Devs, please explain why you are nerfing one of the most popular activities on Homecoming

dms

On 10/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, Luminara said:

Dt6R-BrU4AA7kYp.jpg.6447963f2554f77deea773fc36329f51.jpg

Oh so you're saying I'm paranoid huh?  Well that just confirms all of my suspicions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, Luminara said:

What they said

to move forward you have to look at the past.

one thing some people may have liked is what you are building against

was this endeavor to bring back the city as it was?

It seems the current DEV team even in what it thinks is BEST for the community is actually worse?

IS the DEV team every Giant Monster and against the Heroes and even making the villains of the game seem like sheep?

what an odd angle to attack those you are trying to serve

• Confused 6

55 minutes ago, noteuro said:

to move forward you have to look at the past.

one thing some people may have liked is what you are building against

was this endeavor to bring back the city as it was?

It seems the current DEV team even in what it thinks is BEST for the community is actually worse?

IS the DEV team every Giant Monster and against the Heroes and even making the villains of the game seem like sheep?

what an odd angle to attack those you are trying to serve

are-you-okay-85o129.jpg.650e4bd395936cb1dd001604eb2f3689.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

Having read through the 11 pages on this topic i feel that you should either play the game or dont.  Simplistic, i know, but rural cottage industries dont cut the cheese when the vicar is in the village square.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Harl said:

rural cottage industries dont cut the cheese when the vicar is in the village square

I have read this construct over a few times.  It appears there is a relationship between rural industry, religious figures, civic centers, and dairy products that I am just missing.  So....

Cheese fire in Norway tunnel burns for 5 days....

See the source image

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I have read this construct over a few times. 

Whatever it means, I'd rather read 2517 pages of similarly incomprehensible aphorisms than the preceding 10 pages of this thread, so ... 🤷‍♂️ ... bring on more of the same I guess?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

Whatever it means, I'd rather read 2517 pages of similarly incomprehensible aphorisms than the preceding 10 pages of this thread, so ... 🤷‍♂️ ... bring on more of the same I guess?

Just convince the other tuna before he who knows and who goes further. You can give this soup, man. Enhance the constant. All the bear colors use machine ground. We get to soothe up so we can get the soup.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every MMO I’ve played has had a population that seeks to find the path of least resistance (or the fastest/easiest path to victory). It never changes. That’s what some people enjoy; that’s their preferred playstyle. I would characterize it as pitting themselves and their native wit against the developers’ carefully constructed systems. Whether this is victory in PVP or fast leveling or gaining quick cash, it’s looking for ways to excel by the terms of the game. And in every MMO I’ve played, this inevitably turns into “the devs are trying to destroy us!” when the terms of the game change. (If this is indeed your mindset — an adversarial us-versus-the-devs 'we must defeat the system' mentality — I am not surprised you take changes personally. But I respectfully submit that that mentality that is your problem.)

You see this in nature. When there is a source of food, something comes along to consume it. The population which prefers that excess of food now booms. Then the food source goes away and that population falls away, or moves somewhere else, leaving ripples in the other populations as it goes. Whether you characterize this in a positive light (eg, beautiful hummingbirds coming to your lovely tended garden of wildflowers) or in a negative light (eg, swarms of locusts stripping bare what was once fertile farmland) is all in your own personal perception.

I keep saying that some day, someone will release a game that lets all players feel amazingly powerful, and we would be able to empirically determine if such a game would be welcomed and embraced and successful, or whether it would be stale and dull and unchallenging. It would probably not be viewed equally by everyone. Farmers may dislike it because there's no way (or no need) to gain an edge; other players may not like it because it contains no danger. Or it might be wildly successful among all groups. Who knows?

Meanwhile, if you’re a farmer, embrace the cyclic nature of your changing ecosystem. If you’re against farming, accept that the boom-bust cycle of advantage-seeking isn’t going anywhere.

Edited by MHertz
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

image.png.a93c7f80971263e816553f88c798adc0.png

• Haha 20
  • Thumbs Down 1

Lead of the <New Praetorians Initiative> supergroup.  Goldside enjoyer.  Perennial RP-etiquette overthinker.

Most of my writing is SG-internal, but the following are SFMA that anybody should be able to play if you want new story-based content.

