WP/?, I cannot decide. Give me some advice.

The_Warpact

Ok so like forever I've been wanting to do a Willpower something and finally dagnabbit I'm going to do it!

But, I have no idea what to pair it with, I absolutely for the love of all things holy cannot do another SS or EnM anything.

I have a DA/DM and a Rad/Ice that I love, and currently working on a Elec/Psi, so repeats are a no no.

Was thinking WM but haven't really sold myself on it, as I'm not fond of weapon sets.

Any ideas? Or advice on something that would mesh well with WP?

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

My first WP on live (and the 2nd toon I created on Homecoming) was a WP/Mace.  Mace is a very strong set with good Single Target and good AoE damage.  The nice thing about WP is that other than your T9 you have no clicks, meaning no redraw on your mace.

If you want to avoid weapons entirely, and don't want to repeat DM, might I suggest Rad?  you get a heal to shore up WP and a damage aura to help with RttC's less than amazing taunt ability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

41 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

My first WP on live (and the 2nd toon I created on Homecoming) was a WP/Mace.  Mace is a very strong set with good Single Target and good AoE damage.  The nice thing about WP is that other than your T9 you have no clicks, meaning no redraw on your mace.

If you want to avoid weapons entirely, and don't want to repeat DM, might I suggest Rad?  you get a heal to shore up WP and a damage aura to help with RttC's less than amazing taunt ability.

Hhmmm didn't think of /Rad, I have it on my fire farmer but rarely use any attacks.

I'll have to check it on Mids.

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

Ok so like forever I've been wanting to do a Willpower something and finally dagnabbit I'm going to do it!

But, I have no idea what to pair it with, I absolutely for the love of all things holy cannot do another SS or EnM anything.

I have a DA/DM and a Rad/Ice that I love, and currently working on a Elec/Psi, so repeats are a no no.

Was thinking WM but haven't really sold myself on it, as I'm not fond of weapon sets.

Any ideas? Or advice on something that would mesh well with WP?

Nice man! I just rolled a WP tanker myself, since I never had one. Dinged 50 last week and it’s been a blast. I paired it with Street Justice due to thematic reasons, but it has been great! Highly recommend.

Honestly, since WP is so “set and forget”, it would probably pair well with any of the secondaries that have a “combo” type of system, like Street Justice. Dual Blades and Staff Fighting could mix well. Staff in particular has forced redraw, so with a set like WP where you don’t have to click any defensive powers, it becomes a non-issue. Plus, since WP has such great end management built in, you could pretty much stay in Form of the Body the entire time.

So, since you’ve listed some sets you’ve already used, my vote would be either WP/StJ, WP/Staff or WP/DB =] 

Since you aren’t too found of weapon sets, Savage Melee might be one to look at as well.

Edited by StriderIV
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of trying out a WP/Stone Melee tanker. Don't really have a build for it yet, but I think it would probably synergize very well with all the knockdowns to alleviate the lower defenses and WP could supply the fuel well enough. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psyonico said:

This. In fact... I might have to try that combo... don't think I've done that paring yet.

• Like 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

4 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Since you aren’t too found of weapon sets, Savage Melee might be one to look at as well.

I have done this combo and it's a blast. I'd go this route if you want some crazy fun. The Teleport opening attack (post 38) really makes the build worth the wait. Meltdown+BU+Savage Leap (SL)+Radiation Therapy (RT)+Ground Zero (GZ) and Rending Fury = Where'd everyone go? (note: you can mix/match your AoE Attack chain to your style). RT and GZ do debuff so there is a argument to be made for doing those first, after SL.

• Like 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

I have a lvl 50 WP/Stone tanker, minimum size, dressed like an anime character, so I can bring the giant mallet wallop!

Its fun, and a bit endurance heavy, so it pairs well.

There are 2 aoe's which do knockdown, so some extra mitigation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

I made a wp/staff tank bc I wanted an "all natural " toon. He's fun. I love the "toggle and forget" aspect of WP. And Staff, regardless of what everyone said, I found to be very fun. LOTS of DoTs.  May not be the most damaging set, but I like seeing all the orange numbers fly.

