What's one thing you love in CoH that most others seem to hate?

Confusion powers, whether I'm the one using them or if they're being used by a teammate. I never bought into the "confuse lowers xp" mindset, even before seeing research proving quite the opposite (https://web.archive.org/web/20120904083436/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=114280). On my characters who rock their confusion powers, I just know that a mob who isn't attacking me or my friends at the moment is one less threat to worry about!  :D

On one of my RP characters, she confused Scirocco during an STF. It was hilarious to see him pound on Ghost Widow a couple of times but it also caused the tank to lose agro. They were like "Where the pancake is he going!!?!" and I was like "Ooops...  <.< ". Nearly caused a team wipe when his mind cleared.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Teamwork over the current "herd of cats" philosophy that most "teams" have.

Building a pure Defender (minimal attacks with as much team support as possible). Nothing like joining a team, keeping them buffed, and then hearing "Did you ever attack?". If you want an Offender (anyone else remember that term?) hire a Corruptor.

Teaming with people who don't mind chatting a bit before/after a mission. Even if it's someone giving newer players tips/hints prior to a mission.

Macros! I love it when people have macros/binds for powers so their character says/does something when they activate a power. See a toon on a cellphone, they're either AFK for a RL phone or calling a contact. See one eating a doughnut or drinking coffee, bio break. Once knew a player who was a Fire blaster that always said "Yoga fire" and such when attacking, I LOVED it. They bring RP to the game and add depth to characters.

Had one team kick me after a mission for using a macro that said, in group chat, "Don't worry about me, I just healed $target." when I would use Absorb Pain. Sorry but it's an easy way to keep the other healing types from wasting End trying to heal the un-healable. And when your primary tank was a Fire/Fire Tank who probably should have rolled a Fire/Fire Brute based on the powers in the ID.

Now some teams/players have actually asked me "How do you do that?" so I give them a quick class and point them to the forums/wiki.

There is nothing about this game that I hate.  I loved it when it was live, I pined for it in the 7 years it was gone, and I rejoice now that it is back.  However, I will say that there are certainly aspects of maps, and a few other things that I feel myself dreading, or loathing.  But, I LOVE that I have the privilege of loathing them once again!

What was no more, is REBORN!

omg, DeadDuck..THIS so much! While speedruns are great for others, I LOVE to be on a team that works together with strategies, and takes time to talk and laugh. And macros can add so much in so many ways. (I had a MM with zombie pets that sang the entire YMCA son, complete with emotes. People seemed to really get a kick out of it.)

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

-Actually reading the mission text.  I end up running a lot of solo arcs so I can read what's going on instead of spam clicking through everything since people get impatient.

So much this! I love reading the story arcs. I wish I could read the story when you do TF's if you're not the leader. (I know.. I can go to Paragon Wiki)

I like caves, even the layer cake cave, because it's good practice controlling a flying character.

Stalkers pre-revamp, because you earned your sense of toughness playing them.

Pet clutter in doorways because that's lots of other thing to get shot at that aren't me.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

No, I agree that it is a real thing. I put it in quotes because I was annoyed by it. I know I shouldn't be, because people can't help it, but annoyed by it nonetheless. It just seems in my mind, that if a game gave you headaches, people probably shouldn't play them. That would be like me going to Wendy's and demanding they cook their burgers differently just for me, even though most other people like them just as is.

That's....rather ablist of you. And not even a remotely accurate comparison. It wasn't an "I don't like it" issue. It was an "It's causing me physical pain and illness" issue.

No, I agree that it is a real thing. I put it in quotes because I was annoyed by it. I know I shouldn't be, because people can't help it, but annoyed by it nonetheless. It just seems in my mind, that if a game gave you headaches, people probably shouldn't play them. That would be like me going to Wendy's and demanding they cook their burgers differently just for me, even though most other people like them just as is.

That's....rather ablist of you. And not even a remotely accurate comparison. It wasn't an "I don't like it" issue. It was an "It's causing me physical pain and illness" issue.

Yes, I know...and I acknowledged that it was a bad comparison. Ableist is an awfully strong word. I would say more like a bit selfish...and I know, I have acknowledged that as well. I just can't help be annoyed that something in a game changed because it was hurting people's eyes/heads, when it could have been made an option instead of ruining it for everyone else. I can't help to be annoyed by it, it affected me and many others in a very negative way, even though I know I can't really blame the people who got headaches. It's one of those; I know I shouldn't...but I do anyway.

A better comparison would be; I know this game existed as is before I got here, but despite the fact that many people don't want it changed, I am going to demand they change the graphics just for me....and so they did change it for the few who had this issue, instead of making it an option like they should have.

So yes, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...can't be helped. I'm not blaming the people per-say, I blame the Devs for not taking the time to make it an option.

One of my favorite things to do was farming an outdoor Carnival of Shadows outdoor AV map (the final mission for the story arc, IIRC) at 8 players with my Dark/Dark scrapper because occult salvage was worth so much more than tech salvage.

I never did complete the mission, but toward the end of COH's lifespan, I had a team go in there and people came out weeping and shaking their fists at an uncaring world that would allow a monster like me to farm a map like that.

Regarding sonic, IMO the changes were a distinct improvement, and they didn't give me headaches.

Yes, I know...and I acknowledged that it was a bad comparison. Ableist is an awfully strong word.

It's really not. You're implying that you feel it's selfish of people to ask that a trivial change be made to the game because of a physical limitation that caused them literal pain. That's kinda the very definition of being ablist.

If a graphic in a video game changes your life in a very negative way and has you still upset years later, you need to experience some actual hardship in your life, or get over yourself.

Haha, cute. Never said it affected my life, tough guy. And please, don't presume to think you know what my hardships in life are...those are personal, and for me to live with.

Yes, I know...and I acknowledged that it was a bad comparison. Ableist is an awfully strong word.

It's really not. You're implying that you feel it's selfish of people to ask that a trivial change be made to the game because of a physical limitation that caused them literal pain. That's kinda the very definition of being ablist.

Ableist is the correct spelling of that. The definition of that is discrimination against people who are disabled. I hardly consider a headache a disability...but let's role with that.

I hardly call what I did or said to be discrimination...especially when these headaches that people have is brought on by the graphics of a game, a game they most likely previously knew could potentially give them headaches. And if I am correct in my assumption, a game that they should not have been playing anyway if indeed video games give them headaches. But who am I to judge? I am not here to control them or you, or tell you or them what to do with your lives. These are choices in life that they make and live with. It is not my place to tell them what they can or cannot do, even if such things cause headaches for them. If they want to play a video game that can give them headaches, that's fine by me...what was not fine by me, is that the original Developers of this game, forced a change on EVERYBODY, instead of making this change optional, despite my best efforts to make it optional.

However, me asking for an option instead of a downright change that affected EVERYBODY is NOT discrimination. Me being unhappy about a change that was forced on EVERYBODY is not discrimination. The fact that i miss what I once loved about this game and now it is gone, and me expressing that on these forums, is NOT discrimination. If you feel that it is, then our ideas of what discrimination is are two completely different things.

Now, the fact that I asked (during live) for this graphic change to be optional says two things for certain; A) I loved the graphics as they were and B) Understood where people were coming from, therefore requested this change be optional to accommodate the needs of people who get graphics related headaches.

Hardly the actions of somebody who shows "discrimination" or as you called it, "ableist."

When next you wish to put somebody on the defensive by throwing around a word you can't even spell or even know the definition of, please be sure to first have evidence to prove that somebody is being discriminatory. How I feel about something that once was but no longer is, doesn't define discrimination...it is simply how I feel...an emotion that I cannot control. You know, they just happen. Just like what I said clearly sparked a strong emotion in you, otherwise we would not be having this conversation.

Let's not get offended over an emotion I had, eh? There are enough things in this world to get offended about. This is not one of them. And regardless of how hard you try and label me, you will not be changing how I feel about it. It should have been an option, plain and simple. It did not become an option, so now part of what I loved about this game is gone.

Also, virtually any pain-causing condition can be a disability, and headaches run the gamut from "tension headache you can push through" to "cluster headache for a week or more that keeps you bedridden in the dark because everything else makes the pain worse." Pain that is, I might add, easily classified as an 8-10 on the 10 point scale ERs use to evaluate your pain.

One person I know is on SSDI because of migraines.

Also, virtually any pain-causing condition can be a disability, and headaches run the gamut from "tension headache you can push through" to "cluster headache for a week or more that keeps you bedridden in the dark because everything else makes the pain worse." Pain that is, I might add, easily classified as an 8-10 on the 10 point scale ERs use to evaluate your pain.

One person I know is on SSDI because of migraines.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I honestly can't imagine. I get headaches from time to time, but my headaches are tension related...hardly anything I would be in the hospital for or need disability for. I would say a 3 at best, maybe a 6 or 7 at worst, and for whatever reason, Advil kills them for me...so they only last until I can get a hold of one. Best wishes to your friend.

Sappers, Knives of Artemis and other enemies that makes me have to adjust my strategy.

Powers that makes enemies vomit.

AE arcs with good story but low rewards.

Giving pets "battle orders", i.e. having binds with rotating text in local (not team, broadcast, league etc) when designating a target.