What's one thing you love in CoH that most others seem to hate?

There are a few things that I really dislike in CoH...

SFX for Spines aura, Demon rawrs, and robots stomp-stomp-stomping.

The one thing I seem to hear about people universally complaining about are caves. Everyone seems to hate the caves.  Except for me.

When I first started playing CoH and entered my first cave I was immediately thrown back into the world of Morrowind. I had to constantly remind myself that, no... the enemies ahead would not be alerted to my presence when I splashed through a puddle. 

Anyone else out there with loves in the game that are out of step with the rest of your fellow players?

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I love leveling Controllers. I don't really feel the lack of damage or "slowness" of leveling that many others seem to experience. I feel incredibly powerful on Controllers when I lock down multiple enemies and just "arrest" them at my leisure. It's a different experience for me than when I am on a Dominator not having the versatility of a support set as part of my kit.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

Knockback.

I was just posting this.  I love knockback :)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

That Martial Arts focuses mostly on kicks. I used that to construct my main's backstory (his hands are not registered as lethal weapons, but his feet are).

The entire Super Reflexes powerset. I know it's thought to be underpowered and quirky. I don't care.

People pulling other mobs on top of you when you're already fighting one.  It's absolute chaos and I live for it.  Old supergroup on Live had a Spines/Regen who pulled that crap on us all the time, and I think we kept him around because he kept us on our toes.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Wow, there are people that don't like having half the map pulled to them?  Who knew?

I don't get tired of Council.  They're boring and easy mode and from the moment I learned to build my ma/invul scrapper to take on whole swarms of them I thrilled.  I love running the Council Earth map, and I really like Citadel because it's just a bunch of Council farms and I should probably run it solo a lot more, except my friend happen to like it too.  We ran one yesterday, and then another friend came on and said, "Let's do a Citadel!"  So we did it again.

Super Jump over Fly.

SJ is my favorite travel power. I take whenever there's a reasonable excuse to fit it into a character concept.

Why?

Just can't get enough of the unintended mini-game of trying to get to a mission door without touching the ground. Rooftop-hopping for the win!

Super Jump over Fly.

SJ is my favorite travel power. I take whenever there's a reasonable excuse to fit it into a character concept.

Why?

Just can't get enough of the unintended mini-game of trying to get to a mission door without touching the ground. Rooftop-hopping for the win!

I was doing that last night and a teammate "helpfully" teleported me to the mission door.  >:(  Let me roof hop in peace!

The sound effects for powers that have been toned down or now fade out. I loved them, really upset me when people complained them away. Also, some of the old school graphics that were toned down, because it was "giving people headaches."

There is a LOT of things that changed that I loved that a lot of people hated. And to me, this game isn't the same because of them.  :(

People pulling other mobs on top of you when you're already fighting one.  It's absolute chaos and I live for it.  Old supergroup on Live had a Spines/Regen who pulled that crap on us all the time, and I think we kept him around because he kept us on our toes.

That kind of thing drove me absolutely bonkers in WoW. Some players in that game, particularly tank specs and DPS specs that have great AoE, are always in a big ol' hurry, so when they have a quest to kill X mobs, they run into the area, purposely aggro everything in sight, and AoE them down as a group.

I, on the other hand, am an old guy who prefers a more leisurely approach to "kill X mobs" quests, tracking them down and killing them one at a time. I enjoy that.

So I would just hate it when I was busy fighting the very last mob I needed to finish the quest, and here comes somebody who thinks they're "helping" me by dragging their whole crowd of mobs over to where I am. Whether I wanted to be or not, I am now officially "in combat" with all these other mobs (even if they're all focusing on the other guy, if I somehow did even a single point of damage to them, they're mine now too), so I'm pretty much stuck having to fight the rest of them even after I've gotten that last kill I needed, because the game will not allow me to mount up and ride away until I am "out of combat".

Of course, I can simply run away on foot. Unfortunately, I still remain "in combat" until those mobs die. And if those mobs instead manage to kill the guy who rounded them all up, they are now all going to come after me. So it ends up being faster and easier to simply help kill ten more mobs that I didn't ask for, just to get out of combat sooner.

If I found myself in the same situation in CoX, I could at least simply activate my Flight and just fly away.

-Actually reading the mission text.  I end up running a lot of solo arcs so I can read what's going on instead of spam clicking through everything since people get impatient.

-Setting content to challenging.  Did it a lot on Live, but most everyone here seems to want their TFs set to +0 and that's it.  Invincible (aka +2) pre-Incarnate ITFs were fun back in the day.

-Vengeance.  ...the power, not getting vengeance on people.

