Takeoff is a rip off

I took Mighty Leap as a test. I wasn't sure how it works, or what it did etc.

It's a very underwhelming power. We do not leap "great distances" - as far as leaping goes it's mediocre at best. But of course, then we get to use Takeoff which increases jump speed.

Except it does not. You stop your foot and jump and there is zero difference. You do not seem to jump higher, nor faster. I tested this a bit and I can detect no discernable difference having leapt with or without having triggered Takeoff. Sure, you knock down a couple of mobs when you stomp but if you leap after it makes no apparent difference.

It seems the description of the power is either wrong, or it might be broken but it does not seem to work in any way as described. What is actually happening here?

How can one justify taking this power?

• Confused 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I like this power. I use it as DMG mitigation. It has a decent knockdown. 

Did you notice if they fixed the animation? The animation was triggering about head level instead of Ground Level. 

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I'm pretty sure mighty leap is at least on par with super jump.  The takeoff power, in addition to providing the jump speed buff, also acts as a foot stomp power, which can knock down nearby enemies.  On many of my melee characters, that secondary ability is a great supplement to their existing attacks, and can buy you that tiny margin you need to heal up or wait for a power to recharge...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

How can one justify taking this power?

Just last night, a teammate playing a tank told me that they specifically picked Force of Will>Mighty Leap over Leaping>Super Jump so that they could have Takeoff to use like a second Super Strength>Foot Stomp.

I know that I take this variation of travel-by-jumping on characters specifically if I think that character would have the ability to "foot stomp".

I don't know if I have ever even bothered to use it for extra travel distance.

• Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

The issue here is that it’s really hard to perceive the difference between pre and post Takeoff. It does boost the effects, but they’re not gigantic boosts and the power runs in arcs making it even harder to really visually quantify the speed to height increase, especially when most usually aren’t hitting height cap each jump but rooftop jumping.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Just last night, a teammate playing a tank told me that they specifically picked Force of Will>Mighty Leap over Leaping>Super Jump so that they could have Takeoff to use like a second Super Strength>Foot Stomp.

Can't imagine a Tanker needing that.  Doesn't it have a longish recharge?  Foot Stomp is gonna be under 10 seconds in a final build.   I would open this pool for the other powers it has.  Leap/Takeoff is icing on that cake.

I've grown to lurv Force of Will, including its travel power.

Takeoff does improve jump speed, but only for a relatively short time (30 sec?). My characters with Mighty Leap are among the fastest to get between missions (judged both against my other characters, and PUGmates) using only travel power, unless some peculiar zone geometry is in play (typically by requiring some degree of Flight).

I first took the power because of a character concept that knocks down enemies (non-patch)... see also Wall of Force.... and the pool has become a favorite for certain of my Tankers. The timer on Takeoff is somewhat long (2 mins?), so it isn't something that you can use as part of a regular power rotation. As @UltraAlt wrote, it is a nice way to get the attention of relatively large spawn of characters, in a way that doesn't require paying that much attention to specific targets. One appreciated (by me) side effect of using Mighty Leap in Tankers is that this AT is among the least likely to need either of the Universal Travel global piece (Slow Resist or Mag 4 Knockback Resist) or a Stealth piece... so the travel power can be slotted for Endurance Reduction (or Endurance/Jump) to be always kept toggled on (modulo the amount of other button mashing).

Off the top of my head the only thing I actually dislike about the Force of Will pool is the lack of tintable color (or no-effect) options of the powers. Maybe I'm just imagining this defect. I turn a blind eye to the animations being a combination of signature moves from Professor X and The Incredible Hulk.

2 hours ago, tidge said:

Maybe I'm just imagining this defect. I turn a blind eye to the animations being a combination of signature moves from Professor X and The Incredible Hulk.

I suddenly really wish there were an option for characters in wheel chairs or some kind of way to express that in-game so I could make a character that can't walk that uses extreme Psychic abilities to make others believe and see they are this massive raging beast 24/7 (dual costume) when in fact they are this thin frail brittle little man with an absurd amount of psycho-telekinetic ability.

• 5 weeks later

ok I'm gonna take it back.

I have used this power in anger now and it does perform much better than I at first believed.

I still can't say I love it but I do recognise that my initial assessment of it was perhaps unduly harsh. I can see myself taking it again, especially if I could work out a way to make the footstomp be a key click rather than a mouse click.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I mean, it's subjective at best, but I do sometimes take it. The KD is nice to use for some minor control and it does give the jump a nice boost. Weaken Resolve is kinda meh, but can be helpful for leveling up a squishy. The attacks are decent, nice on a Controller who needs extra attacks (I'm pretty sure Containment applies) or a melee character who needs some ranged attacks, and Unleash Potential is a really nice power, especially if you have a ton of recharge and can have it up more often than not.

6 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

I mean, compared to what?  Super Jump's bonus power is also gimmicky at best, and it doesn't give me cool psychic emanations when I turn it on.

It's been so long since I ever took Super Jump that I did not actually know it had a "bonus power" these days

I love SJ's bonus power because, with Parkour Stance, you do flips in mid air when you let off the space bar.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Not all Tank sets get a Foot Stomp. If it is in concept, but not available to the set, Mighty Leap makes for a handy workaround.

Does seem a tad underwhelming, though.

(There's a mod to make it at least sound Mighty.)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 2/3/2023 at 3:30 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

ok I'm gonna take it back.

I have used this power in anger now and it does perform much better than I at first believed.

I still can't say I love it but I do recognise that my initial assessment of it was perhaps unduly harsh. I can see myself taking it again, especially if I could work out a way to make the footstomp be a key click rather than a mouse click.

If it is like fly with the pop up tray, then you can keybind it in options.

19 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I default to Mystic Flight these days - a good fly and a TP. What's not to like? It's what the Teleport power should always have been.

I guess this really isn't the thread for this, but about teleport pool ....

Honestly, I get the teleport pool for a large number of my characters simply for recall target which I mainly use for teammates. 

I agree that teleport needed some kind of "active teleport mode" that keep you in motionless hover until you turned it off. In that state, you could then teleport and/or stay in the air until you turned off the "active teleport mode".

The temporary hover addition before the sunset was a bit of a fix, but I always ended up getting hover on my characters had teleport as the main teleport power.

All the travel powers have an "active mode" (you toggle them on and they are active until you turned it off), don't they?

So why was teleport left out of that mix? I wonder....

...and how hard would it be to implement that? (would people with that power pool even want that?)

I'm assuming mystic flight already has the mechanics for the built in flight endurance use and then the additional endurance use when the teleport is triggered.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.