All zones changed to LEVEL 50 - thoughts?

Troo

Raising zones to 50   

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best course of action.

• Do it
    • Please no
  2. 2. How do you feel about mobs/groups which don't have level 50 versions getting cleaned up later?

• Okay with it
    • That's lame. Do or do not, there is no try.
    • No means no!! (see first question)

With the advent of instant level 50s with full Accolades and Incarnates, should we just bump all the zones, missions, and task forces to level 50+ so that players who choose instant 50s can have access to all the content they don't currently play?

This just makes sense from one point of view.

It looks like it would be super easy to implement per one dev and since everyone is going to be a 50 any issues with lower level mobs, activities, or characters really won't matter. Besides this is how all modern gaming, that some have seen, is done.

Any concerns?

What's the best way to implement?

this is a thought exercise not a suggestion

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The second question seems to be lacking an appropriate response given that I'm massively against the first idea? I don't often say things like this (or ever before to my knowledge) but if all content was made lv50 I'd leave and never look back. The journey is the game for me - I have much less fun at 50 (mainly due to how terrible I find the incarnate system).

Besides, we're not being given instant lv50s? They are only for PvP. And I'd vote against allowing them for PvE even harder and faster than I vote against making the entire game lv50.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

I play my 50s through the game at all kinds of levels when I'm running with our family SG team... It doesn't really matter to me what level that content is.

I would like to see all of the factions get 1-50 versions though. It would be fun to run into higher level Skulls and such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I am against the idea of "'everything's 50" or "everything level-less".  The game needs progression, parts of the world that are designed to cater to only certain level ranges, so players can feel a sense of growth.  i.e. "These Skulls are no threat to me, I should go find more dangerous challenges elsewhere."  If there's no reason to change zones, then people are just going to camp out in whatever zone has the shortest travel distances to missions or street sweeping mobs.  

That said, I would like to see what some lower/mid level groups would field if they had a few end game mobs, like the alternate dimension Family mission Unai Kemen offers.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, Parabola said:

The second question seems to be lacking an appropriate response given that I'm massively against the first idea?

Good point, made an edit.

36 minutes ago, Parabola said:

Besides, we're not being given instant lv50s? They are only for PvP.

If PvP gets them the likelihood of proliferation is much higher. (some would say a certainty)

12 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The Gothic Alice — poeticslave: m-paoword: Blade (1998) Dir....

Let's face it the answer is 'sometimes'. Like that one time I simply ran up and slapped Statesman in front of his gang..

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

This is about raising the level of all zones to 50.

Don't try and change the subject by quibbling over a key detail related to the need to raise the zones to level 50. If PvP gets insta-level 50s it just makes sense it will proliferate.

29 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

Devs have gone on record saying insta-50s for PvE is never going to happen.

Where? Was it prior to insta-50s for PvP being on the table?

Is it possible there has been a shift?

• Thumbs Down 4

56 minutes ago, Troo said:

This is about raising the level of all zones to 50.

What non-PvP zone level cap isn't 50 already? The tutorials?

Edit: Nevermind, players can be level 50 in the tutorial zones too.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Confused 1

OK, so if that would happen, can we support an AE environment that is open-world (non-instanced) that lets people play at a non-instant level 50 pace and team with random players, and has multiple zones and contacts to choose from?

/s

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Troo said:

HC doesn't mind power leveling & doesn't mind AE farms.

They've invested three years into improving the leveling experience, addressed sub-50 content issues and added sub-50 content.  They rebuilt the economy and implemented numerous safeguards against inflation which are reliant on players leveling in order to provide some of the necessary inf* sinks.  They revised the movement code and caps, and overhauled the pre-existing travel powers, to make leveling in the standard game easier and more enjoyable.  They're not going to obviate 8 years of previous work, and their own 3 years of work, destroy the entire economic base, create an inflationary spiral which dwarfs what we saw on the original servers and throw all of the sub-50 content into the shitter just to placate some impatient people.

22 minutes ago, Troo said:

PvP is getting this because they are tired of leveling up characters.

They're being implemented in PvP because PvP is, and always has been, a separate aspect of the game, one which has proven to be largely incompatible with the PvE aspect, as well as the least popular and populous.  Those insta-50 PvP-only characters also heavily restricted in what they can do, probably expected to be as grossly under-utilized as everything else related to PvP and highly unlikely to have any impact on the PvE game.  That's why PvPers are getting insta-50 PvP-only characters.

But you know that, because you've been participating in the relevant thread, and despite the façade, you're not an idiot.  This is just you being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

33 minutes ago, Troo said:

Endgamers are also tired of leveling up characters...

PvP players had to play two games, essentially, the PvE game and the PvP game, when they only wanted to play one.  They also suffered from a low population and general lack of interest in their aspect of the game because of the "level to 50, completely rebuild the entire character from the ground up with all different enhancement sets and counter-intuitive power selections and slotting choices" barrier imposed by the different rule set in PvP.  Insta-50 PvP-only characters resolves all of that, with no predicted impact on the PvE game.

PvE characters don't require complete redesigns after having been leveled.  PvE characters don't require entirely different enhancement loadouts to function at all in their preferred aspect of the game when they reach 50.  PvE characters don't require unusual build decisions and slotting choices to compensate for a completely different rule set and power effects.  PvE characters don't require instant max level to be viable against their foes.  PvE players don't have to jump through all of those flaming shit hoops.  PvE players don't need insta-50 characters to access their preferred aspect of the game because they're already there.  They may want insta-50 characters, but they don't need them.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I'm going to say something controversial, but I know what I'm talking about here.  I highly recommend you take time to really consider it.

Farming and instant 50s isn't the answer to being bored with content.  It's quite the opposite.  Farming, in fact, is the reason you're bored with content.  You're too used to getting exp quickly so everything else seems slow and boring.  If you're not gaining XP at the rate you're accustomed to, it means you're not getting your dopamine hits fast enough and you're unsatisfied. 

If you give up farming forever, maybe even take a break from the game to reset your expectations.  Or try what I did, and roll up a level 20 and freeze XP for a while to just play the hell out of a level 20 toon, exhausting all the content you can for a good week or two.  Maybe skip all the P2W stuff and travel powers.  Hide your mini-map.  Really experience the game with no shortcuts.  You'll might just find yourself enjoying content again.  I know lots of people say, "OH, i've been through contact missions so many times I don't want to do it again.  But be honest, have you really been through all of it?  Redside?  Goldside?  How many times have you done all the Striga missions?  Croatoa Missions?  Have you ever seen the level 20 Rogue to Hero tip mission where you wear a Statesman costume?

I'm not here to tell you how to play.  But if you find yourself wishing you could fall in love with this game again, I highly suggest you try abstaining from farming for a while.  Wait until it gets out of your system, and see what happens.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 8

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

The instant 50s isn't allowed to do pve missions, and only participate in pvp settings.

Pve doesn't need instant 50s.

That said allowing contacts and mobs to scale up to 50s so characters don't accidentally out level content I'm not opposed to. Thunderspy did something similar with  level-less zones and it worked well enough more or less, however certain mob types had to have more powers added to them to balance better at higher level of play, and lower level characters still had difficulty with normally higher level mobs because the number of powers that caused debuffs in things like Agony Mages, or Devouring Earth, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Luminara There's a lot to unpack in your reply. I'm gonna break it into two replies.

In one quote you used I tried gentle terminology which it appears was interpreted differently than I intended. See if you feel your response is still applicable with the edits below.

7 hours ago, Troo said:

HC doesn't mind isn't killing power leveling & doesn't mind isn't killing AE farms.

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

They've invested three years into improving the leveling experience, addressed sub-50 content issues and added sub-50 content.  They rebuilt the economy and implemented numerous safeguards against inflation which are reliant on players leveling in order to provide some of the necessary inf* sinks.  They revised the movement code and caps, and overhauled the pre-existing travel powers, to make leveling in the standard game easier and more enjoyable.  They're not going to obviate 8 years of previous work, and their own 3 years of work, destroy the entire economic base, create an inflationary spiral which dwarfs what we saw on the original servers and throw all of the sub-50 content into the shitter just to placate some impatient people.

I didn't say that HC has been sitting on their hands doing nothing, did I?

I am merely saying that even with all the changes, they have indicated they are not against players leveling up using AE.

That said, if some zones are being changed to level 50 to match insta-50s; then maybe there is a conversation to be had to make all zones throughout the game level 50.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

I like the Level 50 Token idea better for reasons.

I wanna agree, but I thought level 40 was a better option. The more I have considered it smaller level up ranges might be more versatile.

• Thumbs Down 2