Too much Acc?

Troo

How much is too much accuracy?

Is 100% enough or should we be shooting for more?

Typically I shoot for 175-185% and for the life of me I can't really remember why that number range.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

55 minutes ago, Troo said:

Typically I shoot for 175-185% and for the life of me I can't really remember why that number range.

I always try to slap on a Kismet and take Leadership or other pools that have Accuracy whenever I can fit them on a build.  Pretty much for all builds.  Some more overboard than others.  That is +to hit.  WAAAaaaaaaay better.  THEN I add as much +ACC bonuses as 'naturally' fit.

I run a lot of Dark Dark and some Dark powers (usually one per toon) has a crap base accuracy.  I find part of Dark's game is a accuracy 'fulcrum shift'  You need a lot less Res Def and Health if you always hit and your opponents rarely hit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I generally slot 40-50% in powers and shoot for 40%+ in set bonuses. I might cut those if I'm running Tactics, Kismet or some other +tohit.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Kismet is standard slotting for me as well, and depending on the character I'll take tactics as well. Otherwise I ride off the natural acc from my slotting choices and any incidental acc gained from set bonuses.

If a power doesn't seem to hit well enough I'll slot more acc, but that's hardly the issue even at +4.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

While leveling, every little bit helps.  But by the time I get to 50+, there are usually one of two scenarios:  you're capped at 95% to hit, or debuffers gang up on you.  Nothing like a handful of Agony Mages or whoever to knock your to hit back to single digits.  

Lately, I've been looking more at epic pool choices just for the -to hit debuff resistance, like Focused Accuracy and just slot them with endurance reduction.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who run Bartertown?

Take for example image.png.f13ce976bfeb4750fc0ca875eacdbe1c.png

[*] HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure
[*] HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure
[*] Perfect Zinger - Chance for Psi Damage
[*] Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage
[*] Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
[*] Fury of the Gladiator - Chance for Res Debuff

With a global [*] Kismet - Accuracy +6% & Tactics' ToHit +10%

We land at, for Whirling Hands, accuracy of 151.6%. With other misc bonuses 184.4%.  Is that overkill and simply wasted Acc?

Could alternately go image.png.6f80a8dfbb64269a2ad3ae676465369c.png which eeks out a smidge more average damage.

Here, for the same build, we land at Whirling Hands accuracy being 121.3%. With other misc bonuses 152.2%. Is this enough for +4 content?

@Bopper NUmB3rs h3rtz br41nZ

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

12 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I'm just confused that would be slotted with so many procs, did Whirling Hand get a recharge change?

Whirling Hands has a 14s recharge.

On a Tank it's a poster child for procs taking it from 120-ish damage to potentially 300+/- across 16 targets albeit with an 8 foot radius.

Edited by Troo

4 minutes ago, Troo said:

Whirling Hands has a 14s recharge.

On a Tank it's a poster child for procs taking it from 120-ish damage to potentially 300+/- across 16 targets albeit with an 8 foot radius.

I suppose my playstyle is different, but I like to have at least a 75% chance to proc any 3.5 PPM procs.

With your above slotting, you're hitting 50% chance to proc on 3.5PPM procs.

Spoiler

image.png.653c7b3da96bbb2bd476eb60a3a8396c.png

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Well, if I remember right your base chance to hit a +0 mob is 75%. Each +1 in level drops that by 5%, so if you're running at +4 you'll have a 55% to hit a +4 mob, and a 50% to hit a +5 mob.

Accuracy is a modifier on your to-hit check. So if you have a 50% to hit and +50% accuracy, your odds to hit would go up to 75% (50 + 1.5).

To-hit modifies your base hit chances, so if you had the same 50% hit chance, and +30% to-hit, your odds of hitting would be 80%. If you have +20% or more accuracy, you'll be at 95% to hit.

So against a +0 mob, if you have +20% to-hit and zero accuracy, you'll still hit 95% of the time (barring debuffs, mobs with +def, etc). Against mobs at higher levels, or mobs with defense or debuffs, accuracy becomes less valuable and to-hit becomes much more powerful.

I have very little knowledge about procs, as I rarely use them myself. The ones I do use are generally just included in a set for the final set bonus.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Like 1

@Troo Perhaps I imagined it (or more likely misremembered), but I am currently under the impression that the %damage (and %mezz) procs have some sort of reliance on Accuracy independent of base ToHit chance of the power cast at them (in addition to the %proc chance)... this is (from my memory) part of the reason was so a  %damage proc in an "autohit power" would not be guaranteed to "hit" (beside factoring in the %proc rate).

My Whirling Hands (tanker) slotting is much like your second choice. I like your choice of %-Restance, but I actually have the Superior Gauntleted Fist %Absorb in place of the %-Res (Invuln Tanker)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@WumpusRat That seems to indicate I am over shooting accuracy even when taking into account some debuffs.

Working example that seems better than what I've been doing.

• Lvl 50 Acc/Dam HO providing 33% Acc
  • 20% Global +Acc bonuses (purple set 15% Acc, 6% Kismet)
  • 20% Global +ToHit
  • 55% base for +4 (ignoring any level shifts)

55 * (1 + .33 + .20) = 84.15%

84.15 + 20 Global ToHit > 95% (correct?)

Edited by Troo

30 minutes ago, Troo said:

@WumpusRat That seems to indicate I am over shooting accuracy even when taking into account some debuffs.

Working example that seems better than what I've been doing.

• Lvl 50 Acc/Dam HO providing 33% Acc
  • 20% Global +Acc bonuses (purple set 15% Acc, 6% Kismet)
  • 20% Global +ToHit
  • 55% base for +4 (ignoring any level shifts)

55 * (1 + .33 + .20) = 84.15%

84.15 + 20 Global ToHit > 95% (correct?)

Kismet is actually a to-hit buff, rather than accuracy. It SAYS accuracy, but it's to-hit. Which makes it a really nice one-slot bonus.

Accuracy functions on a multiple, rather than additive. To-hit is the additive.

So against a +4 mob the base chance to hit is 55%.

With +20% to-hit, it goes up to 75%.

With 53% accuracy on top of that, you'd go to 114.5% (75% * 1.53), which caps at 95%.

Mobs would have to have +20% defense (which a lot of the cimerorans have, with their shield stuff), or debuff you with -to hit to drop you below 95%.

Depending on what you fight a lot, having more than enough chance to hit is a good thing. Especially for the end-game groups (Carnies, Arachnos, Cimerorans, etc), who all have +def, -to hit debuffs, or both. I've died far too often to groups of pissed-off Nemesis soldiers who suddenly gained a ton of defense, to-hit and damage when their majors dropped, and I didn't have enough acc/to-hit to compensate. 🙂

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

They actually fixed Kismet to say to-hit in either page 4 or 5

I was going to use the Kismet piece as an example of misbranding/false (in-game) advertising in a recent "copyright infringement" thread, but because that Enhancement's title had been fixed it had to go onto the pile of never-to-be-used (counter) examples. I guess I'm stuck complaining that Icon won't outfit my characters with a "clanket".

Seriously, can the city hall rep give me a clanket mission?

• Haha 1

You can adjust the display settings in Mids to simulate your numbers against +4 enemies if you want to know if you have "enough" accuracy/to-hit to reliably land hits against them, assuming no enemy buffs/player debuffs are in play. This makes it easier to plan builds without having to look up values and do manual math. I might like numbers, but if the system can do it all for me it's a lot nicer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Thanks @ForeverLaxx. How much Acc do you shoot for in individual?

This is more an exercise in "Do I shoot for too much Acc" with some explanation and discussion.

For a point of reference, I will say that slotting, for instance, a full set Superior Gauntleted Fist into your Whirling Hands would give 81.4% acc boost. I use this and Focused Acc from Energy Mastery. I use this tank for +4 content. My single target attacks are at least 75% boosted. I also use Resilient Core which adds a 20% to hit buff.

Edited by KC4800
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 1/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, Troo said:

It all depends on what you're up to when you play. 

If you're routinely out clobbering npcs at +4, then a higher accuracy is in order. Particularly if the npcs have a habit of debuffing accuracy or have particularly high defense. 
Think of Vampyri, Spectral demons for the former, and Rikti drones for the latter. When these npcs are +4 to you, it can be more than a bit annoying to hit "Aim" and then your t-9 and whiff. Repeatedly missing because your attack was "deflected". That nifty rule about only missing 3 times in a row doesn't seem to apply here. I've missed against a level 54 drone on my standard level 50 blaster 7 times in a row before I finally got him. But that was only with a kismet 6% and whatever accuracy comes with the global set bonuses. No tactics or Focused Accuracy. 

Anecdotally, I don't ever worry about accuracy because of the kismet. It's generally enough with the kismet, and when it's not, I can use the yellow inspirations. 

• Thanks 1

I suppose I can offer my own approaches (for level 50+ builds, not considering Incarnates). I will admit that I am not specifically min-maxing the total numbers (Accuracy in a power considering both slotting of that power, global Accuracy/ToHit boosts, toggle effects from other powers (Tactics, Invincibility, Link Minds, Mind Link, etc.). I mention this caveat because (1) My approach will lead to mathematically greater than 95% final ToHit for a lot of content, (2) I try to approach each "attack" in isolation mostly because I enjoy running low-level content with PUGmates at increased enemy difficulties.

I should note: Some specific builds for some AT can make compromises on Accuracy slotting depending on playstyle and power choices. Thinking about my own roster: an Invulnerability/Energy Melee Tanker with ToHit slotting in Invincibility (e.g. a boosted 53 Hami-O: Cytoskeleton) who can keep itself surrounded with enemies may not have to worry too much about accuracy slotting for melee AoE. I do recommend having Build Up for those solo fights!

I typically try to have a minimum of 125% 'accuracy' in the "%proctastic attacks". Most of this is typically coming from 50+ enhancement set slotting bonuses, most enhancement sets I slot include accuracy components, so they will typically have much higher than 125% at 50%. The purple sets I like often include a 15% global accuracy boost with 4 pieces. 

I will (almost) always have (boosted) Accuracy as the first choice of enhancement in a %damage proctastic AoE "attack", what I combine it with afterwards, "depends"...

• For melee, if the AT has a damage scale 1 or above, I generally use (boosted) Accuracy/Damage
  • For melee, if the AT has a damage scale below 1, I generally use (boosted) Accuracy/Endurance (all praise to Rularuu for Multi-Strike Accuracy/Endurance existing!)
  • For ranged cones, I start with (boosted) Accuracy/Range... unless the range of the cone would be wildly longer than other ranged powers. Special Note: many of my characters get a boosted Hami-O Accuracy/Range and a boosted D-Sync Damage/Range in their cones.
  • If it is an AoE absorb type power, I try to use the Accuracy/Absorb... but those stay attuned because of set bonuses.
  • If it otherwise doesn't matter and there is no benefit from Accuracy/recharge, I just use a common Invention Accuracy piece.

In proctastic AoE "attacks" (quotes used because of powers like DNA Siphon) I generally find myself using a PVP set to get a secondary enhancement, as Purple sets generally don't offer Accuracy/Endurance combination. High-damage scale AT just lean into strait (not %proc) Damage Enhancement via Purple sets, except for ranged cones on Stalkers/Scrappers.

17 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Monitor your last hit chance.  If it's consistently below 95% then you need more.  Doubly true if you're already using Kismet and Tactics/Focused Accuracy in the build.

Also there is an option to monitor ToHit bonus; i am usually monitoring that stat for debuffs.

• Thanks 1

I've forgotten the relationship between Acc and To Hit... I know there's an interesting mechanic between the two but that would help to understand how much acc one needs to succeed in this game

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

8 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I've forgotten the relationship between Acc and To Hit... I know there's an interesting mechanic between the two but that would help to understand how much acc one needs to succeed in this game

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Attack_Mechanics

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

I've missed against a level 54 drone on my standard level 50 blaster 7 times in a row before I finally got him.

Drones have 35% defense to melee and ranged attacks, but no defense to AoE attacks or attacks without a positional tag.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

That nifty rule about only missing 3 times in a row doesn't seem to apply here. I've missed against a level 54 drone on my standard level 50 blaster 7 times in a row before I finally got him.

It always applies.  It's just that the number of misses StreakBreaker allows before forcing a hit depends on your final chance to hit that enemy.  If you missed 7 times then your chance to hit that drone was less than 30%.

Per the wiki:

Final to-hit : misses allowed

>.9 : 1
.8-.9 : 2
.6-.8 : 3
.4-.6 : 4
.3-.4 : 6
.2-.3 : 8
0 -.2 : 100