City of Heroes "lifehacks"

Not sure if this qualifies as a hack but I always switch the positions of the target window and the map window on every toon as soon as they enter the game at lvl 1. Why on Earth the original team thought having a large map in the Center of the screen obscuring your view and the smaller targeting window over on the left is beyond me.

MCM

• Like 4

I always bind sprint and ninja run to the first and second numberpad keys so that I can turn them on and off at will.  Later, when I get fly (or some other travel power) I'll replace the sprint one:

/bind numpad1 "powexecname sprint"

/bind numpad2 "powexecname ninja run"

/bind numpad1 "powexecname mystic flight"

Click on powers on your power tray -> combat attributes and then right-click on any stats/attributes that you'd like to always know and select the monitor option.  My go-tos are current hit points, defensive stats (usually smashing defense, fire defense, energy defense, unless it's a character that favors positional defense like a /shield scrapper), maybe some resistance stats, recharge, damage bonus, influence.  Whatever, now you have a window you can place anywhere that shows those stats.

When you get to level 35 you can go to Night Ward, where you'll appear in a hedge maze around a mansion.  Go inside the mansion, you'll get an explore badge that instantly grants you access to Midnighter's / Cimerora.  (You can do this before 35, but Cimerora is level 35 to access.)

When someone wants you to join a task force, in particular an ITF, tell them you'll be there in a second.  Don't join a team yet.  Open you your LFG tab, find the contact for that task force, and then click the button next to him and also click the button to LOCK THE TEAM (lock the event for your group).  Then click queue, and you'll instantly teleport to the contact.  (Obviously, this only works for task forces and trials that have an in-world contact).

So if you want to join an ITF and don't have the badge, you can get it inside a minute and  teleport directly to Imperious.

• Like 1

I buy a bunch of specific insps and email them to myself. That way if I am in a mission, I can access more of what I need if my tray runs low. 

For key binding, I try to use a letter that I can easily associate with the power...F for fly, H for heal, P for telePorting friends, etc. Makes it much easier for me to remember...

/bind F "powexec_name Fly"

/bind P "powexec_name Recall Friend"

/bind PageUp "powexec_name Resurrect"

/bind O "powexec_name Ouroboros Portal"

/bind Z "powexec_name Super Speed" (ZIPPING around)

/bind T "powexec_name Taunt"

etc.

I use the F-keys for my toggle powers. Pet summoning, Blazing Aura, Arctic Air, Danger Sense, etc.

I use my Vault (not regular salvage) to store extra uncommon/rare salvage, and use a macro to bring it up. Then, they can be transferred from vault to regular.

/macro VLT "$$ toggle vault"

I keep my UI windows clear so I can see more of the screen.

3GZzjI4.jpg?1

• Like 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Learn to make binds.

Team select, Target nearest, turn on Sprint AND SS or Ninja run, bodyguard mode on MMs. Homecoming also added some bind options that weren't in the original game,  like the ability to target a location-based power on a selected friend or foe. This can make placing a Tar Patch or Rain of Arrows way, WAY easier.

I'd love to know how to do this!

pow_exec_location <location> <power name>

Location can be "target", "me", or a direction:distance signifier. (To quote the notes: "Direction can be forward, back, left, right, up, down, -or- it can be a number. If it's a number, it is taken as an angle in degrees. 0 is straight in front of you, 90 is right, etc. It can also be camera, to indicate the direction the camera is facing, including elevation")

It works great for Rain of Arrows (especially after the buff to its animation).  I have a macro for powexeclocation target "Rain of Arrows", which centers the rain on my currently selected target (which doesn't necessarily have to be an enemy), letting me just tap a single button rather than having to place it.  (Though I can still place it manually if I want)

My one universal macro is /macro FIND, "targetname [name]"  That puts a grey button with "FIND" on your tray.  You can then add more with $$targetname [name] or just edit it to whatever you are searching for by right clicking.  It's great for finding blinkies, hostages, and priority targets like sappers and BP Sorrows.

Travel powers are optional. You can out pace most travel powers in most circumstances with sprint+ninja/beast run+jump pack.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

My one universal macro is /macro FIND, "targetname [name]"  That puts a grey button with "FIND" on your tray.  You can then add more with $$targetname [name] or just edit it to whatever you are searching for by right clicking.  It's great for finding blinkies, hostages, and priority targets like sappers and BP Sorrows.

I do this as a bind - /bind p beginchat /bind v target_custom_next (leave a space after). Obviously can change the keys to whatever you like but basically I hit p, type the name of my target and enter. then I can spam v as I run through the map. Great for hunts and find the boss tf missions. Try it for the Sybil, cyst, general, requiem targeting for speed itfs.

Travel powers are optional. You can out pace most travel powers in most circumstances with sprint+ninja/beast run+jump pack.

There are a bunch of flight packs in P2W vendor that are trivially inexpensive unless you spend your days and nights doing patrols in the Shadow Shard. When I realized this, I just stopped taking travel powers except on my two toons where I want SS and the Stealth that goes with it.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Oh and since someone brought up BINDS... you know you can use multiple costume slots for all sorts of special effects right?

