The problem with Dual Pistols

mousestalker

The problem with Dual Pistols is that it is way too much fun. I do not feel that the power set is over powered but it definitely feels that each new power actually does something useful. Plus it's way too much fun hosing down the bad guys. And the animations are pretty slick. I need my life back!

its odd you would even bring up overpowered.  The set as a whole is extremely stylish visually but lacking in comparison numbers wise.  As far as PvE goes, there really isnt much reason to use swap rounds for anything but incendiary... and you are trading Aim for that.  Even then, the damage isnt screaming OP, its merely on par with other sets not named fire.  Or i guess you might prefer the highly resisted lethal damage (which many would argue assault rifle is ONLY "bad" because it is majority lethal damage) so some of your skills can have knockdown/knockback and then the whole idea of flexibility with swap ammo is gone anyways.  aside from that you are trading snipe for a questionable low damage, shorter range disorient.  maybe its more useful in pvp with the -recharge rounds, but then i would probably prefer ice anyways because it has better holds.

the main thing is most of the other power sets have something "unique" about them whether it be range (psychic), -res (sonic), -hit (dark), or even just raw damage (lookin at you fire), but dual pistols tries to be more of the "jack of all trades" powerset. 

but yes indeed the set looks awesome.

• Like 1

You know, when the original devs put in the snipe change, they specifically said they were going to look at dual pistols as maybe getting a compensatory damage buff or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 3 months later

Rezz'ing this thread.  I have named my Rain of Bullets to Death Blossom.  I do not feel underpowered.  I am one of the most damaging blasters and ATs in my SG.  I am DP/Time which means I am perma hastened.  My Death Blossom is ready every 20 - 25 secs.  I have been known to trigger it for just one mob, just to watch it, since I know it will be ready for the next group.

Edited by Taboomantis

On 6/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, Sancerre said:

there really isn't much reason to use swap rounds for anything but incendiary

I haven't played DP much, but on a Sent I started (and seem to have abandoned), I found Cryo was useful for the slow effect, which seemed to be cutting down incoming damage a noticeable amount.  But hey, like I said, I haven't played it much.  Anyone know if I'm off base with that thinking?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I found Cryo was useful for the slow effect

Another point in Cryo's favor is that it boosts the Sentinel's range, which is quite helpful seeing as how their blast sets have shorter ranges than other archetypes with ranged powersets.

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

15 minutes ago, City_of_Jedi said:

Another point in Cryo's favor is that it boosts the Sentinel's range, which is quite helpful seeing as how their blast sets have shorter ranges than other archetypes with ranged powersets.

Cryo has more range than the others?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

34 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Cryo has more range than the others?

It does.  But only for Sentinels. 

If you read the description, it talks about the Cryo rounds being "more aerodynamic," or some such, and so they "fly farther."  However they justify it, I'm happy with it.   😁

• Like 1

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

13 hours ago, Darkir said:

You can use a proc build to greatly increase your ST dmg.

This is what I do for my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor and it's working out pretty well. Granted I don't solo too much, but I'm doing respectable damage in groups on top of providing that sweet, sweet Dark Miasma support. Procs are great with this set.

17 hours ago, BrandX said:

I love Dual Pistols as a set for animations.  I just wish I could dish out more ST damage with it.

I'm the opposite, I like pistols in theory, but wish the animations weren't so over the top.  Less twirling and gun flipping would also most likely lead to those animations being shorter and improving that ST dps.  Piercing Rounds was the really obnoxious one to me, so much so that the plan was to skip it on my DP defender.

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

I'm the opposite, I like pistols in theory, but wish the animations weren't so over the top.  Less twirling and gun flipping would also most likely lead to those animations being shorter and improving that ST dps.  Piercing Rounds was the really obnoxious one to me, so much so that the plan was to skip it on my DP defender.

I felt they were pretty standard except for PR, though lots of sets have long attacks.-

While I agree that DP is muy fun to play, I do think some of the animations can be toned down a little. I also almost skipped piercing rounds because it's just so hammed up, but I can really use the hurt it brings. I like all the rest though, especially how clicking dual wield while repositioning just feels and looks awesome in the same way dealing the killing blow with executioner, standing straight taking your time and boom; I must admit, I can never get enough of Hail. Sometimes, I go to the tailor so I can watch hail on a loop. 😃

The only other power animation I enjoy is Staff. If you time it right, guarded spin (t3) looks like it is deflecting bullets dead pool style. But I haven't played enough of it to be really good at it yet.

On the practical side, I've almost always passed on the swap ammo because 1) it's the cost of a power pick, and 2) I like and utilise knockback in my gameplay, which is negated by the swap ammo feature.  

On 6/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Sancerre said:

its odd you would even bring up overpowered.  The set as a whole is extremely stylish visually but lacking in comparison numbers wise.  As far as PvE goes, there really isnt much reason to use swap rounds for anything but incendiary... and you are trading Aim for that.  Even then, the damage isnt screaming OP, its merely on par with other sets not named fire.  Or i guess you might prefer the highly resisted lethal damage (which many would argue assault rifle is ONLY "bad" because it is majority lethal damage) so some of your skills can have knockdown/knockback and then the whole idea of flexibility with swap ammo is gone anyways.  aside from that you are trading snipe for a questionable low damage, shorter range disorient.  maybe its more useful in pvp with the -recharge rounds, but then i would probably prefer ice anyways because it has better holds.

the main thing is most of the other power sets have something "unique" about them whether it be range (psychic), -res (sonic), -hit (dark), or even just raw damage (lookin at you fire), but dual pistols tries to be more of the "jack of all trades" powerset. 

but yes indeed the set looks awesome.

I'd argue that the reason AR is "bad" is because it is painful to use. All of its key powers cause some type of fear, are DOTs, cones, the sniper isn't my favorite, the guns aren't cute looking, the AOEs are not *that* strong. It actually has great numbers, but in the game, it is obvious that it loses quite badly versus other sets with "less numbers."

• 2 years later

I have exactly the opposite reaction to dual pistols from most here.  I found the crazy animations to be silly and funny, at first.  But after about the 10,000th time I just found them annoying.  So much so that I don't play that blaster much because the crazy gyrations are so annoying.  When I do paly my dual pistols, I find myself wanting to scream at my character "Just shoot them already, FFS!!".

I did find the swap ammo thing to be interesting and occasionally pretty helpful though. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, subbacultchas said:

It is absolutely a blast, I agree. It used to be probably my favorite blast set, until I discovered water. I still think Dual Pistols has a good bit more utility and variation though, with the rounds.

Glad you're enjoying it, it's a fun set!

Which does more dmg  water Corruptors or blaster? Also, ehat do you pair water with as corr for maximum dmg?

• Thumbs Down 1