailed i should get into getting the mission, haha.

anyways, also added a ranking sorting and average times for my own results, haha.

8 minutes ago, Kanil said:

i put in a brief description - not sure how detailed i should get into getting the mission, haha.

anyways, also added a ranking sorting and average times for my own results, haha.

The description looks very good. If anyone needs pictures, these might help. 

Go to Ouro, expand the level 50 category:

image.thumb.png.dc3621303739c61367d7a75780a8a167.png

Then scroll down to 19.03 to find Power Overwhelming
image.thumb.png.ceaf7b03ba414be91ea5ad0912c18953.png

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Just ran it with my stone tank. I like the mission, it was interesting to see where my vulnerabilities were with my build. In my case, getting Blinded (I used no insps) and taking -Recharge slowed me down quite a bit (and having to TP into the trapdoor...stupid curb haha). Something I didn't see specified in your up-front matter, should people run this with Archvillains or Elite Bosses? Speaking with you in the past, I believe you run it against AVs. So it might be good to add an up front parameters summary:

Parameters:

Set Notoriety: +4/x8, Solo Bosses, Solo AVs  (disregard, Trapdoor always is an EB)

Inspirations Allowed: Yellows only (for the Blind debuffs)

Incarnates Allowed: Alpha, Destiny, Interface, Hybrid (Passive only, cannot activate toggle)

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

First blind test on my fire/fire blaster was 4:34. I used ageless core, had assault hybrid passive (not clicked), alpha and interface slotted, no other incarnates. (+4x8 and EB, as per what Kanil said in discord.)

There were lots of mistakes. Lost at least 20 seconds chasing down a boss who ran away. Had a few attack chain mistakes, didn't prioritize bosses well at all, and some movement inefficiencies. Will try again in the future. I expect to get at least sub 4 with a little practice.

• Like 1

I've been doing some trapdoor test ever since kanil told me about it a few months ago. Here are some of my results (fire/fire blaster did use defense amplifier) everything else followed said rules. Trapdoor is an EB, not an AV. 4/8, solo bosses, yellows only with allowed incarnates.

Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (exclosure -> ageless core with defense amplifier for mez protection)

Spoiler

*died*
*died*
4:17
4:01
*died*
*died*
*died*
*died*
4:54 (stopped to heal)
4:37 (slowed down for some healing)
*died*
*died*

Fire/Mental/Mu blaster (clairon - no defense amplifier)

Spoiler

*died*
*died* (after this run I got used to always keeping Drain Psyche up so survivability isn't much of an issue compared to the fire/fire blaster)
5:24
5:13
5:15
5:03
4:38
4:48
4:45
4:53

Spines/Bio/Mu Scrapper

Spoiler

7:29
6:51
*died*
6:34
6:50
5:47
*died*
6:19
6:04
6:11

Dm/Bio/Fire Scrapper

Spoiler

6:19
6:11
5:56
5:47
5:30
5:27
5:31
5:17

I've got 2 doms ready to test and I'll report those later once I get some tests under my belt.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

broadsword/bio/weapon mastery (lmao)

Spoiler

redraw on

6m14s

5m42s

redraw off - realized it was on

5m25s

5m26s

5m53s

5m22s

pylon numbers:
1m48s

1m40s

1m32s

1m40s

overall happy with my big brain respec into having target drone and explosive shuriken together since proc builds generally tend to lack accuracy/tohit

I've done a few runs with my toons, too.  I clearly need better practice to 

Rad/SS/Soul Tanker - no active incarnates used, just passives

Spoiler

5:45

5:25

Claws/Bio/Soul Scrapper - no active incarnates used, just passives

Spoiler

*died*

7:01

6:17

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bopper said:

Parameters:

Set Notoriety: +4/x8, Solo Bosses, Solo AVs  (disregard, Trapdoor always is an EB)

Inspirations Allowed: Yellows only (for the Blind debuffs)

Incarnates Allowed: Alpha, Destiny, Interface, Hybrid (Passive only, cannot activate toggle)

Quick question: Isn't +4/0 on a T4 50 the same as 0/8 on a 50 with alpha slotted?

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 minutes ago, Troo said:

Quick question: Isn't +4/0 on a T4 50 the same as 0/8 on a 50 with alpha slotted?

I don't know if I follow. I want to say no, but I'm curious on how you're defining their equivalence.

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

Would the perception proc provide enough to see thru blind?

I run +perception on everything so I'm not sure, but that could remove the need for inspirations.

You can grab the Increase Perception Base Empowerment buff. I think it does +100 ft, which I think is the same for the Reticle proc. 

50 minutes ago, EidoIruson said:

Without an AV at the end it feels more like an AOE DPS test than an overall test, but maybe that's just me?

I find all the bosses to really slow down AoE heavy sets like spines. I can agree that 4/8 does have a pretty decent lean to having good AoE, but a good ST can still definitely show in this test. I'm curious if changing to an AV at the end would devolve into only certain archetypes/set combos being able to out dps an AVs regen solo, while as it is currently I feel all combos would be able to reasonably make it through.

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EidoIruson said:

Without an AV at the end it feels more like an AOE DPS test than an overall test, but maybe that's just me?

it's meant to be in conjunction with pylon testing for hard sustained ST DPS, which is why i mentioned that in the OP. however, the combination of the amount of frequent bosses and an EB at the end actually makes a massive difference for clearing times so while it leans to AOE it isn't strictly aoe-only for the reasons ratch mentioned.  a good example is the dark/fire corr - it actually blazes through the mission relatively quickly but upon reaching the AV, but once getting to trapdoor it takes a bunch of extra time to get him down. it matters a lot.

so, it's not quite fully an "aoe DPS" test either. it's much more evocative of real mission parameters which are naturally AOE focused because the majority of content structure is beating up groups of enemies and not AVs. i'd also argue it's not an aoe DPS test either because it's not sustained but at the same time that kinda falls into the same trap of how realistically sustained aoe DPS isn't really goign to matter vs. the actual expression of content this is meant to mirror since initial aoe burst damage and openings between groups/downtimes between groups are all accounted for as part of this and massive parts of real play

also, trapdoor can only be an EB anyways lol

stj/ena/fire stalker

avg: 6m31s

Spoiler

6m47s

6m24s

6m24s

6m28s

3 hours ago, Bopper said:

I don't know if I follow. I want to say no, but I'm curious on how you're defining their equivalence.

Ah, I guess that may have been a little cryptic. > Level shifts <

With Incarnates come level shifts. A 50+3 is effectively a level 53 fighting 54s at +4.

My question "Isn't +4/0 on a T4 50 the same as 0/8 on a 50 with alpha slotted? " was incorrect.

It should have been: Isn't a max character with all incarnates (50+3) doing +4/8 the same as a 50 non incarnate doing +1/8?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Edit:

No wait, I might have this totally wrong.

Wouldn't the Trapdoor mission keep you at 50+1; so the equivalent would be a non-incarnate at +3x8?  The other two level shifts are only active in DA, iTrials, and the Belladonna/Number Six arcs, right?

Either way, I was going to say that the iPowers toolbox of the Post-Incarnate toon should result in a faster clear time against the same relative con level than a Pre-Incarnate (same toon, same build).

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

5 hours ago, Troo said:

Ah, I guess that may have been a little cryptic. > Level shifts <

With Incarnates come level shifts. A 50+3 is effectively a level 53 fighting 54s at +4.

My question "Isn't +4/0 on a T4 50 the same as 0/8 on a 50 with alpha slotted? " was incorrect.

It should have been: Isn't a max character with all incarnates (50+3) doing +4/8 the same as a 50 non incarnate doing +1/8?

mender ramiels arc isnt incarnate content so you only get the +1 boost from it as per "normal" 50 content 

7 hours ago, Kanil said:

so, it's not quite fully an "aoe DPS" test either. it's much more evocative of real mission parameters which are naturally AOE focused because the majority of content structure is beating up groups of enemies and not AVs. i'd also argue it's not an aoe DPS test either because it's not sustained but at the same time that kinda falls into the same trap of how realistically sustained aoe DPS isn't really goign to matter vs. the actual expression of content this is meant to mirror since initial aoe burst damage and openings between groups/downtimes between groups are all accounted for as part of this and massive parts of real play

If the goal is trying to mirror real play why do we limit Incarnate powers in this test? By limiting them you are already changing the environment.

Getting Mez'd is something that will happen to Blasters, Corrs, etc. in real play, but they can use Destiny and get Mez protection to fill that giant hole in this test. However, if a ST toon can't use judgement you aren't allowing them to fill that lack of AOE hole.

I guess I'm have a hard time seeing it as an expression of real play vs just an AOE version of the Pylon Test. AOE dps was the wrong term to use when I really just meant AOE damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EidoIruson said:

If the goal is trying to mirror real play why do we limit Incarnate powers in this test? By limiting them you are already changing the environment.

Getting Mez'd is something that will happen to Blasters, Corrs, etc. in real play, but they can use Destiny and get Mez protection to fill that giant hole in this test. However, if a ST toon can't use judgement you aren't allowing them to fill that lack of AOE hole.

I guess I'm have a hard time seeing it as an expression of real play vs just an AOE version of the Pylon Test. AOE dps was the wrong term to use when I really just meant AOE damage.

honestly, you're overthinking it - its a similar deal to pylon testing for why some folks are OK with using judgement and not. 

using stuff that drastically affects dmg or cleartime adds in too much of a fuzziness factor to the comparison points between powersets - same deal as hybrids bein on/off etc. especially in the scope of a full mission where those things get even more variable.

the most realistic view in scope of going "no holds barred" includes huffing insps and just going buckwild but at that point it's more of a race and not really generating that much valuable data for comparison points. 

i don't really give a shit about rules lawyering results or anything, its just how i measure my own chars power levels to see build effectiveness. 

its interesting to see results for stuff like elm where the scope of a char really pushing the limits even w defensive insps can clear at x rate so if you wanna post clear times go nuts my dude

cuz i just want dataaaaa

Show me your power levels

Edited by Kanil
  • Like 1

staff/bio/experimentation (adrenal booster picked)

avg: 8m45s

Spoiler

death

8m4s

9m23s

8m49s

death

i've posted the sentiment before, but i often times wonder where people get the idea that staff "has good aoe" besides the fact that it has a bunch of bad aoe powers.

this is the only melee char i've tested that regularly dies on this. it's specifically related to not being able to kill tarantula mistresses fast enough due to the looooooooooooong ticks of the AOEs so any time there's more than one the char explodes from a lack of def and DDR

reHEcjP.png?1

ill/pain/scorp controller

Spoiler

14m37s

im not doing another test w/ this char, it's crazy boring

Edited by Kanil
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kanil said:

staff/bio/experimentation (adrenal booster picked)

avg: 8m45s

Reveal hidden contents

death

8m4s

9m23s

8m49s

death

i've posted the sentiment before, but i often times wonder where people get the idea that staff "has good aoe" besides the fact that it has a bunch of bad aoe powers.

this is the only melee char i've tested that regularly dies on this. it's specifically related to not being able to kill tarantula mistresses fast enough due to the looooooooooooong ticks of the AOEs so any time there's more than one the char explodes from a lack of def and DDR

I mentioned this to someone else yesterday.

On one hand I had someone vociferously rejecting the idea that Claws on a Scrapper was a good AoE set because 'it only had one AoE' as opposed to Spines or Elec. Saying and showing that Shockwave takes the KB>KD IO and that Claws can chain those two AoEs with only Follow-up for infinity, effectively turning it into a blender, did not make them change their mind.

On the other I very recently leveled a Fire/Elec Melee character. Thunderstrike is slow but heavy AoE damage (better on a Tanker because it makes the small 7y AoE wider), Chain Induction bounces around, Lightning Rod kills minions and hurts all around every 26-ish seconds.

So, obviously it must be great in AoE, right? Well, no, it has the same farm map killing test times than Fire Armor paired with humble Martial Arts with its single low damage fast animation Dragon Tail.

-And- it has execrable single target damage.

To not derail I put my Fire/MA Tanker through the paces. No incarnates clicked, no inspirations, +4x8 with bosses:

- 6:20

- 6:12

- 5:58

- 6:01

- 5:57

Pylon times of 3 minutes (with -res procs slotted which I did not use here).

Interesting how the character feels pretty strong but still has low Tanker damage when we compare to Scrapper times.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 2