I mean, you can change into and out of your secret identity with ease (or even to the SuperSayin... ain't even my final form shtick if you want).

/bind [key] "cce [slot] [effect]"

If you want to throw some confetti and change into your first costume slot:

/bind j "cce 0 ccConfettiThrow"

If you want to cast a mystic spell to turn into your second slot:

/bind k "cce 1 ccCast"

There are a bunch of them, some quite crazy and extreme... test them all for fun!

ccBackFlip Do a backflip and land in your new costume.

ccCast Make a Dr. Strange/Constantine spell cast to change.

ccConfettiThrow Throw a giant burst of confetti from your pocket and change.

ccDimensionShift Spread into multiple dimensions and reassemble changed.

ccDrinkFormula Drink a flask of formula to effect the change.

ccEnergyMorph Crouch and fire off an energy burst to change.

ccEvilLaugh Evil laugh and burst into flame to change.

ccFeatherBurst Change in a spray of feathers.

ccFireworks Change in a burst of fireworks.

ccFurBurst Change in a spray of fur.

ccGiftBurst Gift falls on you and explodes open to reveal change.

ccHowl Howl and change.

ccIceBlock Disappear into an ice block and emerge in your new costume.

ccInnerWill Focused energy in your chest triggers the change.

ccLightMagic Glowing ground sigil and vertical effects make the change.

ccLightning Change in a furious burst of lightning.

ccMurderOfCrows Change by bird … sort of an evil Cinderella thing.

ccNinjaLeap Leap high into the air and land changed.

ccNuke Impressive nuclear blast changes your looks.

ccOilStrike Giant gusher of oil changes you.

ccPressureRelease Stomp ground to release geyser that changes you.

ccPrestoChango Change with a dramatic magical gesture.

ccPureEnergy Change in an energy burst.

ccRainbow Change in a magical haze at the end of a rainbow.

ccRapidBoil Go to a bubbling boil of green sewer ick and emerge changed.

ccSalute Give a full salute and change to your new costume.

ccSmokeBomb Throw down a smoke bomb and emerge changed.

ccSpin Spin rapidly and stop in your new costume.

ccStoneBlock Disappear into a stone block and emerge in your new costume.

ccSuperSerum Inject super serum, beat chest and emerge changed.

ccVanguardSigil Vanguard ground sigil and green haze leave you changed.

• Like 1

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

There are a bunch of flight packs in P2W vendor

Do Radio/Newspaper Missions. First completion of Atlas Park Mayhem/Safety mission gives you a two hour flight pack.

First completion of the King’s Row bank job gives you a super jump pack.

First Steel Canyon gives you a self Rez

First Skyway gives you recall team.

Etc....

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mayhem_Mission

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

My bind for toggling between Hover and Fly on a single key press:

/bind F12 "powexectoggleon Hover$$powexectoggleon Fly"

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

My bind for toggling between Hover and Fly on a single key press:

/bind F12 "powexectoggleon Hover$$powexectoggleon Fly"

I don't currently know where to find it, but back in the day I had a script that was in game that would automatically switch to fly when moving with wasd and automatically switch back to hover when not moving.  Was wonderful for playing a flying blaster, because it eliminated the accidental acc debuff from leaving fly on.

I buy a bunch of specific insps and email them to myself. That way if I am in a mission, I can access more of what I need if my tray runs low. 

For key binding, I try to use a letter that I can easily associate with the power...F for fly, H for heal, P for telePorting friends, etc. Makes it much easier for me to remember...

/bind F "powexec_name Fly"

/bind P "powexec_name Recall Friend"

/bind PageUp "powexec_name Resurrect"

/bind O "powexec_name Ouroboros Portal"

/bind Z "powexec_name Super Speed" (ZIPPING around)

/bind T "powexec_name Taunt"

etc.

I use the F-keys for my toggle powers. Pet summoning, Blazing Aura, Arctic Air, Danger Sense, etc.

I use my Vault (not regular salvage) to store extra uncommon/rare salvage, and use a macro to bring it up. Then, they can be transferred from vault to regular.

/macro VLT "$$ toggle vault"

I keep my UI windows clear so I can see more of the screen.

3GZzjI4.jpg?1

How'd you get that macro bar on the right side with the wide buttons?

How'd you get that macro bar on the right side with the wide buttons?

Looks like it might be Healix's custom.window trick (as seen in the "Um... are you lost?" thread), but it's a little different, such as the buttons being gray. But then again the whole interface is gray, so I assume that's just window color settings from the Options menu at work.

I use a keypad for my left hand and unless I'm chatting, never need to take my hands off the keypad and the mouse. In the early days of the game, i used the original Nostromo, then an N52Te. Now, I use the Razer Tartarus. My thumb controls jump, dive, back, Ctrl and Alt while my other fingers have access to all the number keys and regualr movement keys plus Tab. So with CoH, my first step upon finishing character creation is setting up three trays for the powers. From that point on, it's just a matter of dropping powers into whichever tray I use, e.g., attack chain in tray 1, #s 1-5, etc. Less used powers or toggles are placed where they are harder to reach.

Not only does this setup work for CoH, I also used it with CO and other MMOs.

• Like 2