How do YOU control your character?

Mir2

I have been reviewing other players’ binds and macros, and have come to the conclusion that most people must control their characters differently than I do. 

I use;

Left hand;

• asdw to move

Right Hand;

• numpad 0-9 for tray 1

Left pinky, Right hand;

. Lshift numpad 0-9 for tray 2

• Lctrl numpad 0-9 for tray 3

• Various mousse combinations for TP / pet-summoning, etc. 

(MM use the “Sandolphan” binds)(apologies if the credit is to the wrong person)

That has been how I played since the game came out.  I can change, if I have to, I guess. 

How do most other people control their toons?

Edited by Mir2
  • Thumbs Up 1

e,d,s,f to move. 1-4, q,w,r,t,a,g for abilities. Those in conjunction with alt or shift to access my other two trays though the "alt" tray I mostly use for toggles and buffs with long recharge. I got a fourth tray for stuff I use rarely, like long range teleporter.

Edited by Sykar

Edit; 

I use regular numbers 1-8 to target teammates, since my main is a /kin. 

All of this is fine at range, but makes it difficult to move and activate at the same time. This could be part of why I dislike melee toons. 

5 minutes ago, Sykar said:

e,d,s,f to move. 1-4, q,w,r,t,a,g for abilities. Those in conjunction with alt or shift to access me other two trays. I got a fourth tray for stuff I use rarely, like long range teleporter.

Shift/alt with the same hand, or do you use your right hand?

6 minutes ago, Sykar said:

I just click on them in the team tray. My favourite AT is controller.

Since I use my right hand to activate abilities, it’s too slow to use mouse to click in window and then activate. Another example that “my way” is suboptimal. 

I’ll give your way a shot. 

I mouse with my left hand (not left-handed though) and use that for turning and manually selecting things.  I have the numeric keypad set up for movement and power activation.  Top numbers are for movement, bottom and the rest of the keys are powers (Zero is jump).  The arrow keys next to the keypad are for toggling my travel powers on and off.  PgUp and PgDown are target next/previous enemy.  Home is target nearest enemy.

I have left Ctrl+numeric keypad keys bound to the 3rd tray so I can have access to more powers.  I can hit that Ctrl key with my mouse-hand thumb without issue, so I can do all of this without ever needing to look down.

On characters with a lot of powers where all of those are not enough, I will typically put more rarely used powers such as Vengeance elsewhere in my power trans to be activated by the normal 1-9 keys.

12 minutes ago, carroto said:

I mouse with my left hand (not left-handed though) and use that for turning and manually selecting things. 

Just thinking about that hurts my head and makes my left hand feel mannequin-esque.  I could never do that, and am impressed by anyone that ambidextrous. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mir2 said:

Since I use my right hand to activate abilities, it’s too slow to use mouse to click in window and then activate. Another example that “my way” is suboptimal. 

I’ll give your way a shot. 

I am not saying that my way is better. It is just the most comfortable to me. Well second most, my favourite is having a 20 button mouse with 1-12 on thumb buttons on the side but my last one broke down so this setup has to do for now.

I use generally the same keys listed in the OP.

WASD (and/or mouse if my mouse hand is free) for movement

Numpad 1-8 to select teammates, and other numpad keys for various types of targeting

LCTRL + Numpad 0-9 for tray 2 (main attacks)

LSHIFT + Numpad 0-9 for tray 1

LALT + Numpad 0-9 for tray 3

F1-8 are mostly popmenus

Plus a plethora of other keybinds to do a host of different things, which are largely sync'd across all my characters. For instance, LSHIFT+Middle Mouse Button (AKA clicking the wheel) activates my travel power on every character.

I keep a 4th power tray open for rarely used powers (like Ouro or Rest) that I don't mind clicking, otherwise I don't click powers or use macros.

wasd for moving

f for activating fly powers

1-2-3-4-5-6  primary powers, then I bind rest of them because my finger isn't long enough to touch 7-8-9 numbers

shift+1-2-3-4-5-6 for toggle powers, i didn't bother binding rest because they are usually toggle

ctrl+1-2-3-4-5-6 for epic/power pool powers, I bound them to rest of keys as well for ease of use. If power is good enough it can replace my one of primary shortcuts.

shift+g for ohsh*t button, I remember this because i call it godmode and g key for remembering better.

shift+h for summoning umbra beast, again i remember this because that thing howls too much, so h key it is.

ctrl+space for teleporting powers, i usually use maxdistance for this so traveling became easier.

and so on so on, oh AND R key and shift+r key for various recovery powers, for remembering better.

When my character gets out of line, I control them by standing them in the corner, sometimes I ground them and when they really act out of line, I may even use a belt. However, that is for the most extreme cases, so don't go calling HPS (Hero Protective Services) on me over it!

43497c61868a28ec5bc7e44e9fbf189b.jpg

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have the TV wall mounted now, but this is my setup.  The Razer Tarterus left hand is the key.  movent by thumbtoggle with paddle thumb jump.  20 dedicated power buttons, basically two trays.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f7e13c85ed030b310dea32c11247d6b.jpeg

That looks more like a WoW peripheral choice/set up.... as that's what I used then.  My razer tart is gathering dust in a box now as I prefer to keep it simple now.  Left hand keyboard, right hand mouse.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mir2 said:

I am going to pretend that this rig is ONLY to play a fifteen-year-old discontinued game.  Love it. 

i also play wow....  but yeah, i dont even watch shows on the tv.  tend to watch programs on my phone lol

Edited by Snarky

1 hour ago, carroto said:

I'm not.  I was forced to learn to do it left-handed in my youth due to an injury and never saw any reason to change it.

yeah, do to a mishap in my younger years my right hand is fubar.  okay for weightlifting, but typing is right out.  The Razer Tarterus giving me left hand control is a blessing.  

17 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Meh GIF - Animated Octopus Typing - Discover & Share GIFs

oh, Octopi are scary smart.  only live a year and yet are incredible problem solvers.  

interesting theory on the evolution of the year cycle is that they are also natural cannibals.  so the old gen dies before the next shows up....

My standard layout for the three hotbars is:

ctrl-1 ctrl-2 ctrl-3 ctrl-4 F B V C G T 

Q E shift-1 shift-2 shift-3 shift-4 shift-5 alt-1 alt-2 alt-3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Left hand on keyboard, right hand on mouse.

If I just have a few toggles, I'll put them on 7-0. If I have a bunch, they go on a separate hotbar that's moved to the top-right of the screen.