The Onesie

Snarky

Oh you wacky Superheroes (and villains)  Where? Why? Who? decided that the default super look is a unitard?  

“Y-yeah, I just I-I think it’s a little tight it’s hard to tell.” - Spiderman

"If I wear that thing, you’re gonna have to call me Cameltoe." - Jessica Jones.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who?  If you had to choose one person, the best answer to that question is probably Stan Lee.  Personally, I'm ok with his contribution to the genre.

• Thumbs Up 4

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Oh you wacky Superheroes (and villains)  Where? Why? Who? decided that the default super look is a unitard?

Carnival/circus strongmen were the original inspiration for the external underwear.  Tights were added for color and modesty so the comics could be marketed to children.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 9

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Comic books involve producing a lot of art on a deadline.  Clothing that drapes and wrinkles is hard to draw.  You basically draw the human form, then draw the clothing on top of it.  As a commercial form involving a lot of drawings of human figures, there were clear economic incentives to make the most-drawn characters have easy-to-draw clothing, which means tight clothing.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

You know @Snarky I think in the wee hours of the morn you get up. Making sure you don't wake Mrs.Snarky and the lil Snarkys, you like to sneak down to the cellar and wear one. 

Maybe practice some wrestling moves, jumping off a trampoline pretend flying, probably some Buffalo Bill mirror time.

Perhaps that's why you started this thread maybe justification into what you do, maybe some understanding where it comes from, and maybe some acceptance from the community.

Well sir you'll get none from me and your depraved unitard fetish.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

comic book lore-wise there might be reasons for the snug fit, besides showing off your gym results.  Skin-smooth fabric means less loose folds of cloth for a melee opponent to grab (of course, wearing it while wearing a pony tail kind of defeats the effect).  It also probably reduces friction/drag for flyers and superjumpers, and leaves no open neck lines or pockets of fabric for acid and corrosives to get into.

Any onesies I'm given better not come with those pajama footies.  Hated those when I was a little scrapper.  They were hot!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Techwright said:

comic book lore-wise there might be reasons for the snug fit, besides showing off your gym results.  Skin-smooth fabric means less loose folds of cloth for a melee opponent to grab (of course, wearing it while wearing a pony tail kind of defeats the effect).  It also probably reduces friction/drag for flyers and superjumpers, and leaves no open neck lines or pockets of fabric for acid and corrosives to get into.

Pfft, ponytails are for wusses.  Real women wear their hair loose and free.  Only noobs need to see what they're beating up.  (And if your hair's in your face nobody can tell that it's really your stunt double kicking their ass while you sneak out for a smoke break.)

(Real men would wear their hair loose and free too I'm sure if they had that option in the costume creator.  Let's have some real long hair styles for male characters while we're giving them fishnets.  EQUALITY NOW!)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Still waiting on my fishnets for men and leather straps/nipple rings for women.

EQUALITY NOW!!!

THIS so this! I gotta get my Dr. Frankenfurter on!

Edited by The_Warpact
  • Haha 3

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

11 hours ago, aethereal said:

easy-to-draw clothing, which means tight clothing

Another reason Steve Ditko is a madman and a personal favorite.

Doctor Strange with his baggy tunic, billowing cloak, and intricate trim. Spider-man with all the webs on his costume -- not to mention in his powers. Guy was nuts!

(Politically nuts late in life, but ya gotta separate the art from the artist (c.f. Neal Adams' planetology.)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 10/1/2021 at 7:01 AM, Luminara said:

Carnival/circus strongmen were the original inspiration for the external underwear.  Tights were added for color and modesty so the comics could be marketed to children.

This.  Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster patterned Superman's underroos on that look back in 1938 and made them really colorful as well, and now we're all stuck with this convention.  Unless you favor lots of pouches everywhere instead, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

This.  Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster patterned Superman's underroos on that look back in 1938 and made them really colorful as well, and now we're all stuck with this convention.  Unless you favor lots of pouches everywhere instead, anyway.

No.  Liefeldism needs to die.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!