Can't decide on a name...

Ultimo

What you guys think?  The character is based on Red Skull, but I can't decide on what name I want to use.

My first thought was the Red Scourge, but that's in use.

So, I looked for other names, and came up with the Red Blight... but I'm not sure it carries the same sense of menace.

I recreated him as the Red Bane... but it just lacks a certain something I can't quite put a finger on...

I thought about the Red Woe, but I can't play if I keep hearing Keanu Reeves in my head.

What do you guys think, Blight?  Bane?  Something else?

Roter Schadel? Or maybe Rotergeist (red ghost)?

Or maybe a combo of the various IDs, like Malik Schmidt. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

To clarify, he's not THE Red Skull, he's just based on him.  His powers are Mercs and Radiation, so I initially thought scourge or blight.  He wears a red helmet and rebreather mask to protect him from the toxic clouds he produces, which gives him a vaguely skull-like appearance.

Scourge was my first choice... but as with most of my characters, the name isn't available.

• Like 1

While I don't have a suggestion for you I have taken to placeholder names that eventually evolve into something if I find the character worthy. 

Hero Name TBD became Hero Named Ted when  I fell in love with him. 

The original Bssigh-man became Bird-man while playing around in the costume creator. I was pleasantly surprised it was available. Sadly he was one of many Kin Melee that has been abandoned. Latest version is some kind of a Corrupror I don't play. 

Unfortunately New Cool 2.3 now languishes as a Influence mule. 

Edited by Sakai

Is Crimson Scourge available?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Is Crimson Scourge available?

Not sure if that's passable or not.  Crimson Scourge is apparently an animal character in the He-Man universe.  Not techically a humanoid hero or villain, but I'm not sure how far the game's ban goes on characters in popular works.  I'd run it by the dev team first, just to be sure.

How about The Red Scowl?  😁

Perhaps terms related to the concern of a threat from Soviet-era Russia:  The Red Scare, the Red Menace, etc.?

There's Red Death or Red Deathmask borrowing words from Edgar Allen Poe's work The Mask of the Red Death.

You said he creates toxic clouds, so maybe Red Pestilence, or Blood Tox (perhaps as one: Bloodtox), or Bloodborn, since blood is of course associated with red. 

There's always the Crimson Terror.

There may be a certain doctor who might raise an eyebrow, but there was no character called that, and titles per se can't be copyrighted.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Haha 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Take the many "real" names of those who posed as Red Skull, and mix-and-match until you get something that you like.  Johann Malik, for example, or Sin Maxon.  Throw in the names of authors who wrote for the character, or actors who played him, and you've got an open field.

If you really want to keep the "red" and "skull" parts intact somehow, I'd recommend playing around with those words in Wiktionary.org or Google Translate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Throw in the names of authors who wrote for the character, or actors who played him, and you've got an open field.

Excellent advice!

But don't forget the artists!

And if you add in a bit of parody, or commentary, or critical analysis, you are golden for copyright purposes.

Thank goodness, or a friend of mine might be in trouble!

Leroy Jenkins

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

If it's just based on the Red Skull, then taking the idea of German from back up the thread, 'Rote Geißel' (probably have to enter it as 'Geissel', since I don't think the character name entry will take an eszet). But slapping 'Red Scourge' into Google Translate and picking different destination languages until you see something you like is an option -- Latin gives you 'Flagellum Rubrum', for example.

6 hours ago, srmalloy said:

But slapping 'Red Scourge' into Google Translate and picking different destination languages until you see something you like is an option -- Latin gives you 'Flagellum Rubrum', for example.

One caveat (also Latin!) about Google Translate - if you translate from English to another language, be sure to reverse the translation.  For example, 'flagellum rubrum' back-translates as 'red whip' in English, which may not mean what you want it to mean.