• NPI: Duray, Duray | 25575: - The New Praetorians scramble to stop the Praetorian and Primal Virgil Durays from getting the band back together.
  • NPI: Brickstown Vice | 36729, 40648, 40803 - The New Praetorians aid Marauder in a drug bust that dredges up his past.  Branches into two paths.
  • NPI: Red Resistance | 43796 - The New Praetorians run afoul of vigilantes after a robbery gone wrong.  Crossover with <Hero Corps Founders Falls>.
  • NPI: Leucochloridium | 44863: - A wellness check on a Woodvale cleanup officer turns over unfinished, Praetorian business.
  • How Emperor Cole Saved Christmas | 45794 - A 100% authentic simulation of how Emperor Cole singlehandedly saved the holiday of Christmas!
  • Bassilisk | 51947 - Several Paragon City villain groups fight over the Rikti's dumbest entirely-canonical doomsday weapon.
  • A Freakshow Love Story | 54544 - Ganymede the cherub calls upon heroes to break up a toxic romance that's going to have explosive fallout!

On 10/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Neiska said:

However, at this point it is starting to feel there is so little meat of CoH left its nothing but bones, that HC is then using for their own vision, and its one I find myself enjoying less and less. Moreover, it makes me wonder just how truly popular a certain activity really was, if they have to effectively bribe players into doing it.

I understand your perception. At least, I think I do. 

I am wondering if what might be going on is how the increasing age of a number of players may have something to do with this. I dunno. I might be totally off. 

I wonder if I'm just getting more bored because I'm no longer a teenager. When I was a teen, I loved comic books. But if you told me I had to read my favorite comics now, I'm sure I'd be very easily distracted. 

I got on a character and took it for ToT, for the prismatics and for the badges. When doing it solo, there was a bit more interest on my part, but the efficiency is definitely with a league. But, in the league, it was dull. I'd see "Trick"...and they always seemed to come out of different doors. Seemed like a number of folks had the afk bubble over their character's head. 

I just wonder if maybe it's not so much the changes that are bothering me, but the idea that I'm just not into the game as much as I was when I was younger. I dunno. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Perfidy said:

I am wondering if what might be going on is how the increasing age of a number of players may have something to do with this. I dunno. I might be totally off. 

I wonder if I'm just getting more bored because I'm no longer a teenager.

*sigh*  Older players were in the game back then.  And we're still here.

Demanding the "easy way" has nothing to do with age.

• Thanks 3

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 10/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, MHertz said:

(If this is indeed your mindset — an adversarial us-versus-the-devs 'we must defeat the system' mentality — I am not surprised you take changes personally. But I respectfully submit that that mentality that is your problem.)

Ok Mr Smith.

We will take our blue pill and stay in line thanks for your great advice.

I agree with your analogy about the food. Thats exactly how fire farmers were treated isn't it?

• Thumbs Down 3

53 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

Ok Mr Smith.

We will take our blue pill and stay in line thanks for your great advice.

I agree with your analogy about the food. Thats exactly how fire farmers were treated isn't it?

You misunderstand. I couldn’t care less that farms exist and I don’t think anyone else needs to get in a twist about it either. People will always seek to maximize advantage; devs will always fix bugs. That’s how it goes.

• Like 3

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

1 hour ago, MHertz said:

You misunderstand. I couldn’t care less that farms exist and I don’t think anyone else needs to get in a twist about it either. People will always seek to maximize advantage; devs will always fix bugs. That’s how it goes.

Feigned apathy is never a good look after Labor Day....

• Thumbs Down 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, Shadeknight said:

I don't know if we would have gotten Seismic Blast, Electric Affinity (I am getting the name wrong), or the ASF from Paragon Studios. I have my doubts on it at least.

I think ASF is categorically better than any TF/SF from live and I even tweeted at Matt Miller what a great time it was, from the gameplay to the storytelling.

He was so ashamed that the old live team couldn't produce something as good that he never even responded to my first, second or next fourteen tweets after that.

The silence is damning.

• Haha 14

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I can speak for Vampires.  Not vampyr, those things are test tube rodents.  Vampires…. Do not give a shit.  

Ok but what about Pamvires?

3 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I think ASF is categorically better than any TF/SF from live and I even tweeted at Matt Miller what a great time it was, from the gameplay to the storytelling.

He was so ashamed that the old live team couldn't produce something as good that he never even responded to my first, second or next fourteen tweets after that.

The silence is damning.

Have you considered that he's become a skeleton and therefore, can not legally use twitter due to twitters dogmatic bias against the mortality impaired?

• Haha 2

Resident certified baby

2 minutes ago, Redletter said:

Have you considered that he's become a skeleton and therefore, can not legally use twitter due to twitters dogmatic bias against the mortality impaired?

I haven't cause he still posts.

Though at the rate of his postings I think Zombies have more active engagement.

• Haha 1