• Like 1

This is odd - I just checked my spreadsheet because I couldn't think of any WP tankers and sure enough - I don't have any...  yet.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!  😄

• Haha 2

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Thanks guys!   Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that I 'overlooked' that.  I love WP normally (I was a regen nut on live before... well, you know).  I have a bunch of WP Brutes, some Sents, Scrappers and Stalker... but no Tankers.  I have been remiss in that area.  Love the advice.  Will be coming up with one or two WP tankers soon and those all sound great to me.  Thanks again!

Edited to add:     LOL, I just checked my spreadsheet again and I have ZERO dual blades.  So one of these will probably be WP/DB.  I am almost equally torn between StJ, WM, SS and EnM.  And as you mentioned, there's many more that work well. 

Edited again to add:     I now have "Double Play" (WP/DB) and "Detrimental" (WP/Psi).  I already have a build for the wp/psi and it looks awesome (insane with 3 incarnates).

And I have this 'imaginary' cap that I keep adjusting on my total characters.  Was capping at 100, recently bumped to 110, now looking like my cap is going to be bumped to 120.  This reminds me of 'scope creep' in software development, lol.  This wasn't a problem for me until HC went and made Tankers awesome(er)...  but this is the kind of problem I like to have (too much to do instead of too little).  👍

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

I love Willpower.  Always have, always will.  power.  heh.  Sadly it is a anemic little brother to Invulnerability in todays game.  With sets and incarnates anything Willpower can do Invulnerability can do better.  Except specific Trials and mobs like MoM incarnate trial and large groups of pure (and I mean pure, very rare) Psi damage.  And Willpower doesnt do spectacular in those situations (not as well as my Dark armor tanks and brutes, who ignore the stuff while everyone dies...or runs)

Here is a template from Hyperstrike.  He made one of these for each AT with an Invulnerability armor set.  I have run a couple of his builds as mains for long seasons.  Very happy with his work.

Just plunk in whatever attack set you want and start tailoring the other sets to your build goals.  Hyperstrike has already milked everything you can out of the Armor side of the AT.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Invuln Framework: Level 49 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Super Strength
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(5), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(7), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(9), GldArm-3defTpProc(9)
Level 1: [Empty] 
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 4: [Empty] 
Level 6: Dull Pain -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Resist Elements -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(13), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15)
Level 10: [Empty] 
Level 12: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 14: Resist Energies -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(21), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(21), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 16: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), Rct-ResDam%(29)
Level 20: [Empty] 
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27)
Level 26: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27)
Level 28: [Empty] 
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 32: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 35: [Empty] 
Level 38: [Empty] 
Level 41: [Empty] 
Level 44: [Empty] 
Level 47: [Empty] 
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;976;476;952;HEX;|
|78DA7D52DB4ED45014DDA7ED38307460C0B9A173011263906422E23B31224665129|
|231BE4ECA70181A6A67D229288FFE822FFE853FE05F2004FD082F891A7DAB7BCE5E|
|0162134FD2AE9EB5D75E7BB5A7EDD71BEEFBC76FD649B90F036F34EA3EF7C2031D6|
|5DA5EDFEF11AFC293F0E83008173623EFA57E35880EB24C3644D5DDD07B3A1CE996|
|6874E4EDF8811F1FDF44B9AD03AD5B9DC3213F77E24887FD789FF2DB8341D0DAF4F|
|BFBB11FF65DB3DBD2DE903739B3E90CB5DEA5EB8F867EAFF520EAC57EAFDBF646B1|
|8E8EAB3CFA165F27937C53E374498696F8E1B6434E43F05A13B828385161AC33DEB|
|389561D4AC6EB231B2831B0D54F29E47E017F0BBA7FAE349C7243864C0365C6049D|
|3193854516195C64984686696430161F9689A6D030859905CC2C60E61C669EB3791|
|EDA3CCC8B302FC2BC0C738B0F6406D1664CB44FDC3D6B5E2FB1674B4A9C8B82B567|
|32A1F6E3CADBD96C51C2B812A29511AD8A68554473585B11ADAAC0FC06CC3FF3E07|
|9D4E6FFA99941656EAE435087A001C112D79AA83557C8700BC0E4BF6BD9B9F81D92|
|9A4358099936DA4A31DB0EE4CC28C37CC95DFC0F60BEA6986F978CA516E563582F2|
|4BBF554CEE2FBA546A977967CB0B782775239EEA698D514B39662EEA798C902912D|
|4CF217EA55EA0F|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2

