The most fun to play

The title explains itself: what's your favourite hero to play with and why? 🙂

I'm looking for advices for a toon that isn't necessarily the best dps, tankiest or the best in controlling situations. It just have to be fun!

Up to now, I'm having a lot of fun with my Ill/Storm controller: it's pure chaos on the field (sorry tankers, we know you hate us but are too polite to admit it :)) 

Edited by Bros Ex Machina
  • Like 3

Well... I mean, one person's definition of "fun" isn't necessarily someone else's. I could say (for instance) "I love stalkers and being able to sneak through missions, it makes me feel like I'm getting the better of the bad guys" but if beating down a ton of enemies and coming out with nary a scratch is what floats your boat, that doesn't help. :)

Honestly I think most of my answers would have nothing to do with abilities or gameplay - I lean heavily into RP for mine, so it's "I like this character because..."

If I had to pick characters due to setups I've liked, power wise (and not "I've put eleventy billion inf of sets in" and the like, either,) and look at sets and not RP reasons, I'd have to think about it a sec. But probably these.

Warshade. Just... yes. (I like both Khelds, honestly. This is mostly annoying in invasions where bodies fade faster, or against things like ghosts that don't leave a corpse, but otherwise, yes, Warshade.)

Mind/Fire Dom - I like mind to begin with. When I started this one up back on live, I started cranking the difficulty early... like single digits early. Still a blast to play.

Ice/Dark Corruptor - Takes a *little* bit to get going. But can chew up groups.

Pain domination. Paired with pretty much anything... mostly because I like going on mothership raids, I can help out in the center while still blasting away with two AOE healing powers going off, one of which doesn't interrupt anything. (Mastermind-wise, the toggle's a +regen, as I recall. But I don't like bringing MMs to raids. And anyone who's seen Rez Dispenser on Everlasting can tell I don't just sit still, either. )

Most of my Sentinels. Ice/ice, Elec/elec... just ... any of them. I like them.

Have to mention my Staff/WP brute. Yes, it's pretty much "you'll be tough without needing to think about it," and the character's also an RP staple, which is part of why I held off mentioning it, but it is also fun to play.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Greycat covered the whole subjectivity of "fun" already, so I don't need to get into that. For me, fun is from the powersets, the concept, and the gameplay. I have two candidates for my "most fun" characters.

The first is my Bio/Claws Tanker. He's one of my very few "joke" characters that ended up sticking because the concept was fun and the powersets work fantastically together. He's a lobster who was created to be an unstoppable beast for a mad scientist, but it turned out he was too nice and friendly to be evil, so he ran away to Paragon and became a hero. All of his costumes are crustacean themed, and as mentioned before, claws and bio-armor have good synergy. Claws attacks are fast and endurance light, and bio-armor has lots of offensive options for making even the most wet-noodlest of Tankers feel like Scrappers.

My second, more "serious" character is my Merc/Poison Mastermind. I love his playstyle because it's more "in-depth" than most of my characters who just hit things until they die. Tell my mercs to hide around a corner, set a poison trap right at the bend, go grab a large mob of enemies and herd them around the corner. Poison trap activates, hit them with my debuffs, and then they're all held and grouped up nicely together for my mercs to just open fire and lay waste to all of them.

I generally enjoy all of my characters, but those two are my favorites for just laid-back, good old fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

2 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

Greycat covered the whole subjectivity of "fun" already, so I don't need to get into that. For me, fun is from the powersets, the concept, and the gameplay. I have two candidates for my "most fun" characters.

The first is my Bio/Claws Tanker. He's one of my very few "joke" characters that ended up sticking because the concept was fun and the powersets work fantastically together. He's a lobster who was created to be an unstoppable beast for a mad scientist, but it turned out he was too nice and friendly to be evil, so he ran away to Paragon and became a hero. All of his costumes are crustacean themed, and as mentioned before, claws and bio-armor have good synergy. Claws attacks are fast and endurance light, and bio-armor has lots of offensive options for making even the most wet-noodlest of Tankers feel like Scrappers.

My second, more "serious" character is my Merc/Poison Mastermind. I love his playstyle because it's more "in-depth" than most of my characters who just hit things until they die. Tell my mercs to hide around a corner, set a poison trap right at the bend, go grab a large mob of enemies and herd them around the corner. Poison trap activates, hit them with my debuffs, and then they're all held and grouped up nicely together for my mercs to just open fire and lay waste to all of them.

I generally enjoy all of my characters, but those two are my favorites for just laid-back, good old fun.

I want to see what this lobster looks like. That sounds amazing. 

As for me, I've pretty much liked all my characters. My elec/ea stalker is pretty awesome but my elec/elec brute might still be slightly more fun for me even though she's less good technically speaking. The stalker is there just for straight damage but the brute can take a tanker role as well, which I find adds to the gameplay. Plus herding and burning is satisfying to meet. My new 50 psi/fire blaster might be the most questionable to me. Psi and fire melee both lack crunch. It just doesn't FEEL powerful, and I know psi blast kind of isn't. I still like playing the toon though. 

30 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

I'd like to see this hero-lobster as well!! 

5 hours ago, A Cat said:

I want to see what this lobster looks like. That sounds amazing. 

4 hours ago, Bros Ex Machina said:

I'd like to see this hero-lobster as well!! 

Ask and ye shall receive.

