what is the toughest location on city of heroes or villians you can go to

savair

I mean, you could go to the Hive or the Abyss, try to solo some of the monsters there, then try to solo Hamidon.  On a more realistic level, the far north of the Rikti War Zone has some pretty tough groups of 54 enemies, and there's always the Pylons you can test your mettle against.

Edited by biostem

consistently difficult.  there is a location badge in a tunnel on the ass end of Grandville.  without stealth this tends to be difficult. there is a army of arachnos and arguably difficult terrain.

many are naming places where you can walk up to three giant monsters.  but you do not have to.  every badger needs this badge and there can be a price paid.

I mean, part of how hard it is is going to depend a bit on what you're running it on and how you're built. And of course how you're running (+whateverxwhatever.)

GMs are supposed to be tough - and are, for most solo players - but there are people around who just go solo them.

People tend to avoid Carnies and Malta for being a PITA, though with Carnies it's often just tediousness after an MI summons an army of things that summon other things.

Solo all the things and take notes. *shrugs*

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Go to PI, set your diff as high as it goes, and play Malta radio missions.

Dark Astoria works as well. The Ditko Zone (aka Shadow Shard) has a different set of challenges, but is worth a try.

Might not be the greatest challenges in the game, but they'll give you an idea of how the high-end challenges go.

(Please don't solo Hamidon, it summons the nerf-herders.)

I have a knee-jerk disdain for folks who do all that in PI, except they only face Council.

(A joke at that level!) Then they complain about how easy this game is.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Go to PI, set your diff as high as it goes, and play Malta radio missions.

Dark Astoria works as well. The Ditko Zone (aka Shadow Shard) has a different set of challenges, but is worth a try.

Might not be the greatest challenges in the game, but they'll give you an idea of how the high-end challenges go.

(Please don't solo Hamidon, it summons the nerf-herders.)

I have a knee-jerk disdain for folks who do all that in PI, except they only face Council.

(A joke at that level!) Then they complain about how easy this game is.

Every now and then I'll go to PI and do the "PI team forming, +4/8 carnies only" or "malta only" and see who's brave enough to come join me.

I get a number for carnies, but usually it's crickets if I mention malta.

Running +4/8 in DA can be fun, especially if you don't just stick to Tsoo and Knives. BP in DA are no joke if you don't have massive amounts of defense or capped resists to about 6 different things, because they throw everything and the kitchen sink at you. And then there are the Talons, who laugh at your puny 60% defense and just slap you around with auto-hit aoe stuff. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

I get a number for carnies, but usually it's crickets if I mention malta.

If you ever notice I'm on, send me a tell. I'll gleefully join you -- mostly on Torch these days.

I do love building characters who can handle the foes others cower from!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

consistently difficult.  there is a location badge in a tunnel on the ass end of Grandville.  without stealth this tends to be difficult. there is a army of arachnos and arguably difficult terrain.

Hi, I always use the underground tunnel from just round the corner of “Spiderman” that goes completely underground right to that badge. Never see an enemy and a smooth paved run all the way 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jacktar said:

Hi, I always use the underground tunnel from just round the corner of “Spiderman” that goes completely underground right to that badge. Never see an enemy and a smooth paved run all the way 🙂

i never tried (knew about...) this

what is the toughest location on city of heroes or villians you can go to

Serge's office.  Honestly, the judgemental look toward your self-designed costume is off-the-charts crippling.  Honestly, some of the toughest people to survive the Rikti War have left that office begging for someone, anyone, to help them.  There's a reason Lord Recluse never attacks Icon.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Rugor said:

If you're going solo then, Cimerora can be difficult.  They are in groups and con red or purple.  Dark Astoria also has some areas that can get you in trouble m

Inside and on top of the fort are all lvl 54 groups. You can go farm there. Kill the healers first.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

A lot of different answers depending on your archetype, build, and powers, but off the top of my head...

The Storm Palace in the Shadow Shard has some particularly tough enemies. The Storm Elementals aren't bad, aside from high protection to mez effects, but the Rularuu also in the zone are tough customers. The sentries have +perception, which allows them to see even stalkers using hide, +to hit, and their attacks have -def as well. The brutes also have -def in their attacks, and the wisps all do psionic damage, which is hard to resist unless your powers specifically include it.

The Rikti War Zone has lots of level 54 spawns near the mothership, including elite bosses. The Rikti aren't particularly challenging, but being level 54 makes them much harder. Also, the Rikti pylons have an absurd attack range and will do extreme damage if they happen to see you. 

Cimerora can be a brutal place depending on the character. Inside the main palace walls in the center of the map are huge mobs of level 54 enemies, and all Cimerorans have -def in their attacks, which makes them pretty difficult to deal with.

Dark Astoria has the new and improved Banished Pantheon, which all have some pretty nasty debuffs with their attacks, in addition to buffing their allies. The whole zone is meant for incarnates, so it's a strictly level 50 and above zone.

Eden, as well as the villain version, the Abyss, has nothing but Devouring Earth giant monsters roaming the area. Giant monsters usually require teams to take down, so defeating one while solo would be a particularly difficult task, especially since they're rarely alone and like to clump together. Going into either of these zones unprepared will have you taking dirt naps quite frequently.

On the subject of difficult enemies, while not confined to any one zone, there's a few enemy groups that can be pretty devastating to players. Malta have their sappers, gunslingers, and giant robots. The Carnival of Shadows likes to suck all of your endurance away with every defeat, and the bosses do some pretty nasty psionic damage and debuffs. Vanguard, while very rarely fought, are nasty pieces of work, stacking -res in all of their attacks, and having an absolutely sadistic debuff called "Curse of Weariness" which cuts your maximum endurance in half for a significant amount of time.

Those are all the really tough challenges I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there's more, and different groups can be more or less challenging depending on your build and playstyle, but that's my personal experience with difficult zones and enemies.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

My vote for most difficult places are the Discord and Beta Server. I kid I kid.

In seriousness though, there are some Tankers who make a point to solo some pretty amazing things. I am not among them, but I recall them posting times for soloing TFs and the like somewhere. I imagine that is pretty difficult, or at least time consuming.

All the above largely comes down to what sets/AT you're looking at.  The difficulty of Cimerorans vs Rularuu for an SR compared to Willpower is quite different.  Nevermind running a Controller or other Support AT vs Cimerorans when compared to Malta ... Cimerorans just don't use mez (induce cascade failure and hit like trucks yes, mez no), Malta on the otherhand.  Incarnate content like in DA or Cimerora is no joke but hey it's Incarnate.  Outside of the already mentioned run a mission featuring Vanguard/Vanguard Sword.  Lots of +to hit auto powers used (including a PBAoE Tactics variant), up to +30% in total value along with atypical damage types (cold, psi come to mind).  They were a rude surprise vs my Claws/SR the first time they were encountered.

EDIT:  @GastlyGibussorry not sure how I glossed over your post.  You pretty much said everything i did including a bit about the Vanguard.   Consider my post a "This^"

Edited by Doomguide2005