Doing something wrong

I watch a few streams of Homecoming and I see some UIs that don't look even close to mine. Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. 

For example, I use 3 toolbars at most until lvl 50 then add a fourth for incarnates and clarification. 

Do you look at another toon or stream that makes you think "I'm doing something wrong"?

Edited by Lusiphur Malache
Mistake

I've learned over the years that you do you and what works for some might not work for all. I have a friend that actually plays with no UI, others that keep their UI sorted in all sorts of ways.

So if it works for you don't fix what isn't broken, but otherwise experiment a bit and see if a different style feels better.

• Like 1

The biggest mistake most players make, IMVHO, is not scaling the UI elements individually to optimal sizes. Not everything has to be humongo or micro.

Use /windowscale to set each UI element at an optimal size.

Use /wdwsave to save the configuration.

Use /wdwload to load the configuration if you mess it up. You can also use this to load the UI on other alts.

And you can use named saves to keep separate UIs for each alt or different play modes.

But it's not just arrangement... it's scaling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I'd also advise substituting a font that distinguishes between uppercase i, lowercase L, and numeral one.

(Yeah, I was the guy on Live who annoyed the "parallel illusion" supergroup by successfully distinguishing between its members.)

Edited by DoctorDitko
nostalgia
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

You only need to do it as you need it for yourself.

I started with one toolbar. Realized I didn't have nearly enough space, got a second toolbar. Realized it was not nearly enough and got a third toolbar. Realized it was not nearly enough...

Each time I'd change keybinds and get used to it and then blah. Of course this was also before we got that nifty Fast Travel that compressed all the teleports into a single button so that's like, 5-7 buttons who suddenly disappeared.

52 minutes ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I watch a few streams of Homecoming and I see some UIs that don't look even close to mine. Makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. 

Could you maybe share a pic or link to what you mean?  I just setup whatever windows I find useful for the character I happen to be playing...

That seems like an overly jumbled and/or visually unappealing setup, IMHO, but if it works for that player, more power to them.  I wonder if they're just using a series of binds and/or using one of those setups that changes what the same key does with each press...

Edited by biostem

1 hour ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

Do you look at another toon or stream that makes you think "I'm doing something wrong"?

Of course not. I look at other UIs and think THEY'RE doing it wrong. And now I'll go back to read the rest of the replies to see who already said this.

Edit: Nobody? Really? Wow.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Of course not. I look at other UIs and think THEY'RE doing it wrong. And now I'll go back to read the rest of the replies to see who already said this.

Edit: Nobody? Really? Wow.

My apologies. If I'd gotten here first, I certainly would have stated that the other folks are doing it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've personally tried many different configurations, and will continue to do so, but I have one rule of thumb:  never overlay or crowd the character.  That is where the action is and that is what I want to see, not a UI arrangement, no matter how cleverly designed.

• Like 3

Annnnd one answer isn't even correct for myself alone.  My Main (of mains) a Scrapper with 3500+hours of game time had a much different set-up than my main Empaths who had different set from pretty much any new wet behind the ears newly minted character.  While they all had some fundamental basic arrangement in common they also changed based on frequency of play and their AT and sets etc..   My Claws/SR, for example, had far more space devoted to macros (and binds) to various targets, some because they were dangerous to her (i.e. Quartz eminators) others because they were a threat to most teams (Sappers).  She also had chat tabs configured to monitor things in combat channels that other characters didn't.