Focused Feedback: Power Changes (Build 1)

• City Council
2 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Was really hoping to see FSC on stalkers not giving AF addressed.

There should be a fix for this implemented in the next build.

• Like 1

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

5 hours ago, Tigraine said:

I think Hasten, Tough/Weave, and Maneuvers/Tactics are all far more guilty of this.  RoP is hardly a "every build must have, regardless of theme" power; it's just important to the builds that do rely on it.  Until the other more popular "needed" pool powers get addressed, there's really no foundation for this argument for RoP.

Except none of those powers are in an Origin pool, so it's not the same issue you're discussing.

1 hour ago, scottocamp said:

Another possible solution to Rune of Protection (following similar changes in the Fighting Pool) would be to extend the duration of RoP based on the number of Sorcery powers picked.  Like 60 seconds for 3 Sorcery powers, 90 seconds for 4 Sorcery powers and 120 seconds if you invest in all 5 Sorcery pool powers.

This is a neat suggestion.

• Like 3

Having played around a little now, here are some early impressions:

Epic Snipe changes:

I tested on a Rad/Bio scrapper that uses moonbeam in the main attack chain, with 5pc Apocalypse (all except the pure dam) and a Gladiator's Javelin proc.  Attack chain is: (DB >Moonbeam > RS > CS ).

Honestly, I'm hard pressed to tell anything changed.   The procs do seem to fire off less if I'm really looking at the log, but overall single target DPS is in a dead heat with the live server.  Pylon times on both Brainstorm and Excelsior were all within the same 1:15 to 1:30 margin.  I could definitely see a change like this having a much larger impact on proc'd out epic holds--where a bigger percentage of the damage is coming from procs though.

MM cast time/pet recharge:

Love it.  Makes keeping up with a fast moving/stealth team a lot easier if you can dismiss/resummons more often.  It also helps give a bit more staying power in a fight since pets can be summoned so quickly.  A welcome buff.

Rune of Protection:

For context, I tested with my EM/Regen stalker.  On live, I alternate RoP and IH seamlessly to keep health up.  The build has essentially 0 defense outside MoG, so it relies on resist+regen exclusively (works well for 4x8 anything).  RoP caps out S/L/F/C/P/T at 75%, with E/N sitting around 60. BUILD (Mids)  The change introduces a 30 second gap in defense every 2.5 minutes, which is annoying--but manageable for a high end IO build.  I was still able to do everything I could before, I just had to be more cautious about jumping in when both RoP and IH were on cooldown. 

Overall, I think RoP was overperforming and the change makes sense. Up to 50% uptime on the only power that can self-grant mezz protect for squishies AND gives  sizable boost to all Res types is a little much.  The fact that it keeps my Regen alive equally as well as IH (and with the same duration/timer) is a bit ridiculous for a pool power.  It's still vastly better than the Epic pool equivalents (Force of Nature and Surge Power which both have a 2 min duration/16 min recharge, PSI hole, No mezz protection, AND a crash).  Hopefully, this will open up some room to give those powers (and the armor T9's) a look over, without having to worry too much about everyone chaining perma-T9's.

Edited by Killerhawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Excelsior

ExAstris - Arachnos Widow

Pulp Noir - Illusion/Psy Assault

Perspective - Illusion/TA

Madame Elena - Rad/Bio (Scrapper)

4 hours ago, Replacement said:

@ScarySai I intend to give you a better response, but for now: I'm also curious what builds are "Requiring" RoP to work!  My supposition is they need it to last multiple fights (implying they have another solution for other fights - which could just be a nuke!) and I'm happy to be challenged on the assumption.

It sure would help me understand if people would replace a general "this ruins builds/build diversity" with "here's what my character needed 90s for and why it's not worth it at 60s."

It's because of something I said farther back in the thread. The 90 secs allow you to bounce it off Clarion Radial if you're running 50 content solo as a controller(mainly),defender,corruptor. Honestly for CD these t5 powers have 90 secs is nice, 2mins would be better, 1min isn't right at all. Since other classes have natural ways to protect themselves. RoP is redundant on any class that has armor yet maybe needed on one that doesn't. Which is why I also said Unleash Potential and Adrenal Booster need mez too. Since we're still missing Gadgetry and Utility Belt it is too early to talk about any sort of nerfs with these power pools to the level of nerfing RoP's time. If anything they all should last 90sec because they're gimmicky for one and clearly for character that aren't that offensively powerful to have some extra options. It's always better to buff first than nerf over just nerfing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Killerhawk said:

Having played around a little now, here are some early impressions:

Epic Snipe changes:

I tested on a Rad/Bio scrapper that uses moonbeam in the main attack chain, with 5pc Apocalypse (all except the pure dam) and a Gladiator's Javelin proc.  Attack chain is: (DB >Moonbeam > RS > CS ).

Honestly, I'm hard pressed to tell anything changed.   The procs do seem to fire off less if I'm really looking at the log, but overall single target DPS is in a dead heat with the live server.  Pylon times on both Brainstorm and Excelsior were all within the same 1:15 to 1:30 margin.  I could definitely see a change like this having a much larger impact on proc'd out epic holds--where a bigger percentage of the damage is coming from procs though.

MM cast time/pet recharge:

Love it.  Makes keeping up with a fast moving/stealth team a lot easier if you can dismiss/resummons more often.  It also helps give a bit more staying power in a fight since pets can be summoned so quickly.  A welcome buff.

Rune of Protection:

For context, I tested with my EM/Regen stalker.  On live, I alternate RoP and IH seamlessly to keep health up.  The build has essentially 0 defense outside MoG, so it relies on resist+regen exclusively (works well for 4x8 anything).  RoP caps out S/L/F/C/P/T at 75%, with E/N sitting around 60. BUILD (Mids)  The change introduces a 30 second gap in defense every 2.5 minutes, which is annoying--but manageable for a high end IO build.  I was still able to do everything I could before, I just had to be more cautious about jumping in when both RoP and IH were on cooldown. 

Overall, I think RoP was overperforming and the change makes sense. Up to 50% uptime on the only power that can self-grant mezz protect for squishies AND gives  sizable boost to all Res types is a little much.  The fact that it keeps my Regen alive equally as well as IH (and with the same duration/timer) is a bit ridiculous for a pool power.  It's still vastly better than the Epic pool equivalents (Force of Nature and Surge Power which both have a 2 min duration/16 min recharge, PSI hole, No mezz protection, AND a crash).  Hopefully, this will open up some room to give those powers (and the armor T9's) a look over, without having to worry too much about everyone chaining perma-T9's.

It wouldn't be "overperforming" if you wasn't already a Stalker. It's made to not be used by melee like that. It's something for the characters that lack protection and can give up 3 slots. Also Force of Nature and Surge Power are bad because the crash kills you, it's why melee types skip that buff in majority of builds since for one they reach their caps. So they don't need it. That's why a more frail class would skip it since it is unreliable isn't worth investing in, plus you gotta be 41 to get it. RoP is a nice pick because you can get what you need before 20 which also apply to other currently 2, and soon to be 4 origin based power pools. Looking at Gadgetry and Utility Belt both have healing based t5 for any melee is looks "too strong" yet for that controller, defender or mastermind it's nice. We gonna be right back here when the last two drop especially that UB since for sure people are gonna want that freerunning and flying kick on most melee builds. Somethings are gonna be powerful and it's fine. It's better somebody uses it over going "nah I'll skip it"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mezmera said:

I almost always take the pools Mac listed except for Leaping.  The Force of Will pool is far too good to pass on.  It has the same travel I like in Mighty Leap then the -res power is a fantastic force multiplier and Unleash Potential gives me far more than anything I get from Combat Jumping. 

I like CJ for IO muling, its essentially zero endurance cost, and awesome unsuppressed movement control. Even with the new "running Super Speed makes you able to jump" change CJ is still more reliable.

• Like 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

2 hours ago, macskull said:

I like CJ for IO muling, its essentially zero endurance cost, and awesome unsuppressed movement control. Even with the new "running Super Speed makes you able to jump" change CJ is still more reliable.

Yeah it's a decent little power but by process of elimination Leaping for me is the odd pool out if I need to have one available.  Hasten is too good, then there's tough/weave and maneuvers/tactics which I can't see dropping.  You can still IO mule the defenses in weave and maneuvers plus Unleash Potential is a defense too so Gambler's and the like are still just as useful there.  

I can see the bit about unsuppressed movement but I don't need to be the fastest kid on the block just the toughest.  I just leave Mighty Leap running and drop a 53 Hami in it.  I leave the zoom zooming to you youngsters, I'll let you guys taxi me if you like.  😛

I tried out pre-Granite Stone Armor. Loved it! Now if the stats would just get bumped up a bit so that Stone Armor vs Granite would be a legitimate choice that one could make...

Also, I didn't really notice the difference in FX on Rooted, except in the costume creator power customization screen. The 'boots' on Rooted were a few feet (no pun intended) off to the side of my character instead of on the character's legs and feet.

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

I tried out pre-Granite Stone Armor. Loved it! Now if the stats would just get bumped up a bit so that Stone Armor vs Granite would be a legitimate choice that one could make...

People say personal defense is so ubiquitous that team defense buffs are no longer valuable, so I’m pretty sure you can build a stone tank to not need granite.

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

People say personal defense is so ubiquitous that team defense buffs are no longer valuable, so I’m pretty sure you can build a stone tank to not need granite.

Meh. Some IOs and a Force Field Defender can turn my Blaster into a Tank. Heck, I could even pick up provoke if I wanted to. Neither of which change the fact that a pre-Granite Stone Tank isn't nearly as tough as my Invulnerability Tank.

I'm not saying that pre-Granite should be as tough as Granite, but it should be at least in the neighborhood of Invulnerability.

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I also tested the Assault Rifle changes on a Merc/FF Mastermind. While I appreciate the improvement, the time to kill enemies doesn't appear to have increased noticeably.

I'd like to recommend that Serum become an AoE that affects all of the pets, like the upgrades, and that the duration be increased to be the same duration as Gang War. This might make Mercs almost competitive.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

I also tested the Assault Rifle changes on a Merc/FF Mastermind. While I appreciate the improvement, the time to kill enemies doesn't appear to have increased noticeably.

I'd like to recommend that Serum become an AoE that affects all of the pets, like the upgrades, and that the duration be increased to be the same duration as Gang War. This might make Mercs almost competitive.

Anything to make Serum good. Cut the recharge in half and eliminate the ends crash.

6 hours ago, Killerhawk said:

Epic Snipe changes:

Honestly, I'm hard pressed to tell anything changed.   The procs do seem to fire off less if I'm really looking at the log, but overall single target DPS is in a dead heat with the live server.  Pylon times on both Brainstorm and Excelsior were all within the same 1:15 to 1:30 margin. 

I find this surprising (and reassuring). Where are you putting your Critical Strikes proc? I'm intuitively expecting this change to be a significant nerf to my own rad/bio, what with Critical Strikes in Deva with no local recharge being a 90% proc rate and Moonbeam following up with a full crit.

I mentioned this previously, but this forum has a slightly larger audience.

With the changes to the Recharge of Mastermind pets, and the fact that neither the power itself, nor the pets accept or use Recharge enhancements, can the "Command of the Mastermind" ATO be looked at? Also, can we get a better 2 piece set bonus? +damage is simply wasted on a Mastermind, especially with the fact it doesn't transfer to the pets at all, and most Masterminds don't even take the personal attacks.

Just my two cents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, macskull said:

This was discussed earlier and IIRC the reason upgrades aren't automatic is because the devs felt the cost of having to reapply them gives more incentive to keeping your pets alive.

That being said, I don't think upgrades should be automatic until some issues with pet AI are addressed - namely, upgrading certain pets with certain upgrades actually makes them perform worse and that's unacceptable.

Not directed at you but rather the Dev comment you referenced.

But seems to me if the need to re-apply the Upgrades is an incentive to keep the henchmen alive, and yet this change greatly reduces re-cast/CD timer on resummoning, there’s an acknowledgement that keeping the henchmen alive is a real challenge in and of itself, Upgrades notwithstanding.

I do see the note that MM’s will get more attention in future and if/when they do I hope it’s a buff to henchmen durability, either directly or indirectly via buff to MM’s powers/power costs.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Vanden said:

You outta your mind? 8m 20s recharge is insane for a 60-second buff!

I just went on my mercs/time on test as I thought no way is serum 16m40s long, and it is. Wow, that's pathetic, now I remember why I never used it. But at least serum is not a totally wasted pick as it can mule the 2 res +def uniques without going the fighting route. As to the power itself? I can't tell if it or repair in the bots set are the most useless power. At least if you could slot MM sets in them that would be something. Although if we are talking wishlists I'd prefer if the upgrade powers could take the MM sets. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

There seems to be an issue with the faster animation for Dual Pistols Hail of Bullets. The after-image figure effect that is supposed to be animating slightly behind the character seems to be still animating at the old speed, making it significantly out of sync with the new animation.

Tested on a blaster using a female body type, in the costume editor and in the world.

16692064420804689920_20210315023922_1.thumb.png.5b9651ee8efde44aa4f8ccbed075babb.png

I haven't tested it in combat yet, but I am not sure yet how I feel about the new animation speed. It feels maybe too fast, and looking obviously sped up.

Edited by roBurky
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nihilii said:

I find this surprising (and reassuring). Where are you putting your Critical Strikes proc? I'm intuitively expecting this change to be a significant nerf to my own rad/bio, what with Critical Strikes in Deva with no local recharge being a 90% proc rate and Moonbeam following up with a full crit.

It's in Devastating blow. This is the build I'm using currently....Some quick napkin math puts the proc chances down to 50% (purple) / 40% (standard) with the slotting I have (instead of 90/90).  It just isn't making enough of a difference in actual gameplay with all of the other variables in play.  

If you have 0 recharge slotted, the purple should still be a 90% chance, and the normal procs would only drop down to about 70%...so you may not notice it much either.

• Like 1

Excelsior

ExAstris - Arachnos Widow

Pulp Noir - Illusion/Psy Assault

Perspective - Illusion/TA

Madame Elena - Rad/Bio (Scrapper)

7 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Also, I didn't really notice the difference in FX on Rooted, except in the costume creator power customization screen. The 'boots' on Rooted were a few feet (no pun intended) off to the side of my character instead of on the character's legs and feet.

image.png.32dd6824c39e675c4f7911d2a285ffbc.png

Thats a new flavor stone/ice tank. 🙂

You will enver get all that res, all that def in one build without granite, since granite is, you know, a t9.

Fast (in-combat) snipes have had their ranges normalized to 80ft (and 100ft for Psi)

• Slow snipes are unaffected and retain their increased range

This may work poorly with the Underground Trial as currently constituted, and may well make Preservation Specialist, and the master badge, unobtainable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291