Yep.  Two of my favorite toons are Dynacron (INV/SS Tanker) and Justice James (SS/INV Brute) - both based on Hyperstrike's SS/INV build.  Then there's Infinitum's builds - also awesome.  Oh yeah, I have more than a few invulnerability tankers and brutes (not to mention shield too).  My love for inv (or shield) isn't going anywhere.  I just needed to add a couple of WP tankers to my stable.  I'm happy now.  At least until I spot the next thing I overlooked, lol.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP asked for WP, so I'll stick with WP.  My main tank is WP/MA.  I could go into how with one tap of Storm Kick he's pretty much the immovable object against anything but toxic, but that misses out the fun parts about all the cool animations.  The only thing missing with Eagle's Claw is that its not a Liu Kang teleport straight to face.

• Like 2

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

1 hour ago, KauaiJim said:

Yep.  Two of my favorite toons are Dynacron (INV/SS Tanker) and Justice James (SS/INV Brute) - both based on Hyperstrike's SS/INV build.  Then there's Infinitum's builds - also awesome.  Oh yeah, I have more than a few invulnerability tankers and brutes (not to mention shield too).  My love for inv (or shield) isn't going anywhere.  I just needed to add a couple of WP tankers to my stable.  I'm happy now.  At least until I spot the next thing I overlooked, lol.  😁

My love of Willpower goes back to live.  When you had to take extra picks to get Health and Stamina instead of them being free.  i ran so many Invulnerability Brutes gasping for breath until level 20 lol.  

With the advent of Willpower I had a Brute that could be free of the End Bar struggle.  Granted they could not handle Alphas as well as Invulnerability, but what can? 

Now that i look at Tank sets (specifically the Tanker AT sets) I think maybe, just maybe a Willpower built toward resist might be much more comparable to an Invulnerability.  6% res here, 6% res there, pretty soon you are talking real numbers.  And anything a Willpower can stand through for a few seconds they can recover from by the next attack chain.  

Danged, now I have another project to 50!  heh.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, KauaiJim said:

Edited to add:     LOL, I just checked my spreadsheet again and I have ZERO dual blades.  So one of these will probably be WP/DB.  I am almost equally torn between StJ, WM, SS and EnM.  And as you mentioned, there's many more that work well. 

Albeit a scrapper, I had a DB/WP scrap on Live and he was hella fun.  The previous comment about powers with attack chains is spot on, with how well they pair with WP.  My WP tank on Reunion is WP/Fire.  Don't know why, just thought it would be fun (and is).

Have fun 🙂

50s:

Reunion - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), NUTCRKCR (Inv/SS Tank), Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender)

Excelsior - DRKSTNITE (Dark/Dark Tank)

@PLVRIZR

Retail 2004 - 2012 lights out

Feb. 2020 - present

Edited by Blue03Cobra
  • Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

10 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I started another SS last week....fml lol

I love SS, but I love elec because late on it feels amazing and I like the feel of the early stone attacks. All of these are impactful. I'm not keen on energy melee, though, it feels weak and pathetic. Perhaps some of this might help you find an alternative?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Herotu said:

I love SS, but I love elec because late on it feels amazing and I like the feel of the early stone attacks. All of these are impactful. I'm not keen on energy melee, though, it feels weak and pathetic. Perhaps some of this might help you find an alternative?

I actually rolled a SS/SD in the mid 30s now, and a WM/WP at lvl 1. I'm thinking of changing it to SM just because its another set that I've never tinkered with and have always wanted to try.

I have 2 EMs on broot and stalker and I like it on the stalker more. I used to go crazy over Elec but sorta out grew it.

Edited by The_Warpact
Forgot something