Also, some of the old school graphics that were toned down, because it was "giving people headaches."

No need for quotes, it's a real thing.  Super rare for me, but if you run Sonic Resonance and make your big bubble a bright white, it'll give me a nasty headache every time, guaranteed, until it gets turned off, color changed, or I leave.  No idea why since so very little else bothers my eyes.

-Actually reading the mission text.  I end up running a lot of solo arcs so I can read what's going on instead of spam clicking through everything since people get impatient.

-Setting content to challenging.  Did it a lot on Live, but most everyone here seems to want their TFs set to +0 and that's it.  Invincible (aka +2) pre-Incarnate ITFs were fun back in the day.

-Vengeance.  ...the power, not getting vengeance on people.

Also, some of the old school graphics that were toned down, because it was "giving people headaches."

No need for quotes, it's a real thing.  Super rare for me, but if you run Sonic Resonance and make your big bubble a bright white, it'll give me a nasty headache every time, guaranteed, until it gets turned off, color changed, or I leave.  No idea why since so very little else bothers my eyes.

No, I agree that it is a real thing. I put it in quotes because I was annoyed by it. I know I shouldn't be, because people can't help it, but annoyed by it nonetheless. It just seems in my mind, that if a game gave you headaches, people probably shouldn't play them. That would be like me going to Wendy's and demanding they cook their burgers differently just for me, even though most other people like them just as is.

Honestly though, it's understandable. I know a game is not a fast food restaurant. I tried like hell back in those days to get the Devs to make the graphics change an option, so that those of us who loved the graphics and did not get headaches, could continue to enjoy the eye candy. Instead, the Devs killed the graphics for everybody because of a minority who has intense graphics related headaches. It made no sense to me to make the majority lose out on what they had when they should have made it an option in the graphics menu. Everybody could have been happy, instead of the just the minority being happy. But it is what it is...and because of it, I will always miss the old school Ice animations.

Anyway, I do understand that people were getting headaches. Just upsetting everyone who played the game had to lose out on the eye candy when the Devs should have made it an option.

Confusion powers, whether I'm the one using them or if they're being used by a teammate. I never bought into the "confuse lowers xp" mindset, even before seeing research proving quite the opposite (https://web.archive.org/web/20120904083436/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=114280). On my characters who rock their confusion powers, I just know that a mob who isn't attacking me or my friends at the moment is one less threat to worry about!  :D

I love the slow weighty attack animations.  KO Blow's "twisker punch".  Energy Transfer's long build-up.  Thunder Strike's slow leap into the air. (Thunder Strike is my favorite animation in the game, slightly moreso than its dopplegangers Total Focus and Tremor because I like electric attacks more than the other elements)

Masterminds of all kinds, and the noisier the pets are, the better.  In particular, I love to hear the robots clanging up behind me, because then I know they're there, ready to tear through anyone who dares oppose me.

... oh, and villains.  I love playing villains.  (I know I'm not the only one, but I do seem to be in the minority)

And in light of the post that just went up while I was typing this: Yes, confusion powers, too!  I should make a Psi/Mind/Psi Dominator who is all about Confusion...

+1 for Knockback

People wouldn't hate on knock back if people actually knew how to use it. Sadly, the people who just love scattering mobs after the Tank gathered them all up, kill it for the people who use properly. My main is Energy/Energy Blaster, so I get the love of Knock Backs. I just can't stand how some people use it.  :(

Writing bios for all my characters.

MCM

Too true

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I love being a Defender. With all the Brutes, Corruptors, Sentinels and such running around I like to be the unsung hero of the party. I like being able to do my job so well that no one notices that I am doing it, much like a good servant or waiter. I like helping the other heroes exceed their own expectations and listening to the after mission chatter about how easy it was this time.

Writing bios for all my characters.

MCM

"You have 1,023 characters to make sure everyone knows the tone and history of the character you're creating."  This is where legends are born.

(No TinyURL or Pastebin links, though.  That's cheating and nobody's gonna look at 'em anyway.)

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Peacebringers.

I had a human-only, a human/nova and a human/dwarf back-in-the-day, and I loved them all.

I liked the look of their powers, the sound effects, the shape-shifting... and what was, to me, the added fun of picking out the Quant in the next mob and then going all Killer Space-Squid (or Killer Space-Crab... or Very Angry Fuzzball) on them before they could fry me. XD

They never really felt underpowered to me.... But then, I wasn't a serious build engineer/power gamer type, so I probably just didn't go into it EXPECTING them to be All That and an Order of Calamari. They played just fine for what I demanded of them.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice