Devs, please explain why you are nerfing one of the most popular activities on Homecoming

dms

I don't know why people in this game have such an entitled, paranoid siege mentality. Every little change and balance tweak is perceived as an assault on their way of life, as though they were persecuted minorities living under an authoritarian government. God forbid you make a few million less per hour from your AFK farm! If a dev really wanted to make your life miserable, there would be only one AE building in the game, in RV... and there will be no drones guarding the doors.

Homecoming team is not anti-farming, nor anti-anything, for that matter. The biggest buffs to AE farming are still implemented in the game: allowing non-Dev's choice AE arcs to drop normal loot and grant incarnate xp. Any adjustments downward pale in significance to these absolutely massive buffs that make AE farming far more powerful on HC than it ever was on live. So until you can explain why this remains the case, put your toys back in your pram. My rad/fire still rakes in the billions.

(The only remotely iffy change I've seen is moving AE buildings out of the starter zones - I find the implied "new players should be directed to the rest of the game, while vets can be allowed to farm" a troubling double standard. What's good for one is good for all. Besides, vets should know how to fend for themselves; new players are the ones who need to be introduced to powerleveling and moneymaking opportunities.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zect said:

(The only remotely iffy change I've seen is moving AE buildings out of the starter zones - I find the implied "new players should be directed to the rest of the game, while vets can be allowed to farm" a troubling double standard. What's good for one is good for all. Besides, vets should know how to fend for themselves; new players are the ones who need to be introduced to powerleveling and moneymaking opportunities.)

Wanting new players to have at least figured out how to zone before they farm was only part of the reason for the removal, though.  AE was also seriously lagging Atlas, and causing problems for players who wanted to do things other than AE farm there.

And...does anyone really 'need' powerlevelling and inf-farming to be their introduction to the game?  It's not like the rest of the game is somehow broken and unplayable without using AE farming.  Normal play still works fine for getting a character to 50.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

But it precludes any AH transactions due to it's premise.  You cannot trade the Wetware Enhancer you found on a dead Freak for ANY Inf that the populace has bestowed on Johnny Awesome, no matter how much Johnny Awesome wants to make the deal with you.

Actually, no; Johnny Awesome is trading off some of his reputation, in that he's going to someone else for assistance -- needing the Wetware Enhancer -- and you're increasing your reputation for supplying it to him. It does destroy the anonymity of the AH somewhat for the exchange to work, but it's essentially the same thing as 'cashing in' on your reputation when you bought enhancements from a store.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Wanting new players to have at least figured out how to zone before they farm was only part of the reason for the removal, though.  AE was also seriously lagging Atlas, and causing problems for players who wanted to do things other than AE farm there.

And...does anyone really 'need' powerlevelling and inf-farming to be their introduction to the game?  It's not like the rest of the game is somehow broken and unplayable without using AE farming.  Normal play still works fine for getting a character to 50.

Makes pocket D more popular. To me the D has fond memories.  No, not of furries and cat gurlz.  I play on Excelsior to stay away from the bulk of that.  I remember on live getting the good vs evil edition of CoX. This came with a city map, and a credit card sized “Pocket D VIP pass”. Which also had an in game power to get to the Tiki room in Pocket D.  I played Redside (shocker) and tgat was my ghetto travel power when you has to build for Stamina and take a first pick to open travel power as second pick.  On my Brutes that meant 30s before fly kicked in.  So welcome to the D!   Now kindly step away from my table.  I am a VIP!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zect said:

I don't know why people in this game have such an entitled, paranoid siege mentality. Every little change and balance tweak is perceived as an assault on their way of life, as though they were persecuted minorities living under an authoritarian government. God forbid you make a few million less per hour from your AFK farm! If a dev really wanted to make your life miserable, there would be only one AE building in the game, in RV... and there will be no drones guarding the doors.

There are a bunch of entitled mentalities in this community. Farmers, sure. Hang out in the suggestions forum and watch people freak out over proposals for minor changes that they think will destroy everything . There's also a nostalgic, reactionary bunch that things should be nerfed or rolled back to their preferred era of gaming. Probably the biggest shitfest in the history of the game came when the devs put badges in the pvp zones and badgers did not want to have to pvp to get them.

Everyone has an interest that they pursue . Disruptions to that interest can be really aggravating and it gets amplified by the mockery of the forums. The alpha predator of this social dynamic is the disinterested nonplayer. "City of Heroes got shut down again and I can't play anymore!" "Oh, does that mean you'll go outside more and actually get some exercise?"

1 minute ago, battlewraith said:

Probably the biggest shitfest in the history of the game came when the devs put badges in the pvp zones and badgers did not want to have to pvp to get them.

i still vehemently disagree with this decision.  PvE and PvP should be completely separate.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

PvE and PvP should be completely separate.

So that means that pvpers can't have badges related to pvp? 

I didn't bring this up to relitigate the whole farce. The point was just to show an example of entitlement. The devs at that time made a decision regarding incentives. There was a large subcommunity of players that were outraged by this and kept arguing that they were entitled to these incentives without having to actually earn them through pvp.