Spoiler

screenshot_200427-20-02-07.thumb.jpg.7f9e04a4cffd0a6d5da508a6304f6f28.jpg1434460235_CapedCrustacean.jpg.5f53397795e2389b0bc6e4704b549ac7.jpgscreenshot_200528-19-02-41.thumb.jpg.6ded7d2defaf4161e310f7f557382d06.jpg

He's named "The Caped Crustacean." 😆

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 9

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

For me, it's no question - ice/ice blast. There was a chap named @olepi who wrote a guide to ice blasting back on the old forums, and it sold me. I made one, and played that damn thing until I got all the badges I could possibly get. I'd missed out on some anniversary badges on live because I didn't know about the game until issue 3. Did the same thing here, too. Played it and got all the badges and again, enjoyed playing it. When I would team, I would see my blaster live while other blasters died. Because my skills were better? Certainly not. I'm only a touch better than mediocre. Because my build is better? Who can say? I dunno what they had under the trunk. But because of ice patch and blizzard? And Freeze Ray? You bet! 

Nothing better in a chaotic mob feeding frenzy than an ice blaster! And with the changes to HP, and Frigid Protection? Yowza! I honestly don't recall Frigid Protection from live. But I'm ancient, maybe I'm senile and forgot about it. But I know it's awesome now! 

• Like 1

I find street justice to just be REALLY satisfying*, especially when getting raider engineers. That's why it was one of the first I rolled on Homecoming.

*I'm not hyper violent, I just like the choreography! And rib cracker on engineers.

Edited by Rosencrantz
adding some extra commentary
  • Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Can't believe I'm getting to be the first to say anything Grav is the most fun because of Propel.  Throwing a forklift at someone' s head is really satisfying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Rosencrantz said:

I find street justice to just be REALLY satisfying*, especially when getting raider engineers. That's why it was one of the first I rolled on Homecoming.

*I'm not hyper violent, I just like the choreography! And rib cracker on engineers.

How does it perform? Never ha done and often wondering how this power was

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Can't believe I'm getting to be the first to say anything Grav is the most fun because of Propel.  Throwing a forklift at someone' s head is really satisfying.

I totally agree! Throwing random things to a mob. Is there really something more satisfying? Don't think so. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bros Ex Machina said:

How does it perform? Never ha done and often wondering how this power was

I miss a lot despite having enhancements, not sure what's up with that, but when you actually CONNECT, the enemies go down fast with a lot of pow pow pow. And it's easy to keep it going.

• Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Prefer stalker(elec/shield) when im feeling the story. Sneaking to the end so i can read the next part and all of rhe doods saying stuff.in mission

Brute(electric/anything) when i wanna smash.

Corruptor (sonic/poison)when i wanna team or blaster(something/sonic) when i wanna team and see how long i stay standing doing the dumbshit the other ATs let me do.

Edited by Xenosone
Because im making gravy without the lumps

Dark/Martial/Mace blaster here. Doin' the red side things. Send me money.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

To me the fun isn't in the powersets, it's in the concept.

So I usually generate the idea first, and then pick the powersets to go with it.  Having said that, my ILL/Storm is one of my favs, and I keep the chaos well under control until I go into full panic mode.  Tankers don't hate me.  😄

• Like 3

Grav/Storm controller is a hoot with wormhole, singularity and all the fun storm tools.

• Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I'm an altoholic, just because I like the way this game delivers on so many different flavors of fun gameplay. Here are my favorites:

• Mind/Psy/Soul perma-dom: control freak who can constantly leech stuff from foes to get stronger.
  • Bio/rad tank: sit in front of the most dangerous content in the game without worries. For when I want to play a protector or feel invincible.
  • Fire/fire/fire dominator: bonfire patches, rain of fire, fire cages, hot feet...basically if I want to go full pyromaniac and set as many things on fire for as long as possible, this is the way to go.
  • Elec/kin/elec controller: If all I wanna do is depowerfoes, and empower my team, this guy is crazy good. He's excellent at making a team awesome, and completely sapping/debuffing enemies' abilities. He himself does almost no damage, but boy, howdy does the team get awesome! this one's if you just want to be captain enabler.
  • Crab spider solder with fighting pool, leadership: for when you want to be a walking tank while hitting *everything.* Has a ranged AoE attack chain. Not awesome at killing single targets, but mobs of foes? Bring it. This is basically my ranged artillery tank.
  • Sonic/poison corruptor: Buffs? Who needs it. This is for having every tool possible to make those big nasty things into mewling, weak, and dying pushovers. This isn't just a bosskiller, it also makes the entire team even better bosskillers. One of the best debuffers around.
  • Demon/cold/ice mastermind: When I want to be tank and support at once. Ice chields make the demons tanky, /ice epics help me stay alive, /cold weakens enemies and buffs the team and pets. I love this for the character's concept, but the mechanics/gameplay are awesome on their own.

55 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

To me the fun isn't in the powersets, it's in the concept.

So I usually generate the idea first, and then pick the powersets to go with it.  Having said that, my ILL/Storm is one of my favs, and I keep the chaos well under control until I go into full panic mode.  Tankers don't hate me.  😄

I feel you bro 😂

What @Greycat said.  I've have plenty of characters and more than a few 50s, but most of my playtime right now is with Actionette.  She hit a sweet spot of playful personality and bowling ball blapper playstyle.  I've tried going back to melees and even a proc-troller, but they don't have the speed and activity I get out of a blaster.  Arresting villains at the speed of whee, as I've heard it said once. 😄

(Which is why the next project is re-inventing Phantom Lass as a DP/Dark blaster with Tele and Concealment.  The bitter fruit of crime needs a weedin'.)

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

DP Martial Combat is one of the most fun combos ive played ever its made me literally rethink my entire blaster build strategy and fighting strategy

• Like 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?