Things that make you say "Hmmm..."

Techwright

9 hours ago, Techwright said:

Things that make you say "hmm...".  Apologies to Arsenio Hall. 

Ever note something in the game that makes you wonder?

If two equal Sappers square off against each other, does one win, or do they each negate the other equally?

The one that really bugs me is when you come across 2 groups of NPCs seemingly fighting it out, only for them to turn, in unison, and attack you.  Realistically, some should attack you, some should continue to attack their original opponents, and some should kind of get lost in the fray... 

• Thumbs Up 7

All that gambling in the Golden Giza, but no one is smoking. That is so not like Vegas.

• Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The random round that ends in a roundabout amidst cliff walls in the far southeast of Founder's Falls for no apparent reason whatsoever. There's no shops along the path, no statue, just a road, and a roundabout.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/16/2023 at 11:46 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

The random round that ends in a roundabout amidst cliff walls in the far southeast of Founder's Falls for no apparent reason whatsoever. There's no shops along the path, no statue, just a road, and a roundabout.

Well they were going to build a neighborhood there, but then there were these zoning disagreements, materiels shortage with the construction companies, some kind of licensing snafu. and a union strike going on. And then there was was the infamous shutdown of 2012 when it seems that everything just stopped for some unknown reason and no money was coming in. When things just started getting going again in 2019, then COVID hit soon after. Long story short, the city just doesn't need that neighborhood anymore...

Edited by Turric
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I thought it was a feeding station for Devouring Earth, in hope of keeping them out of the city... 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why does the Paragon City department of roads use names like "Dark Astoria" on road signs, but "Woodvale", "Baumtown", and "Overbrook" on others? And why does the Hazard sign in Steel Canyon read "Boomtown", but the hazard gate in Atlas Park for the Hollows reads "Eastgate"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's that part early in the game where the villain says this after bringing Arachnos to Paragon City.

The heroes in this city became too complacent Too many left crimes unanswered, believing it was 'beneath' them. Too many simply went about living their lives as if they were normal, when they were not, when they had responsibilities to the people.

The heroes of this city needed to be shaken back awake, to realize their true role in this life. The destruction of Galaxy helped with this, but still, heroes in Atlas continued in their complacency. There needed to be a strike to the heart. And so, here we are.

And then once you get a police scanner and use it in a low level area, the popup says "The events here seem to be beneath your notice."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Random Axis said:

There's that part early in the game where the villain says this after bringing Arachnos to Paragon City.

And then once you get a police scanner and use it in a low level area, the popup says "The events here seem to be beneath your notice."

And that's why I think a server with GM or Rikti zone event code applied to all mobs might be interesting. Or at least not any worse than the AE itself if one is prone to repetitive farming.

Might have to redo how the harder mob groups grant xp though, to ensure there is a reason to fight them as opposed to sandbagging on Skulls all day.

Edited by OverkillEngine
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, Random Axis said:

I never paid much attention to scanner missions, but I agree that it's kind of dumb to see the game mechanics invalidate Aaron Thiery's work. I'd rather decide for myself whether I care about crime in a given district than have the game arbitrarily declare that I don't care about what's going on in zones I outleveled. There was this one recent suggestion thread proposing a rework of the scanner system so that players can get level-appropriate missions no matter the zone they're in, and I wholeheartedly support it.

Edited by Vic Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, Techwright said:

If two equal Sappers square off against each other, does one win, or do they each negate the other equally?

Depends who shoots first.

... yes, I do enjoy confusing Sappers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Vic Raiden said:

There was this one recent suggestion thread proposing a rework of the scanner system so that players can get level-appropriate missions no matter the zone they're in, and I wholeheartedly support it.

That's a fantastic Idea I'm 100% onboard for. It's thematically better and spreads out players which makes things easier on the computers. 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Vic Raiden said:

There was this one recent suggestion thread proposing a rework of the scanner system so that players can get level-appropriate missions no matter the zone they're in, and I wholeheartedly support it.

8 hours ago, Random Axis said:

That's a fantastic Idea I'm 100% onboard for. It's thematically better and spreads out players which makes things easier on the computers. 

To a certain extent this is how Tips/Alignment missions work. There are some that will send you to a specific/different zone, but for the most part (at least blueside) you can run them in any non-Hazard zone.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:07 AM, Greycat said:

Depends who shoots first.

... yes, I do enjoy confusing Sappers.

But what if both attack each other at exactly the same time?  Is that even possible?  Or is everything in this game, down at some deep level in the attack loop.... turn-based?

Hmmmmm.....

On 7/15/2023 at 10:19 PM, cranebump said:

All that gambling in the Golden Giza, but no one is smoking. That is so not like Vegas.

And the streets are clean so not Atlantic CIty either.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 7/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, Sir Myshkin said:

It's best to not think of the traffic and urban design in this game too much. That is a path towards madness. 

• Game Master
On 7/26/2023 at 5:06 PM, Vic Raiden said:

I never paid much attention to scanner missions, but I agree that it's kind of dumb to see the game mechanics invalidate Aaron Thiery's work. I'd rather decide for myself whether I care about crime in a given district than have the game arbitrarily declare that I don't care about what's going on in zones I outleveled. There was this one recent suggestion thread proposing a rework of the scanner system so that players can get level-appropriate missions no matter the zone they're in, and I wholeheartedly support it.

In fairness to Thiery he is totally correct. We spend time as lowbies smacking on Skulls, but you get a mission in Atlas at high levels and the poor woman getting her bag snatched is on her own. Powerful heroes walk past her without a second thought and she's on her own. I was in Kings Row yesterday and walked past three cops getting beaten by their own night sticks and I didn't even look twice at them.

21 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

I was in Kings Row yesterday and walked past three cops getting beaten by their own night sticks and I didn't even look twice at them.

That seems more a reflection on you than the game.  Even if they're gray to you, how could you let that go??  Shameful...  just shameful.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

In fairness to Thiery he is totally correct. We spend time as lowbies smacking on Skulls, but you get a mission in Atlas at high levels and the poor woman getting her bag snatched is on her own. Powerful heroes walk past her without a second thought and she's on her own. I was in Kings Row yesterday and walked past three cops getting beaten by their own night sticks and I didn't even look twice at them.

I'm not the type to do that. I see something bad happening or hear a citizen calling for help, I stop in my tracks and go help. Nevermind that I won't get any XP from the Hellion or Skull or Outcast hooligans I just put in reformatory/jail, I'm satisfied with just the kind words from the citizen I saved and the feeling of having done the right thing.

... unless it's actually a battle spawn and the victim "thanks" me by joining his or her oppressors in trying to kill me.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Okay, this made me go "Hmmm...."   What's the ourdoor seating for.... at a jewelry shop?  And why then did they put up a wall blocking the view of the canal?

image.thumb.jpeg.a0cb0b05fd97b637b8ca6eb63016ce8b.jpeg

Used to be a cafe, but then a bunch of speedboaters kept splashing the customers, which caused the cafe to close, but their request for help still wound up going thru with the city putting the wall in.

• Thumbs Up 1