If I wanted to make the most "Badass / Can Run Solo Without a Team," Scrapper, I would make...?

00Troy00

5 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

🙂

While I don't necessarily miss taking 4 months to get to lvl 50 playing 16 hrs a day, an argument can be made that we went well past easy mode a looooong time ago.

400 hours for my first 50. 50 my second. 250 for my first 50 villain. So, I hear ya.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

400 hours for my first 50. 50 my second. 250 for my first 50 villain. So, I hear ya.

Very much, that 750 hours to hit 50 was probably slow even for those days but altitis kicked in early, I was a complete newbie to MMO's in general and CoH specifically and I explored a lot ... I mean like dark areas on a map was bad explored.  I think even without xp boosts and exploring every nook and cranny 750 would be near impossibly slow these days.  It's a very different experience leveling these days.

The pairing hasn't been mentioned but I really enjoy my proc bomb Perma Soul Drain DM/Bio Scrapper. It hits hard with saturated Soul Drain and it's -res aura. I'm kinda curious on the numbers how that stacks up with dark/shield with saturated AAO. Im sure the dark/shield probably has bigger damage values, but the actual damage done is probably a bit closer after factoring in the -res.

13 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Let me know how that Dark/Stone goes for you Bill. I’ve been interested in the combo myself, torn between running it on a Scrapper or Tanker.

I'm not a fan of granite so I'll never play it on a tank or brute but the revision for scrappers/stalkers is fine.

Easily permable HP buff. Damage buff. Get out of debt free card with the T9. Dark has DC for end issues, a very strong attack that also heals, the shadow maul buff was solid. Haven't picked up the new touch of fear yet but it seems to also have been quite the improvement. And of course, Dark's tohit debuffs help out Stone's defense. Solid combo, really.

Last update, since we all know how this turns out:

Spelunker badge on accident
Lvl 13 at 2 hr mark, bumped to +0/x6
Lvl 16 2.5 hr mark, bumped to +0/x8
Lvl 20 at 3.5 hr mark.
Lvl 22 at the 4.5 hr mark. Vahz Wasting disease is nasty. Still sittin on +0/x8 but could probably start increasing the level side without issue now.

As with most scrapper combos, soloing to 50 is a breeze and would be even without amps and dbl-xp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Very much, that 750 hours to hit 50 was probably slow even for those days but altitis kicked in early, I was a complete newbie to MMO's in general and CoH specifically and I explored a lot ... I mean like dark areas on a map was bad explored.  I think even without xp boosts and exploring every nook and cranny 750 would be near impossibly slow these days.  It's a very different experience leveling these days.

It was my first trip with an MMO too. I spent a lot of time exploring. I definitely remember respeccing in to Fly when I hit 40 just so I could check out the shard. The Hollows in issue 2 pre travel powers was a trip. And hitting 14 was a HUGE deal then. And I'll never forget getting SS, thinking I was safe to get around that place, to just round a corner at light speed and getting one shot by a mob.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

This is how I remembered the game up on coming back. I never had a 50 on live because I didn't have time to play. I had a few around 32ish range but that was all.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, StriderIV said:

Great options thrown out so far. I know @Linea has done some crazy things with scrappers. Kat/Bio and Kat/Energy Aura being 2 of their faves. I feel Claws/Bio could be up there as well. Maybe Linea has some more OP scrapper suggestions haha.

I'd make Stone over EA now-a-days

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, 00Troy00 said:

I only have enough cash to make one!

Any/all ideas are welcome!

Dear 00Troy00,

While I can't be bothered to read many of the other inferior responses (I have jokes, not all are good) to your request, I will take a moment to point you in the right direction.

This may seem burdensome but the value outweighs the trouble.

Asking this player directly may not be as valuable as reading their posts along your journey.

They've chimed in already, but you may not be ready for the wisdom to transfer yet. It'll happen, it takes time.

Some of the details will reveal themselves while you travel the learning curve to becoming a 4x8 incarnate content whirlwind of doom.

"when the student is ready, then the teacher will appear"

You are looking for the "follow member" button on the linked page:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/profile/3080-bill-z-bubba/

Also the "see their activity" button and just start on the last page (page 127).

read everything, don't get distracted

you are looking for Claws/SR

when you're done, you'll be able to play most all melee at a high level.

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

I'd make Stone over EA now-a-days

Good to see you on the forums FUB! I’ve always loved your insight on posts. What makes Stone stick out to you on a Scrap? And specific primaries you’d pair with it?

I have one scrapper to 50, a DM/Shield. Wondering if Stone would be worth running, or if I should just got all offense with a /Bio scrapper haha 

21 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

While I don't necessarily miss taking 4 months to get to lvl 50 playing 16 hrs a day, an argument can be made that we went well past easy mode a looooong time ago.

