Devs, please explain why you are nerfing one of the most popular activities on Homecoming

dms

• City Council
18 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

So anyway, there I was with my pants down...

Please keep your pants on; I have enough problems when you're wearing them that the scale of the difficulties here without your pants would be too horrible to contemplate.

• Haha 11
  • Thumbs Up 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

4 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

So anyway, there I was with my pants down...

Reminds me of my college days many moon ago (see what I did there) when a group of us would walk into any room and one of us would proclaim "and THAT was the third time I had crabs".  

Always an entrance worthy of talk.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

It should be reiterated again that they cannot simply not do a power change just because it affects farming. Any change to any set in the game (barring a couple) will affect the AE. It cannot be unavoided simply because fire farmers exist. I believe the only power sets exempt at this point are the Epic ATs and the new powersets introduced by Homecoming?

Your posts are preety cool.

I don't want to argue with you I really don't. Nothing about you makes me want to reply in a negative or hostile way.

I get your point that changes in things will "affect" AE I guess

And I was going to explain to you why it is entirely possible to simply not tamper with those certain mechanics.

Let me try to explain why I personally right now am so into this topic....

Part of why I play on HC is because it seemed to remain very true to what Live was.

The recent updates just gave me the feeling that it moved slightly away from Live and in the wrong direction in my opinion but not entirely in the wrong direction.

Firstly, and very notably was the removal of the AE building in the presence of Atlas. 

Then the removal of the buff in AE.

And then the tampering of the mechanics.

Now let me explain why the removal of the building and addition of the new building is such a really big deal.

That thing isn't just a new building. It's a central hub where almost all TF's can be initiated from.

It has everything a SG base can have that is useful.

So that one building will override the entire game. IT is the most OP building I've ever seen.

I see the vision there. I would just be careful how far away from Live we stride.

And I realize that maybe my posts just sound like nagging to some of you at this point.

10 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

Part of why I play on HC is because it seemed to remain very true to what Live was.

The recent updates just gave me the feeling that it moved slightly away from Live and in the wrong direction in my opinion but not entirely in the wrong direction.

I can't blame you there, but HC operates more on the idea of sticking to what might fit the game but in their own way. I don't know if we would have gotten Seismic Blast, Electric Affinity (I am getting the name wrong), or the ASF from Paragon Studios. I have my doubts on it at least.

12 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

I would just be careful how far away from Live we stride.

Well, no server is going to stick to what Live was. Live was becoming a subscription/money focused F2P game hellhole and let's be real that it was only going to get worse. Hell, things were probably going to get worse in general. I like to believe that what HC is doing is a good vision. A vision that not everyone agrees with, and that's entirely fine.

• Like 4

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

1 hour ago, Starforge said:

Man, wait until you see the revamped Freedom Corp HQ that the building interior is supposed to get at a later date.

I can see the vision there. 

I personally will always rather be in the field.

But I could see myself enjoying the FCB.

Don't get me wrong I can see how cool it is.

And with one quick swoop through I also came to the conclusion that it should be way more streamline to be what it is trying to be. So it doesn't surprise me that they will revamp it.

Edited by Sneakers

22 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

Your posts are preety cool.

I don't want to argue with you I really don't. Nothing about you makes me want to reply in a negative or hostile way.

I get your point that changes in things will "affect" AE I guess

And I was going to explain to you why it is entirely possible to simply not tamper with those certain mechanics.

Let me try to explain why I personally right now am so into this topic....

Firstly, and very notably was the removal of the AE building in the presence of Atlas. 

Then the removal of the buff in AE.

And then the tampering of the mechanics.

Now let me explain why the removal of the building and addition of the new building is such a really big deal.

That thing isn't just a new building. It's a central hub where almost all TF's can be initiated from.

It has everything a SG base can have that is useful.

So that one building will override the entire game. IT is the most OP building I've ever seen.

I see the vision there. I would just be careful how far away from Live we stride.

And I realize that maybe my posts just sound like nagging to some of you at this point.

