Journalism is crap

Snarky

Modern journalism is circling the drain.  Whatever happened to reporters like Olivia Starr?

I just read a short article with the attention grabbing title "‘Star Wars’ fans left spooked as they realize a memorable Han Solo line didn’t actually happen"

It was short, 5 paragraphs.  NEVER mentioned the line.  Makes you want to beat somebody to death with an Olympia.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If I were as amazed, baffled, bewildered, stunned, or shocked as much as news article said I would be I'd probably be some kind of idiot.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 minutes ago, Luminara said:

First article you've read since 1882, I see.

I read that modern journalism really took off due to....Jack the Ripper!   For the first time in history a good percentage of the populace could read (Victorian era Londoners) and they could not get enough stories about Jack.  So the little broadsheets became very popular, along with their ads.  Tabloid journalism launched it all.  

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I read that modern journalism really took off due to....Jack the Ripper!   For the first time in history a good percentage of the populace could read (Victorian era Londoners) and they could not get enough stories about Jack.  So the little broadsheets became very popular, along with their ads.  Tabloid journalism launched it all.  

probably also caused severe shortages for fish and chip shops and animal rescue societies.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Lines said:

I wrote a reply to this thread. What happened next will shock you!

Read more

I used to work in the team running the social accounts for one of the big news orgs. The accuracy of this stings.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

There's journalism, which isn't much practiced these days because it's not cheap and doesn't generate huge profits, and then there's clickbaiting, which both sounds like some other kind of "baiting" and rightly so, and is the equivalent of internet farming.

Don't mistake the one for the other.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Astrophysics articles are the worst.  The headline is always some click-bait hyperbole:  SCIENTISTS STRUGGLE TO EXPLAIN STRANGE, ALIEN, SIGNAL!

*Me, rushing to click excitedly on article*  

Oh, yeah... it's another gamma-ray burst from a pulsar.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cancrusher said:

Astrophysics articles are the worst.

Click bait popular science stories are especially painful. I guess it's the combination of being hopeful/excited about new discoveries and the naive assumption that stories based on empirical research (particularly physics) would be somehow less prone to being utter bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the late 90s I took a two-year journalism course in community college. One of the first things the instructor told us is that it was a dying field and we would have a very tough time pursuing a career in it. I was thinking "What a great time to tell us! Not like that would have been useful to know before we committed to this!"

• Thumbs Up 1

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

So, as a Liberal Arts graduate (talk about a dearth of job opportunities!) I learned something fairly quickly after graduation.

A degree in journalism doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a reporter or copy editor.  But, the skillset of research and objective writing is incredibly invaluable in jobs where you need to communicate between teams of people. 

One of my jobs with The Telco was a technical instructor.  What this entailed was, reading the documentation from the teams developing new stuff (be it DSL Internet or video streaming applications) and not only understanding as much nuance as I could, but also distilling all of that down into simple, demonstrable concepts that I could teach to a class.  It required a 'bridge' from understanding something highly technical to communicating that same thing in layman's terms.

The same can be said for journalism - not only do you have the skills to gather as much information about a topic at hand as you can, exploring it from multiple sources and angles, but also presenting it in a way that A Random Stranger could read it, and understand from what you had written, what the issue is.  That's a skill that isn't limited to selling newspapers or driving clicks to a website.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!