26 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

So that means that pvpers can't have badges related to pvp? 

I didn't bring this up to relitigate the whole farce. The point was just to show an example of entitlement. The devs at that time made a decision regarding incentives. There was a large subcommunity of players that were outraged by this and kept arguing that they were entitled to these incentives without having to actually earn them through pvp.

Oh, you can give PvPers badges, hats with rotating propellers, whatever.  Then insulate that from PvE by not having it display in PvE zones to anyone looking.  

In case you missed the sub text, I HATE online PvP.  You want to PvP me?  Let's grab a chessboard.  Put away the phone comp.  Let's PvP.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

You want to PvP me?  Let's grab a chessboard.  Put away the phone comp.  Let's PvP.

No thanks. I'm still waiting for Chess 2. The Queen is OP and needs to be nerfed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

2 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

200 (1).gif

One of the best practical vfx ever.

And if your avatar was just a little slower, it'd look like you were exploding his head. 😆

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

One of the best practical vfx ever.

And if your avatar was just a little slower, it'd look like you were exploding his head. 😆

Maybe I am. Maybe it's the Voodoo Dance of Head Asplodery. I will never reveal my secrets.

• Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

11 hours ago, battlewraith said:

There are a bunch of entitled mentalities in this community. Farmers, sure. Hang out in the suggestions forum and watch people freak out over proposals for minor changes that they think will destroy everything . There's also a nostalgic, reactionary bunch that things should be nerfed or rolled back to their preferred era of gaming. Probably the biggest shitfest in the history of the game came when the devs put badges in the pvp zones and badgers did not want to have to pvp to get them.

That's not my recollection.  Maybe there were some vocal complainers, but my impression was that most badgers didn't care because the PvP badges weren't as stupidly grindy as, for example, the healing and damage taken badges.  I had all the PvP badges back on live and I have them all on Homecoming.

Also, while the PvP zones weren't the ghost towns that they are today, they were NEVER busy zones.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

That's not my recollection.  Maybe there were some vocal complainers, but my impression was that most badgers didn't care because the PvP badges weren't as stupidly grindy as, for example, the healing and damage taken badges.  I had all the PvP badges back on live and I have them all on Homecoming.

Also, while the PvP zones weren't the ghost towns that they are today, they were NEVER busy zones.

That's different than my recollection on all counts. Some of the zones were pretty steadily active, if not outright busy, and it doesn't take many lone wolf types or even small groups of pvpers to stop people from getting badges. They also had that outbreak guy spawning in RV so that people could get that badge, which was a major fiasco that got badgers pissed. Trying to promote pvp and organize events I often had to deal with pissed off badgers chiming in.

11 hours ago, battlewraith said:

That's different than my recollection on all counts. Some of the zones were pretty steadily active, if not outright busy, and it doesn't take many lone wolf types or even small groups of pvpers to stop people from getting badges. They also had that outbreak guy spawning in RV so that people could get that badge, which was a major fiasco that got badgers pissed. Trying to promote pvp and organize events I often had to deal with pissed off badgers chiming in.

image.thumb.png.143f0f8890d4e826192ed4cbec81397a.png

Edited by Tachstar
update!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2022 at 10:50 PM, DougGraves said:

While I find AE farming to be dumb, I don't find it any more dumb than playing at levels above above 32 when the game is trivially easy anyway.  Especially PI radio teams that only choose Council missions.

I don't see removing AE farming making the game any better.  The way to make the game better is to remove IOs and the alpha power things level 50's get.

But ultimately driving away a huge chunk of the players is just going to make the game go away faster.

I'd rather have half of a good game than none of a great game.

I mean that is very subjective.

I don't mind easy content and like making ridiculous toons.  Couldn't get much better for me.

Which, the point is that not everyone wants what X person wants.  Some people want harder.  Some people don't.

I've loved the changes I've seen... and yes, I have a Fire/Rad, who seems to work just about the same as they did before.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2022 at 6:23 AM, Tachstar said:

image.thumb.png.143f0f8890d4e826192ed4cbec81397a.png

You Win The Internets Today.

(for the youngsters in the room, here's the original meme ref.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

And here I thought complaining was the most popular activity on Homecoming. Are they nerfing complaining now? My God, won’t somebody think of the Stalkers? What will they do? And the Sentinels!

Devs, don’t nerf complaining!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

No wait... This is a good idea... You could bypass censorship. "We didn't censor your post, we nerfed it. You TRIED to use a personal insult while insults are on cool down, what did you think would happen? That's why you posted an image of a happy unicorn instead..."

I can't complain about the devs even if i don't like something.  They don't get paid but give us new content.  That is very nice of them ❤️ 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

No wait... This is a good idea... You could bypass censorship. "We didn't censor your post, we nerfed it. You TRIED to use a personal insult while insults are on cool down, what did you think would happen? That's why you posted an image of a happy unicorn instead..."

tinyvulgarunicorn.jpg

Edited by lemming
I don't feel this way, but Vulgar Unicorn does
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1