Spooky Season Approaches! Homecoming's Halloween Event 2022!

Cobalt Arachne

• Developer

An autumn's October greetings to all you do-gooders or evil-doers out there!

It's that time of year again! 

...what time you might ask?
 Spooky time! Oh yes! 

🎃 It's almost time for the Homecoming: City of Heroes Halloween Event 2022! 🎃

October 4th - November 1st

Halloween2022_Promotional.thumb.png.620183524995db0eb9a58d254881b6f9.png

I spy some familiar and not-so-familiar faces... 

So, what new things does this year's Halloween event bring? I'm glad you asked!

Each year, the fallen fae of the Unseelie Court attempt to invade our world by opening rifts when the spirit realm and the mortal realm are at their closest during the spooky Halloween season. Fortunately for us, they have been thwarted every year by the valiant efforts of Heroes and Villains who stop these spooky beings in their tracks!

However, this year they've decided they will need to bolster their ranks if their attempts at world scaring are to succeed. The Unseelie Court's Hollow Reapers have devised a method to bring new levels of frightening to our world! These reapers have used their spectral scythes to widen the rifts, allowing even more powerful creatures of the night to invade when somebody is tricked whilst Trick-or-Treating! This can't be good...

What does this mean for our brave Heroes and sinister Villains?

🎃 What's New in Halloween Event 2022? 🎃

New Trick-or-Treating Enemies!

• Five new Elite Boss enemies that can now spawn while Trick-or-Treating above Level 25!
    • Ancient Vampires
    • Spectral Werewolves
    • Arisen Mummies
    • Crone Matriarchs
    • Hollow Reapers

• These spooky new Elite Bosses will reward five-fold experience and influence for each one defeated!
    • Have any alts that still need some levels? Haven't tried out Symphony Control? Want to build a character for Advanced Difficulty modes?
      • This would be a great opportunity to find some time to go Trick-or-Treating!

• Each of these new Elite Boss mobs also count for the older defeat badges. Spectral Werewolves count as both werewolf and ghost defeats.
  • These new mobs spawn at a lower rate than other Trick-or-Treat enemies and were designed to be tough. For the best results, try Trick-or-Treating with a group!

Looking for an efficient Trick-or-Treating spot? Might I recommend the motel near the hospital in Peregrine Island?  👀   

Halloween_Pic1.PNG.396857a8310f8a174818c78a1c38c985.PNG

Ouch! Best be careful, these spooky Elite Bosses are looking for unsuspecting victims to scare! 

New Halloween Event Badges! + Aether Rewards?!

• Five new badges for defeating each of the new Trick-or-Treat Elite Boss types:
    • badge_i27_event_elitevampires.png.7fe65fd66f54f05c70465e09d9803056.pngVampiric Heritage - Defeat 5 Ancient Vampires from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitewerewolves.png.8c1a858718dc80b4802fbbc54d09899f.pngSpectral Anomaly - Defeat 5 Spectral Werewolves from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitezombies.png.8406112e8a28abe9ba2b3e2048280802.pngMummy's Curse - Defeat 5 Arisen Mummies from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitewitches.png.9b7397e09164c52b6dbde39eac7f83ff.pngUnholy Cabal - Defeat 5 Crone Matriarchs from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_eliteunseelie.png.14d928af87ab36fb586f43b418815efb.pngReaper of Souls - Defeat 5 Hollow Reapers from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.

• Not only that! But each of these new badges also rewards 2 Prismatic Aether Particle salvage as a bonus, for a grand total of 10 possible on each character! Wow!

salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png

Ten whole Prismatic Aether Particles that you can earn on every character! 

Costume Goodies!

• Fancy any of those Halloween costumes and wish you could keep them permanently?
    • If you earn all five of this year's new Halloween event badges, you'll have enough Prismatic Aether currency to purchase one permanent Tier 1 Prestige Costume of your choosing from any of the BenevoLabs vendors found at Vault Reserve locations! Nice!

• The Halloween Salvage vendors are also offering a new limited-time Fir Bolg Prestige Costume, which will be available for the entirety of the month of October each year!
    • The Fir Bolg prestige costume costs 10 Prismatic Aether Particles + 50 of each Halloween salvage type.

• All Tier 1 appearances have been added to the Halloween costume temporary power rewards pool, this year should certainly be diverse!
  • The 'Halloween' in the Halloween costume temporary power names has been removed to make them easier to read in the power menu.

Other Adjustments

• The Bored Guy and Bored Gal in the Dr. Kane's House of Horror trial have been given updated looks of their own.
  • Trick-or-Treat Werewolves now throw coffins instead of rocks when using their Hurl power.

🎃 New to Halloween in City of Heroes? Check out the legacy spooky activities! 🎃

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Halloween_Event

Badges, Badges, Badges!

Zone Trick-or-Treating! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Halloween_Event/Trick_or_Treat

• Go to any zone appropriate to your level range, click any mission door, and you'll be surprised with either a Treat reward or a Trick spook!
  • Treats will reward a variety of things:
  • Tricks will spawn Halloween enemies! Worry not, as these enemies can be defeated for badges!

Zone Giant Monster Hunts! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Halloween_Event/Giant_Monsters

• For the duration of the Halloween Event, you can find the giant monsters, Eochai and Jack-in-Irons, randomly throughout standard zones!
  • The pair are worth an exclusive badge for the first time defeating each, but every time they're defeated grants 6 Reward Merits to everyone who participated!
    • After being defeated, a new Eochai or Jack will respawn somewhere in the same zone shortly afterward, so if you search the zone, they can be defeated many times repeatedly for lots of Reward Merits!

Halloween2022_Pic2.PNG.7523a0e1eee33c1d5cbee93f1deac05f.PNG

Eochai is glad to get out of Croatoa for once! 

Zombie Apocalypse Zone Invasions! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Zombie_Apocalypse

• Keep an eye on the Zone Event channels! Frequently during the Halloween Event's runtime, zones will be attacked by a Zombie Apocalypse!
  • During this event, waves of zombies will spawn anywhere there are players and can be defeated for badges and experience!
  • Group up somewhere with a lot of allies and mow down zombies for rewards! Don't stand too close to Police Drones though!

Deadly Apocalypse Zone Events! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Deadly_Apocalypse

• Keep an eye on the Zone Event channels! If a spooky fog and four banners roll in, it's time for a Deadly Apocalypse!
  • In this event, players must coordinate to defeat enemies simultaneously at all four Banner locations marked on the map.
  • As the Banner's defenders are defeated simultaneously at all four locations, the protection on the Banners will gradually weaken. Remember if there aren't people at all four banners fighting, you won't be able to make any progress!
  • Eventually, the Banners will become vulnerable, and players can destroy each one for a total of four badges!
  • Once all four Banners have been destroyed, a Greater Mystic Aspect giant monster will spawn somewhere in the zone! If defeated they will reward players with another badge and choice of a temporary power!

Dr. Kane's House of Horrors Trial! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dr._Kane's_House_of_Horror

• Grab four allies and queue for the Dr. Kane's House of Horrors Trial from the Looking For Group (LFG) tab on your chat window!
    • Face lots of spooky enemies and earn plenty of badges in this short trial that's only available during the Halloween Event!
    • Tip: Prestige costumes also count for the 'Tricked Out' badge criteria!

Atlas Park Zone Makeover! https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Atlas_Park_Seasonal_Changes#Halloween

• During the Halloween Event, Atlas Park will get a spooky makeover! Enjoy the change of scenery while it lasts!

Eternal Night!

• For the last two weeks of the Halloween Event, starting on October 22nd, most zones will be covered by an eternal night!
    • If you're interested in hunting for enemies that only spawn at certain times of the day like the ghosts in Croatoa! This is a great chance to get those badges!

That's everything for Halloween this year!

We hope everyone has a grand & spooky time playing City of Heroes!

🎃 Thanks Homecoming for being such awesome players! 🎃

• Like 13
  • Thanks 12
  • Thumbs Up 7

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

1 hour ago, Abraxus said:

I missed this event so much during the "Blip" years, when CoH was gone.  Still glad to have it back, and see that new things are still being added to it!

Couldn't agree more.  Only way this could ever get better is if actual chocolate bars came out of my PC while trick or treating.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

Don't stand too close to Police Drones though!

I guess someone's heard my spiel one too many times?

Doc, I, and our Torchbearer crew are ready to hit it again this year. ToT league will be open for business come Tuesday, heaven help Mayhem Motel. I had to meet w/ the manager last year.....I'm still on a payment plan for damages, but I just can't help myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

13 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

🎃 What's New in Halloween Event 2022? 🎃

New Trick-or-Treating Enemies!

• Five new Elite Boss enemies that can now spawn while Trick-or-Treating above Level 25!
    • Ancient Vampires
    • Spectral Werewolves
    • Arisen Mummies
    • Crone Matriarchs
    • Hollow Reapers

• These spooky new Elite Bosses will reward five-fold experience and influence for each one defeated!
    • Have any alts that still need some levels? Haven't tried out Symphony Control? Want to build a character for Advanced Difficulty modes?
      • This would be a great opportunity to find some time to go Trick-or-Treating!

• Each of these new Elite Boss mobs also count for the older defeat badges. Spectral Werewolves count as both werewolf and ghost defeats.
  • These new mobs spawn at a lower rate than other Trick-or-Treat enemies and were designed to be tough. For the best results, try Trick-or-Treating with a group!

Looking for an efficient Trick-or-Treating spot? Might I recommend the motel near the hospital in Peregrine Island?  👀   

Halloween_Pic1.PNG.396857a8310f8a174818c78a1c38c985.PNG

Ouch! Best be careful, these spooky Elite Bosses are looking for unsuspecting victims to scare! 

New Halloween Event Badges! + Aether Rewards?!

• Five new badges for defeating each of the new Trick-or-Treat Elite Boss types:
    • badge_i27_event_elitevampires.png.7fe65fd66f54f05c70465e09d9803056.pngVampiric Heritage - Defeat 5 Ancient Vampires from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitewerewolves.png.8c1a858718dc80b4802fbbc54d09899f.pngSpectral Anomaly - Defeat 5 Spectral Werewolves from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitezombies.png.8406112e8a28abe9ba2b3e2048280802.pngMummy's Curse - Defeat 5 Arisen Mummies from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_elitewitches.png.9b7397e09164c52b6dbde39eac7f83ff.pngUnholy Cabal - Defeat 5 Crone Matriarchs from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.
    • badge_i27_event_eliteunseelie.png.14d928af87ab36fb586f43b418815efb.pngReaper of Souls - Defeat 5 Hollow Reapers from the Halloween Event to earn this badge.

• Not only that! But each of these new badges also rewards 2 Prismatic Aether Particle salvage as a bonus, for a grand total of 10 possible on each character! Wow!

salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png    salvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.pngsalvage_PrismaticAetherParticle.png.1867c576aa3257754c87c06cbeb11dc2.png

Ten whole Prismatic Aether Particles that you can earn on every character! 

Total badges in game will now be 1596......... 😞

Edited by Voltor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 alts with all the badges!

Well I'm ready to celebrate!tenor-1858988007.gif.a683b3a7a0c29be2cc7eada7e560cb09.gif

ETA -- who in their right mind would downvote this?!  👻

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 4

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

See you all Tuesday night, on MY ISLAND.  😁

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Can anyone tell me where to find that Fir Bolg costume on the Benevolabs list?  I'm blind, apparently.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

16 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Can anyone tell me where to find that Fir Bolg costume on the Benevolabs list?  I'm blind, apparently.

You get it from Annah for tunring in Halloween Salvage in Croatoa. I assume other Halloween salvage costacts would be the same.

14 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The new EBs have a chance to spawn when the player is above Level 25 and when on a team in any zone where there are clickable doors. 

Can confirm that the Team requirement is not the case!

Getting my tail handed to me about every 10 Tricks from these Instant EBs, completely solo at level 27. I've actually seen more EBs come at me than regular bosses (5:2 so far).

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Blackgold said:

You get it from Annah for tunring in Halloween Salvage in Croatoa. I assume other Halloween salvage costacts would be the same.

Ooooh, I misunderstood and thought they were like the other costume purchases, from the Vault holograms (you know, like all the other ones).  Thanks!

• Like 1