Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #13: Foru-mites

SeraphimKensai

Welcome back for another exciting week.

This week our topic deals with a subculture of players, namely the Foru-mites or regulars haunting these forums, so essentially you.

What causes a player to become a forum regular? Is it an unquenchable need to know? A need for a place to vent or complain? Float new ideas, help people or copy someone else's build for a project your working on?

How much time do you spend on the forums compared to actually playing in game? Do you play in-game with any other forum regulars, or do you keep business and pleasure separate?

Do you lurk or post away?

Do you worry about forum reputation or padding the post count like it's veteran levels?

What draws you in and captivates you to use the forums?

Thanks again folks.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mostly habit.  I mean for as long as I've been playing MMO's (20+ years) forums have been the center of activity for interaction with other players as well as news, information, etc... about the game.  (Heck, it's not really just MMO's or even just games in the 'net era.)

I mostly just reply and comment and start few new threads.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

They're useful if I'm thinking about CoH but I'm away from my computer either on break at work or on vacation.  I like to know about updates/patch notes and people's thoughts on them, plus the AT forums for build ideas.

I only recently returned after a loooong break but Patch 5 looks exciting with Sentinel changes and Illusion Doms, plus the MM pet buffs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's really a way to connect to the game when I can't be playing.

And occasionally to get useful information.  The patch notes are really useful.  Other forum posters can be helpful on occassion.

I don't care about my reputation.  In general I assume I don't have one.  I only recognize a few other posters.

I have not teamed up with any forumites but I've seen a few in game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I come here for info or sparks of inspiration. Someone may comment on how they slotted a certain power, that will get me looking into making that power more effective on one of my builds.

I shy away from argumentative posts or opinion sharing unless I feel it is positive.

I wish I was a better tester, but I am just not. I don't look at numbers, I play by feel. That's hard to quantify.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

3 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

This week our topic deals with a subculture of players, namely the Foru-mites or regulars haunting these forums, so essentially you.

What causes a player to become a forum regular? Is it an unquenchable need to know? A need for a place to vent or complain? Float new ideas, help people or copy someone else's build for a project your working on?

How much time do you spend on the forums compared to actually playing in game? Do you play in-game with any other forum regulars, or do you keep business and pleasure separate?

Do you worry about forum reputation or padding the post count like it's veteran levels?

Thanks again folks.

From the top;

I became a regular forum goer (and Homecoming Discord goer) because I learn from other player experience and can enjoy the discussion between the community. I would say the flavor is more to help and learn.

I spend an equal amount of time between the game and the forums. I do not play in game with any forum regulars, but I do occasionally run in to a few (Indomitable ftw!).

I don't lurk, I reply when I feel like it.

I don't care about forum reputation, but I do observe the CoC and rules outlined by the Homecoming Team when I post.

I like superhero culture and this community is a nexus for that.

Thanks for your continued Weekly Posts!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Game-forum participation goes back a long way for me (pre-internet), and followed on needing to use other discussion boards as sources of information to find out how to get various things done. (Like getting your USRobotics 1200 baud modem with the fancy new protocols to connect to your buddy's cheapo Cermetek.) Once you've started searching forums for one type of info it's pretty natural to check there for other things.

I greatly appreciated the help and advice I got on some early gaming forums (Everquest and earlier) and tried to "pay it forward" by helping newer players with some of the things I'd learned.

Eventually, like other posters above, it also became a way to stay somewhat connected to a game even when I couldn't play.

Plus of course, posting on forums is a chick magnet. Chicks dig an active poster kids! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came here because I was lost.  When I get found I will leave.

I actually play a lot more than I post.  This may shock some of you.

lurker.  Big on the lurk...

I am very concerned with my forum reputation.  I try to say nice things to everyone.

“Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!” ― The Tick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I like to see what the DEVs are working on and take part in beta testing.

I like to help people - if I can - sometimes I'm wrong, but I'm trying to help.

Sometimes it is just wanting to take time writing by being part of discussions.

If I have questions, I may ask them in the forums or in-game. If it's not imperative to know immediately, I will ask in the forums ... but, usually, after taking time to check the wiki (which is very helpful - thank you @Michiyo!) 

Sometimes I want to post ideas, bug reports, or text issues. (frequency-wise in that order)

What causes a player to become a forum regular?

A forum regular to me is someone that logs into the forums every gaming session. 

I think people do it to get a more depth attachment to the game and its development both through making suggestions and taking part in betas.

I guess this falls under "an unquenchable need to know".

How much time do you spend on the forums compared to actually playing in game?

I do most of my forum stuff usually either while waiting for the "the market is busy" message to clear when marketing and at the end of my play session.

Do you play in-game with any other forum regulars, or do you keep business and pleasure separate?

I'm sure I do, but I don't know if they are forum regulars or not. I always have my masks on, so they won't know if they are gaming with me.

There is only one person that I know for sure I game with that I interact with in the forums and that interaction is through PMs and not back-and-forth discussions in the forums proper.

I post.

I would say pretty much 90% of the time - if I feel like it is worth checking out a topic, I'm going to post on it. That being said, I'm seeing a good number of posts that seem to be intentionally inflammatory, and I'm trying to start not to get involved with them. 

I only worry about forum reputation of others as a warning of what might be intentionally inflammatory comments.

I don't care about my own forum reputation ... but I can't say that I don't look at "reactions received" from time to time.

To me, this is the same question as the starting question, so refer to the top of the post.

However, maybe I'm missing some subtly in the question.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I came here looking for info, as I'm sure most people do. There's still generally a lot of good information to be had here.

I stick around because I like sharing my costumes and dropping the tidbit of build help from time to time. Plus, I can't resist the opportunity to make a funny.

I've ran into a few other forumgoers online. Not often, and I'm not necessarily one to call people out, either. It is a fun game of hide and seek, though.

I don't particularly care about my forum rep, but it is nice to look at the number. Even though I totally farmed 80% of it from the costume thread.

I lurk a lot. I offer advice and knowledge when I can. But all opinions stink, so you won't find me sharing many.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Well, I like to keep an eye on updates and the incessant scrolling of Discord annoys me a bit.  As well as that one of my favorite bits of the game is SFMA AEs, and I tend to hang around in the Mission Architect section where the more prolific AE writers post so I can look for new things to play.  Otherwise I'm just working my way through who knows how many random AEs directly on the console.

And I like sharing what I've found because I'd like other people to see all the cool things too!  Ok, that's obviously subjective but whatcha gonna do?

• Thumbs Up 3

1. Discord is objectively awful.

2. I like to help when I can.

3. I often learn stuff.

4. Sometimes forum folks make me laugh. Out loud.

Edited by DoctorDitko
lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

9 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

1. Discord is objectively awful.

Eris is not pleased.

fee0c6364cb03e294aaf6aa123ad30a9.png

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:20 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

Nice.

What causes a player to become a forum regular?

Lack of options. Schadenfreude. Habit. 

How much time do you spend on the forums compared to actually playing in game?

Lately, it might be 30/70. Technically I'm 'in game' as I post this right now.

Do you play in-game with any other forum regulars

I see Everlasting folks that post here quite frequently. There used to be more, I miss their presence in-game even if I'm not around myself as much as I used to be.

I never understood the whole "I never see people who post here in game" line. That must be an Excel problem. I see all sorts of people from the forums in-game, from Hard Mode content runners to people with their niche D&D inspired characters. Sometimes you just need to keep your eyes open to who's-who in the zoo.

Yes.

Insofar as having as many updoots as posts makes me feel like I'm generating entertaining or interesting responses for people, yes. But my ego isn't tied to it.

I used to be in the Discord, but honestly it's hard for me to put a Discord scroll down. I can't afford to be so distracted. The Forums are less interactive, so they accommodate my flaws better.

Thanks again folks.

Thank you for doing these. They're fun. Even more so when we have interesting topics like this one that allow us to poke fun at ourselves.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
Bonus Points for the Edit button. I'm a terrible proof-reader.
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:20 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

By some of this week's posts it looks like a discussion of Discord might be popular, but you should probably put a link to it on the CoH Discord channel.

Edited by UltraAlt

8 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:
On 1/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

Yes.

lol

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

23 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Discord is objectively awful.

+1 and thank you. You've won the day in my book.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

By some of this week's posts it looks like a discussion of Discord might be popular, but you should probably put a link to it on the CoH Discord channel.

You're more than welcome to do so. I hardly use discord myself these days as I'm listening for crying from the baby's room, as I can usually only get in-game these days if she's napping and I'm not working.

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

You're more than welcome to do so. I hardly use discord myself these days as I'm listening for crying from the baby's room, as I can usually only get in-game these days if she's napping and I'm not working.

You are doing a good job of "running" the unofficial weekly discussions. I'm not trying to step on your toes.

I don't use the CoH Discord, so I'm out of that loop as well.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

Jjrsoger

Is that a homage meme?! That's awesome. How did you convert the artwork? Never mind.. it's similar but different.

Hnet.com-image.gif

Edited by Troo