Who took my name???

Ad Delirium

If you didn’t look for something like “Ultraviolent” on the first day, I suspect it was got.

The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

“If he can only perform good or only perform evil, then he is a clockwork orange—meaning that he has the appearance of an organism lovely with colour and juice but is in fact only a clockwork toy to be wound up by God or the Devil.”

~ For those who always wondered where the title came from

• Thumbs Up 1

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

That is the one thing that Champions Online did better - Cryptic really did learn the right lesson from the complaints about character naming in CoX.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

That is the one thing that Champions Online did better - Cryptic really did learn the right lesson from the complaints about character naming in CoX.

Debatable (in that it really has been debated here) - https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3740.0.html

• Thumbs Up 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

-The ORIGINAL UltraViolent

You can do a "/getglobalname <character name>" to find out.

That being said, I couldn't get my signature name on Torchbearer due to someone snagging the name before I could get on, so I can definitely understand your feelings.

Pretty much every single obvious name I could think of has been taken. It might be a smaller player base, but obvious names are still going to be taken sooner rather than later. Note there was a good number of people playing this before it went public. I would have hammered out any and every name I could think of if I was there early on.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Note there was a good number of people playing this before it went public. I would have hammered out any and every name I could think of if I was there early on.
I got Witchfire, Malfeasance, Roughtrade and Psychic on the server I wanted, and I came to the game a week and a half late.  I am really glad the early players were not jerks who would hammer out any and every name they could think of early on. 

That being said, I couldn't get my signature name on Torchbearer due to someone snagging the name before I could get on, so I can definitely understand your feelings.

Sorry to hear about that Snow Globe.

I know that a friend from the old days had the same issue and messaged the current owner of a name and managed to get it back. So worth a try, never know unless you ask. :)

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Pretty much every single obvious name I could think of has been taken. It might be a smaller player base, but obvious names are still going to be taken sooner rather than later. Note there was a good number of people playing this before it went public. I would have hammered out any and every name I could think of if I was there early on.

I'm pretty sure Torchbearer and all other Homecoming servers were spun up fresh and new with no established 'private' playerbase.

I had no problems getting my first choice names when the game was live... even a year or so into release.

Here, with an arguably lower population, I've gotten only a few, and that's going 2 and 3 choices deep.

Now maybe I could switch servers to try and get them... but I don't have any friends playing who would say Hey, I know that name... were you the X class from Champion in Y SG? LOL.

But anyway, I was stunned at how many names I didn't get.

Eh. I disagree. That's one of the things I hated about CO, was seeing like 10 different characters with the same name running around, and that it would take your @global onto the end of EVERYTHING you did.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Torchbearer and all other Homecoming servers were spun up fresh and new with no established 'private' playerbase.

Well considering the initial "they're coming to get me" server wipe pre-

surprise we exist!", yeah, HC is brand new alt wise.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Yeah, you have to be quick to get obvious names in any game, but I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get both of mine without issue on the server that I wanted.

Randomly, somebody else had already taken Pink Champagne on one of the servers (which isn't a massively common name, I think?) so I just hopped on to another and made him there.  ;D

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

Snow Globe! Lovely to see another old face from Live! :D

MCM

I had no problems getting my first choice names when the game was live... even a year or so into release.

Here, with an arguably lower population, I've gotten only a few, and that's going 2 and 3 choices deep.

Now maybe I could switch servers to try and get them... but I don't have any friends playing who would say Hey, I know that name... were you the X class from Champion in Y SG? LOL.

But anyway, I was stunned at how many names I didn't get.

You had limited slots on live, there are 1000 slots here - people are spinning up alts left, right and centre...

Venture's last post covers it.
Venture's last post is as useless.

There is a supposition that many people are "spinning up alts left, right and centre..."

There is a theory that the GMs and original players "hammered out any and every name I could think"

But there is no proof of either.  If there was actual data that name camping was this serious of an issue, then show it.  Otherwise all you are doing is whining that the name you wanted wasn't available.

People might be making more Alts.  Maybe.  Some returning players are maybe trying out an AT they never tried before, after remaking their old favorite.  Some players have never been on CoH before and may be trying out all the ATs before finding one they like.  Maybe.  Might be.  It sounds reasonable that it could be happening.

But there is no proof.  Certainly no proof that people are hoarding names or making up unreasonable amounts of Alts just to prevent others from using a name.  If they are playing the characters, then that's how the game is played.

• Like 1

We should have some kind of Name Policy to keep people from keeping names they aren't using...

Oh wait...

Name Release Policy

With 1000 character slots per shard, we expected you to make a lot of characters, but we’ve been blown away by quite how many… To date, you’ve made a total of 399,501 characters across 64,519 accounts. In fact, one of you has made a total of 277 characters!

Now, some of you have voiced concerns that many names are simply being sat on by level 1 characters that’ll never be played again. This is a fair concern, so we are implementing a system that will allow names of unused characters to be released back into circulation for use by new characters.

Characters will be flagged as ‘inactive’ when the following time thresholds are met:

• Level 1-5 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 30 days
  • Level 6-20 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 90 days
  • Level 21-49 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 365 days
  • Level 50 characters will never be flagged as inactive

When a character is flagged as inactive they are not immediately renamed. Instead, their name is simply no longer locked. This allows another player to create a character with that name, at which point the original character will be renamed.

You can remove the inactive flag on a character at any time simply by logging them in.

We will not be activating this policy for at least a two weeks (possibly longer), so if there are any names you don’t want to lose, please ensure you keep the above guidelines in mind!

This is a first pass on this policy, and we may modify it at a later date, however we will give at least 30 days notice for any changes related to releasing names.

Now… Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting