DPS troller.??

aaronares

Looking to make a blaster disguised as a controller 😄  teaming is fun, however i really want to be able to solo x8 +3 and possibly +4

wanting to get some feedback on a few possible combos

illusion/ storm

illusion/ Ta 

Gravity / Storm. 

fire / dark. 

looking forward to everyones feedback and experience with these combos.

For x8, Fire and Plant are the best options. Plant is more ranged based so more blaster like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

For x8, Fire and Plant are the best options. Plant is more ranged based so more blaster like.

This.

Don't get me wrong, Illusion/Storm or /TA are excellent combos (I've got 50s of each) but illusion is more single target focused, where as Fire gives Hot Feet for excellent AoE damage and Plant has Seeds and Creepers for mass hilarity.

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

• 3 weeks later

Agree with all the above.  Any mix of Fire or Plant paired with Storm or TA is going to devastate large mobs and going to be equally deadly to hard targets.  Plant might be slightly less deadly to AVs simply because its Confuse won't be very effective against them.  Then again if you can keep a mob confused and beating on the AV with you 👍

Ill/Traps I haven't tried yet but it is likely very potent against AV/GM class foes and only slightly less fast in creating corpses vs numbers of foes.

I'll always adore Plant, and I think Dark has some solid damage via procs. But Fire/Time/Stone is my current troller and the damage output is solid. Time may not lend much to outright damage, but gives amazing mitigation with some added debuff, and the recharge is very very welcome. 

I think Fire would pair with more damage/debuff oriented secondaries too, so Fire/Cold, Fire/TA or Fire/Storm all should work well.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:46 PM, aaronares said:

Looking to make a blaster disguised as a controller 😄  teaming is fun, however i really want to be able to solo x8 +3 and possibly +4

I can't offer any advice on the specific combos you listed, but I have some general advice for x8+4 or x8+4: The relative level shifts will likely mean that you will require (global) +Accuracy (and, if possible +ToHit) bonuses, which can work against the general advice of trying to fit as many %proc as possible. You will also need to be sensitive to your defenses against boosted enemies. There really is no secret to doing this, but I don't typically see forum builds advertising power choices or set bonuses for "Accuracy/To Hit" like I do for Defense/Resistances.

If you are running a character with Incarnates, obviously these are easier to address... below a certain level, and you will struggle more.

It may be possible to leverage a combo of primary/secondary that also provides (AoE) debuffs that can effectively increase your defenses (-ToHit) and/or DPS (-Resistance) so that solo x8 against large spawns is smoother than simply trying to go for MOAR DPS.

• 2 weeks later
On 5/20/2022 at 3:33 AM, oedipus_tex said:

The PBAoE king of this IMO is Plant/Kinetics/Stone. Not that great versus an AV, devastation versus a big pack of enemies though. 

Would you be able to share more info here? I was planning to roll one, but a few people have told me there isn't very good direct synergy here because of the way Carrion Creepers interacts with the set. 

4 hours ago, purplereign said:

Would you be able to share more info here? I was planning to roll one, but a few people have told me there isn't very good direct synergy here because of the way Carrion Creepers interacts with the set. 

Carrion Creepers - each vine - has individual damage caps that can be buffed with fulcrum shift. Siphon Speed is an easy +60% rchg which is very helpful with plant which relies so much on the availability of seeds of confusion to determine how fast you can clear and how safely you can do it. Roots is the highest damage aoe immobilize, and spamming it is both worthwhile and mana hungry - transference makes this moot. 

So yes plant/kin is very strong. I personally prefer plant with sets that have defense and resistance debuffs like /poison and storm which dramatically accelerate your effective dps via self inflicted confusion damage. 

And stone mastery is just very strong overall and especially with kinetics because you can shove 6 dmg procs into seismic smash and still damage cap it. Same with Fissure, 4 dmg procs+forcefeedback. Fissure forcefeedback+siphon speed+set bonuses should get seeds of confusion down close to a 12 second recharge.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Currently on fire.

Are people sure that creepers can be buffed by fulcrum shift?  Different set, and of course I might have messed something up, but in a quick test on test server of a plant/nature I did once, I saw zero increase in the vine attack damage after using overgrowth (which has a +66% damage buff) on the creepers.

Roots and an epic aoe attack fulcrumed would still be amazing though, no doubt.

I personally also am on the side preferring the sets with strong -res, as I know those for sure increase creeper damage.  They also increase proc damage which is actually probably the bigger damage potential from creepers anyway.  I still believe plant/storm or plant/ta are more likely to be the true aoe king.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:46 AM, aaronares said:

wanting to get some feedback on a few possible combos

illusion/ storm

illusion/ Ta 

Gravity / Storm. 

fire / dark. 

looking forward to everyones feedback and experience with these combos.

Storm as a secondary is your highest dmg controller bar none. 

You can make illusion work
Ice Works
Fire Works
Plant works
Grav works
Even earth will work 
Dark will work too 

You will roll at 45+ where you can use Ageless 

Video demonstration Ice/Storm - NO INSPIRATIONS vs very tough mobs resistant to mez or mobs that can break free from any mez 

Edited by Voltak

14 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

Are people sure that creepers can be buffed by fulcrum shift?  Different set, and of course I might have messed something up, but in a quick test on test server of a plant/nature I did once, I saw zero increase in the vine attack damage after using overgrowth (which has a +66% damage buff) on the creepers.

Roots and an epic aoe attack fulcrumed would still be amazing though, no doubt.

I personally also am on the side preferring the sets with strong -res, as I know those for sure increase creeper damage.  They also increase proc damage which is actually probably the bigger damage potential from creepers anyway.  I still believe plant/storm or plant/ta are more likely to be the true aoe king.

For individual creeper vines to receive the damage buff they have to be "alive" the moment the buff is cast. The main Creeper pet itself, the invisible part that follows you around, is immune to buffs. The vine children it spawns receive the buff though. That's hard to achieve for Nature Affinity. A lot easier for Kinetics because of Fulcrum Shift's faster recharge.

• Like 1

For group kill speed, Plant is king.

For single target kill speed and “can solo anything” status, Illusion is king.

For secondaries, Storm and TA will add the most damage. Maybe Traps a bit too. There’s always Kinetics ofc too.

Edited by arcane

• 3 weeks later

I know the OP gave a list of options, but I can't speak to them.  Instead, Fire/ Kin / Fire and Fire/ Kin/ Stone are classics for a reason.   They are incredible DPS, and also offer great controls, and bonfire is one of the most powerful powers in the entire game.   Lots of fun! Soloing x8 +4 is moderately easy and there are several viable builds on the forums.