What do you think changing P2W Field Agent to

Sykar

7 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Is there any point to inflicting cheesy pun names on everyone else other than your own amusement?

I guess I should apologize?  Sorry. 

• Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

1 hour ago, KauaiJim said:

I guess I should apologize?  Sorry. 

No need to apologize; you thought it would be entertaining. Other people may not, and may or may not speak up here about it, or in support of your suggestion. But to me, things like this bump up against the question of 'what should we ask the HC devs to allocate their time to? Will making changing a particular NPC's name to 'Vendor McVendorface' improve the game more than the same effort spent elsewhere?' YMMV.

• Thumbs Up 1

Consider this.

We can buy our inspirations from contacts, a machine in our base, a nurse at the hospital. Whatever you like, part of your world that agrees with you current character, alignment, origin story, whatever.

There is no reason P2W Vendors need to all be named the same thing either. Make the P2W Vendor in Pocket D be a bartender named Otis, or Charlie or Cassandra.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

11 hours ago, srmalloy said:

No need to apologize; you thought it would be entertaining. Other people may not, and may or may not speak up here about it, or in support of your suggestion. But to me, things like this bump up against the question of 'what should we ask the HC devs to allocate their time to? Will making changing a particular NPC's name to 'Vendor McVendorface' improve the game more than the same effort spent elsewhere?' YMMV.

Changing a name should be hardly much of anything considered "work" at all just a minor edit of whatever they use to name a NPC.

Edited by Sykar
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MTeague said:

Ideally, I would change the P2W and T4V vendors to Sir (Or Madam) Not Appearing In This Game

No.

They're useful for picking up the old vet rewards that we have no other way to get... Or do you want our Blackwands and Rikti Monkey pets gone along with the amplifiers and XP boosts? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 5/30/2021 at 1:45 AM, Sykar said:

Agent Payton W. Fields or Agent Patyon Wins or something similar? I think that the current name is just a tad bit too much on the nose.

I think the current name is perfect. Why beat around the bush: you’re paying to win.

If the vendor name wasn’t so on the nose, misconceptions would spread like wildfire and people would start assuming that Pay2Win products should be every bit as much a part of the balance conversation as inspirations and enhancements. When in fact it’s highly debatable whether or not the devs shouldn’t just nuke these vendors from orbit and erase them from the game entirely. The name as is keeps the products in their place.

13 hours ago, Sykar said:

Changing a name should be hardly much of anything considered "work" at all just a minor edit of whatever they use to name a NPC.

...and then push it out to everyone's client, because the character names are stored in the data files on each user's computer, because NPC names don't affect gameplay, so they're not an attribute that needs to be protected by storing it on the server -- and sending it to the client(s) every time it comes up.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

...and then push it out to everyone's client, because the character names are stored in the data files on each user's computer, because NPC names don't affect gameplay, so they're not an attribute that needs to be protected by storing it on the server -- and sending it to the client(s) every time it comes up.

So are you saying i could edit my game files and have the P2W vendor display as Vendor McVendorface on my game only?

8 hours ago, TheZag said:

So are you saying i could edit my game files and have the P2W vendor display as Vendor McVendorface on my game only?

I expect that it's more complex than that; if the strings are stored with no dead space, you won't be able to change it to a longer name without rebuilding the data file.

• Thumbs Up 1