Well, if the 'removal of the buff in AE' you're talking about here is the changes to double XP boosters, that was a bug fix

Moving the AE out of Atlas really doesn't do anything besides make you hop over to Kings Row or Pocket D. This would be a huge deal if we were still playing, I dunno, EverQuest, and crossing over from one zone to another was a prospectively hours-long journey full of death, dismemberment and getting disconnected because your sibling decided to call their best friend without saying anything to you (again) and you're on dialup, but fortunately this is 2022 and you can just shuffle over there in a minute or two if you're being lazy about it. As an added bonus, you won't accidentally skip leg day

Homecoming moves away from how the live game was with every new update, but that isn't a bad thing. Short of leaving the client in a completely stagnant state devoid of any updates or alterations, change wasn't just an inevitability, it's integral to keeping the playerbase interested, engaged and coming back to play

Literally every successful private server for any other MMO has made alterations either in the interest of QOL and general improvements or because the developers have a different vision than the live team did. Private servers that leave years- or decades-old games completely untouched either fail and die off, or they're still around and their populations serve as a reminder that change is as important here on Homecoming as it is with any live MMO - no matter how good the original game WAS, no one is going to stick around to play the same old content on the same old classes with the same old abilities forever

But the takeaway here should be that nearly two decades after the game came out, almost a decade after - as far as we knew at the time - it was seemingly gone for good, we now have a fully-functional, completely free version of City of Heroes to play; to share with those who missed this game, and with those who never got to experience the game in the first place. We have City of Heroes back. And that's something we very well could've never had back to begin with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RunoKnows said:

Well, if the 'removal of the buff in AE' you're talking about here is the changes to double XP boosters, that was a bug fix

Moving the AE out of Atlas really doesn't do anything besides make you hop over to Kings Row or Pocket D. This would be a huge deal if we were still playing, I dunno, EverQuest, and crossing over from one zone to another was a prospectively hours-long journey full of death, dismemberment and getting disconnected because your sibling decided to call their best friend without saying anything to you (again) and you're on dialup, but fortunately this is 2022 and you can just shuffle over there in a minute or two if you're being lazy about it. As an added bonus, you won't accidentally skip leg day

Homecoming moves away from how the live game was with every new update, but that isn't a bad thing. Short of leaving the client in a completely stagnant state devoid of any updates or alterations, change wasn't just an inevitability, it's integral to keeping the playerbase interested, engaged and coming back to play

Literally every successful private server for any other MMO has made alterations either in the interest of QOL and general improvements or because the developers have a different vision than the live team did. Private servers that leave years- or decades-old games completely untouched either fail and die off, or they're still around and their populations serve as a reminder that change is as important here on Homecoming as it is with any live MMO - no matter how good the original game WAS, no one is going to stick around to play the same old content on the same old classes with the same old abilities forever

But the takeaway here should be that nearly two decades after the game came out, almost a decade after - as far as we knew at the time - it was seemingly gone for good, we now have a fully-functional, completely free version of City of Heroes to play; to share with those who missed this game, and with those who never got to experience the game in the first place. We have City of Heroes back. And that's something we very well could've never had back to begin with.

Thanks for telling me a lot of neat things that I already knew.

I also played Everquest at launch and watch it change over the years. I was a druid and I healed hundreds of EQ'ers

I've played almost every mmorpg in fact up until around 12 years ago.

39 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

I can't blame you there, but HC operates more on the idea of sticking to what might fit the game but in their own way. I don't know if we would have gotten Seismic Blast, Electric Affinity (I am getting the name wrong), or the ASF from Paragon Studios. I have my doubts on it at least.

Well, no server is going to stick to what Live was. Live was becoming a subscription/money focused F2P game hellhole and let's be real that it was only going to get worse. Hell, things were probably going to get worse in general. I like to believe that what HC is doing is a good vision. A vision that not everyone agrees with, and that's entirely fine.

I'm all for the addition of new content. But not at all for the removing of parts which were long standing.

No server is going to stick to what Live was.

But my point remains the same part of the reason why I personally am enjoying HC is because it seems to be more akin to Live than others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerroirNoir said:

That already existed in Trident Base though (with the addition of the ASF) except everyone kept forgetting it was there.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I didn't even realize that the FCB is really fort trident.

I never even used fort trident that much even though it's in the fast travel menu I had visited it once along while ago and forgot about it just as you described.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Sneakers said:

Well, they all have different functions but that one is like everything crammed into one. 

Oh for sure, so that would be like an S tier building, right? How would City Hall stack up to that? A tier maybe?

• Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Oh for sure, so that would be like an S tier building, right? How would City Hall stack up to that? A tier maybe?

Well it just seemed to me that was the goal of whoever built it. 

They put almost as much of the main content they could in fort trident plus all the vendors and crafting tables and trims.

It is neat. 

And I think when passing through it. It seems busier and fuller than other buildings.