The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Still take a travel power?

Gentoo

21 hours ago, Gentoo said:

With all the temp travel powers available, do you still use a power pick for a travel power?

It depends on character conception.

It would take me a good while to figure out what percentage of characters that don't use power-pick travel powers.

Some of them only use the P2W flight powers. They always get one of the P2W run/sprint powers.

Some of them rely upon the Shadow Shard Day Job flight pack (you can use this while in combat, and it can be charged up to 2 hours): https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dimensional_Explorer_Badge

21 hours ago, Gentoo said:

Is there any reason to do so besides the graphics/theme?

I didn't post on this yesterday on this thread because of this question.

It pretty much negates any reason for me to reply, but seeing this thread again, I thought that I should go ahead and post.

I don't make characters to mini-max, just to "defeat the game", or farming characters.

All of my characters are based on character conceptions.

A majority of my 100+ characters started with a character conception. I already have a basic idea of who they are, what they look like, what powers they (will) have, and how that character will interact with THE CITY. I do have some where I wanted to play a power set and created a character conception to match the power set, but this is rare and, generally, when a new powerset is released.

The quick answer here is "no". Which isn't really worth taking the time to post.

So why take the time to write the rest?

I feel that if  you take time with character conception and play the game (vs the end-game) that you will become more attached to the character and it will be more enjoyable to play them when you play them.

• Thumbs Up 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I usually do, partly because I'm a theme/concept junkie and partly because they're usually fairly easy to fit into the build, not especially slot-hungry, and a nice convenient place to keep a slow resist and/or knockback reduction IO.

I certainly don't do it at level 4 like I see a lot of builds doing, usually somewhere in the 40s, but one is probably going to get in there at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Drop Dead Gorgeous (Psionic Melee/Dark Armor stalker, 27 June 2024)

Over all the years, I have taken each of the travel powers many, many times.

But there is but one of them that, during the time when the City was closed, I missed so very, very much. Flying. So, yes, I still take travel powers, and, yes, my most commonly chosen one is Flight.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shazzie said:

Over all the years, I have taken each of the travel powers many, many times.

But there is but one of them that, during the time when the City was closed, I missed so very, very much. Flying. So, yes, I still take travel powers, and, yes, my most commonly chosen one is Flight.

I always thought it was too slow back when I played on live (pretty far back, before color customisation). I'm glad to see the speed increases and boost here on HC. I'm still mainly a melee guy but I have it on a couple blasters and a defender.

23 minutes ago, A Cat said:

I always thought it was too slow back when I played on live (pretty far back, before color customisation). I'm glad to see the speed increases and boost here on HC. I'm still mainly a melee guy but I have it on a couple blasters and a defender.

Yeah, it was a slower travel power. But the ease of use! Straight shot anywhere, and not have to worry about having to TP spam, or route out your Run or Jumps... it was just... autorun (well, autofly) and get there without having to bother with anything at all. I had my speedsters (probably my 2nd most picked travel power), but Flight was always just... <sigh> flight. Loved it from CoH launch (heck, from Beta!), and still do!  🙂

Edited by Shazzie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Flight was always my favorite too -- not the only one I use, but easily the one I use the most.

I don't care that it's slightly slower than others, it's still plenty fast. More than fast enough. And also it lets you F-bombing fly.

• Like 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Cyber-Security Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Drop Dead Gorgeous (Psionic Melee/Dark Armor stalker, 27 June 2024)

Always. But sometimes not from the Travel Pools.

For any magic-themed character, I find Mystic Flight irresistible.

A decent Fly, with built-in Teleport? Sign me up!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I didn't for a long time.  Then when they redid the stealth pool I started using infiltration a lot as both a travel power and a LoTG mule.  I've started weaving in other options but only if it doesn't hurt my offense or defense ability.  That seems to be about 1/2 the time.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I almost always take a travel power, usually Super Jump since Combat Jumping is included by default in all of my builds.  I can get by without one but they are noticeably faster.

There might have been a super tight build somewhere along the way that I made work by skipping a travel power.  But usually the only time I'll skip one is if the build includes a +speed power from the primary or secondary, like Quickness from Super Reflexes.  Those give me the extra boost that allows me to be satisfied with the speed of Athletic Run + Sprint.

I feel like the way a character gets from place to place is defining of that character. So I almost always take one. Sometimes jetpacks or magic carpets can be defining too. I'm very pleased that infiltration gives us a natural-themed choice.

Also, I like my characters to feel different from each other, so more variety is great.

• Thumbs Up 3

It depends on the build. I do have one 50 that still uses temp jetpacks to get around, but I've lately fallen in love a lot with Spring Attack for melee toons. (My latest Brute Barbierienne had that, plus Shield Charge, plus all the Axe attacks, so a lot of crowd-control options. And looked great.)

For non-melee toons, it's worth remembering most enemies don't think or fight 3 dimensionally... so going up is one way out of embarrassing one-shot melee kills.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Back in the before times, yes. Now, not so much.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

It was always a personal achievement for me to collect all the exploration badges in The Hollows with nothing but Sprint, prior to hitting 14 and getting a travel power. I'm mostly over that now. :)

Even on a 'natural' character I can justify Super Jump by putting rocket boots on them in the CC. Mostly I pick travel powers that fit the character concept.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

hello! i am addicted to the flight pool generally, i think that it's the most powerful movement option when deployed properly and honestly the travel aspect of it becomes the least valuable factor once you've got Team Transport and Mission Teleporter. the *real* draw is keeping enemies in your desired range increment and the superior mobility and finesse control during combat. it is Very Funny, hiding behind a support beam in the ceiling and dipping out to shoot at a frustrated boss character and since most players don't invest heavily into the pool you pretty much rule the skies in PvP zones: nobody can keep away from You, and nobody can catch You. strategic usage of -fly powers can make pulling mobs into the sky only to drop them crippled and confused on your team a viable strategy! also gives excellent options for setting yourself up in good hiding spots for ambushes or espionage on other players! a lot of people don't Look Up when they walk into a room.

best part? actually choosing flight with a power pick means it will never run out while you're in the middle of defusing a Dam bomb ❤️

Outside of Stone Tankers, I don't think I've taken a travel power since the game came back on.

But I will always take CJ!

I also use Fly a lot, that is, temp power flight.

Incidentally, the update that let you keep CJ on at all times, stacking its air control with Ninja Run, made it even less important to have real travel powers for me.

I frequently take Mighty Leap for the bonus of the foot-stomping Take Off.  That has saved many a weaker character when surrounded, and gives one more AoE control power to my tanks.  On those characters, I'll use Mighty Leap for its faster movement than a temporary jetpack, but will keep temporary jetpacks as backup in case some event negates the innate travel power, or if more precision is needed than Mighty Leap can deliver.

I have started to sometimes take teleportation powers that focus on teammates to aid in Task Forces.  ATT is nice, but with a long recovery, I find I usually need something else to aid the team.

Flight I'll only take if it is essential to the character's concept.  Likewise speed running, though I've very few characters with that.  Until I can run up walls, I find this game has too many obstacles for that power, even if I get the one with a teleport element.