Ran to contact in Skyway, she sends me back to KR. Yea... there's a reason I stopped bothering. 🙂

You know, this is a whole thread by itself.   There's good and bad to even the QoL changes.  Back in i4 when you had to Sprint around KR, there was a real sense of danger.   Now, with LRT and Athletic Run, that's all but gone.  Unless you get hit by Rikti Ship in PI, when's the last time anyone died in transit?  Those things added an element to the game, created an experience that is now largely gone.  Sure, for all of us who did the grind back in the day, I am loving the changes, but I don't regret having played hard mode back in the day.  

One thing I'm glad they didn't change is the monorail.  You have to wait for the doors to open before you can select your city.  I like that.  It makes it feel slightly more real as opposed to the position of the doors having no impact.  Others may disagree, but I think those little things are important.

The other thing that dawns on me is the motivation of the developers is totally different.  Back in i4, Cryptic simply didn't have the content, so a slower leveling pace was needed.  They also wanted there to be more teaming benefit and co-dependence.  At least while leveling up.  So things like an SR Tanker would have been problematic.   I will say that the in-game mentality does seem to be all about power-leveling.  All the AE farming, etc.  Maybe I left before it got so dominant, or maybe I'm just noticing it more. 

I haven't tried out any of the other versions of CoH that are floating around, this one seems good enough.

Edited by Blackjoy

6 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

I'd never touch anything without a taunt aura.  As soon as something runs, it doesn't matter what your dps is.

Counterpoint: BZB Scrap still manages clear all DA repeatables faster than BZB Brute, regardless of the 2nd having a taunt aura and the 1st not. Granted, that gap would become wider if scrap SR had the same taunt aura as brute SR.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

I'd never touch anything without a taunt aura.  As soon as something runs, it doesn't matter what your dps is.

I have a StJ/EA Scrapper.  EA has a taunt aura.  The enemies are still running.

Now, I haven't done an INV or WP on Homecoming and I don't recall how well my BIO did with runners, because I never got to focused on it (really really want to use it on my main, for being a fun set, but I just haven't gotten into for my main).

However, I'm going to guess, taunt aura isn't stopping runners, at least on Scrappers.  Though, I've had runners on my Ice/Fire Brute and Elec/Elec Brute.

Can't recall how my Tank did with runners at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, BrandX said:

However, I'm going to guess, taunt aura isn't stopping runners, at least on Scrappers.  Though, I've had runners on my Ice/Fire Brute and Elec/Elec Brute.

I definitely see the difference between my claws/sr and my db/nrg scrappers when it comes to runners, just as I do between the scrap and brute BZBs. While it does appear that sometimes debuffs override taunt, the taunt auras scrappers have are functioning as designed just as all brute and tank auras function.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I have a StJ/EA Scrapper.  EA has a taunt aura.  The enemies are still running.

Now, I haven't done an INV or WP on Homecoming and I don't recall how well my BIO did with runners, because I never got to focused on it (really really want to use it on my main, for being a fun set, but I just haven't gotten into for my main).

Can't recall how my Tank did with runners at the moment. 

Don't think EA actually has a taunt aura for scrappers.  It has a PBAOE debuff aura without the taunt component I believe.  Which is better than nothing but less .. glue-y. 

12 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Don't think EA actually has a taunt aura for scrappers.  It has a PBAOE debuff aura without the taunt component I believe.  Which is better than nothing but less .. glue-y. 

Negative.

https://cod.uberguy.net./html/power.html?power=scrapper_defense.energy_aura.entropy_shield&at=scrapper

It's got the same redirect to the standardized 13.6 second mag 4 taunt as the rest.

https://cod.uberguy.net./html/power.html?power=redirects.inherents.fury_proc_aura&at=brute

Edit: Theory pulled directly from my posterior... I suspect that all these extra entries and redirects added when they normalized taunt auras are playing a roll in things taunt related going wonky.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

ahh, cool then.  My Mistake.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Well, looks like Bill covered it, but should also say, EA's taunt aura accepts taunt IOs.

However, Bill says he see's a difference.  Maybe there is, but I'm still seeing runners with my taunt auras going.

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Counterpoint: BZB Scrap still manages clear all DA repeatables faster than BZB Brute, regardless of the 2nd having a taunt aura and the 1st not. Granted, that gap would become wider if scrap SR had the same taunt aura as brute SR.

Counterpoint, Scrappers do much more dps than Brutes.  Especially in those repeatables where you're doing them for speed and not drowning in enemies.

4 hours ago, BrandX said:

Well, looks like Bill covered it, but should also say, EA's taunt aura accepts taunt IOs.

However, Bill says he see's a difference.  Maybe there is, but I'm still seeing runners with my taunt auras going.

Do Freaks not run because I have a video of them facing my Savage/EA scrapper where they seem to stick around until their end:

34 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

Counterpoint, Scrappers do much more dps than Brutes.  Especially in those repeatables where you're doing them for speed and not drowning in enemies.

Wut? I run at max diff on both. That's kinda drowny.

Edit: But yea, higher DPS > loss of DPS from runners. Scrapper no taunt still beats brute no taunt, as stated.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba