Speedy vs Regular (Players forcing Speedy Runs on Regular Teams Needs to End)

Solarverse

15 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Unbelievable! So what if I joined a Speedy and discovered some way to slow it down and did so even though it was advertised as Speedy, then when the leader complains that I am slowing it down, my response is, "You can't tell me how to play, I play Slow and you can't expect others to play the way you want them to."

Kick and move on.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Speed runs are becoming my pet peeve, after signing up for a couple of different runs of something, only to find out it's a speed run after starting.  I mean geez, does anyone even play the game anymore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Speed runs are becoming my pet peeve, after signing up for a couple of different runs of something, only to find out it's a speed run after starting.  I mean geez, does anyone even play the game anymore?

If they don’t advertise it as speed and then say it is before starting, I drop and let them know I’m not interested.

If they start it and I suddenly find out it’s speed, I usually just lag behind doing my own thing.

Let them run off like a crazy person.  I’m not following.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

If it is clearly communicated ahead of time, and I agree to that by requesting to join the team, then I only have myself to blame if I do not like that it is a speed run.  If it isn't communicated AND I don't ask, then it's kinda 50-50.  If it isn't advertised, but I do ask, and I stay, that's entirely on me.  I must say, though, that a "speed run" is no less playing than any other form - just because I don't want to sped an hour or more on a single TF doesn't mean I'm not still playing for an equal amount of time or in any less legitimate way...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Speed runs are just another way to play the game and equally valid.  Knowing the objectives and how best to complete them quickly can be fun.  So long as the TF leader communicates the expectations, everyone should have fun playing their way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see them more as evidence that people are growing bored with the game, plus the usual "I want it all now and without having to do much work for it" but so it goes.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 hours ago, JasperStone said:

This seems to be a thread that expresses disdain for speed runs...

and

normal runs....

NO MORE TFS!

I'm not even sure how to respond to that without getting banned from the forums...so that is the best you'll get out of me.

4 hours ago, Psi-bolt said:

Speed runs are just another way to play the game and equally valid.  Knowing the objectives and how best to complete them quickly can be fun.  So long as the TF leader communicates the expectations, everyone should have fun playing their way.

The primary issue is that one type of play style has an element of players within that play style community that infringes upon another. I don't think players who are among the "Play it normal" group has ever infringed upon a Speed Run group. The other issue is that people who do this, who go on regular runs and try to push Speed Runs, actually tell me that people who Speed Run are the majority and people like me are actually infringing upon them by not doing Task Forces Speedy, even though it is a Task Force team that I put together. It's very emboldened and very arrogant.  I was even told that I should be thanking him...yeah, with a broomstick up his rear.

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Clearly I do. If you play on Excelsior, add me. I go under the same name globally. My wife and I would be happy to have you along. I seem to be forming a friendship with a few like-minded players in game, so finding others who like to run missions at a bit of a challenge (not over the top, just...at least having some risk of dying) is slowly getting easier over time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Ahem! Indom since day 1 and until they turn off the lights. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Play according to how it is advertised or prepare to be kicked.

OR

If you choose to change parameters as we start be prepared for some departures.

I have experienced the latter more and more as of late.

"Mind if we go +2?" 1st mission pops up

"Mind if we go +4" 1st mission pops up

I did say this early on.

I have never had your experience.

The PUGS I have joined have followed the advertised opportunity 

except when they are changed once things start

• Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

I am occasionally guilty of moving on to the next group ahead of the bulk of the team.  But I do that because I otherwise have to either hold back in the use of my powers, look around for a non-dead critter, or leave everyone else looking for a non-dead critter.  That all depends on the team and the critters, of course.

I might even run to the end room out of habit, but then I ask if I should ATT, finish it, or wait and then will comply.

I do recall once on live joining a Synapse team with a friend of mine and a few other folks we didn't know but they seemed to know each other.  We wanted to speed at least through certain parts, Like Bertha.  There are lots of kill all missions in Synapse already.  They insisted that every single thing needed to be killed.  We asked if we could meet some accommodation in the middle; they were not interested.  So we quit, restarted as a duo, and finished before them.  We played our way, they played theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

I did say this early on.

I have never had your experience.

The PUGS I have joined have followed the advertised opportunity 

except when they are changed once things start

Then why say. "This seems to be a thread that expresses disdain for speed runs...?"

To be crystal clear. I don't give a damn what anyone else does on their teams that they build. What they do is their own business. Just because I don't like to do "speedy" runs doesn't mean I have some sort of real disdain towards them. Sure, I can't stand speed running and I despise speed running...as in myself. However, what others do is on them, regardless if I agree with it or not.

Now, what I do have disdain for is when somebody joins my team that is advertised as a normal run then they attempt to slick by and make a straight b-line to the boss at the end in an attempt to turn a regular run in to a speed run. Even worse, is that at one point this person (who was a Tank) even pulled the entire first floor after going around the corner of a Posi 2 and herded the entire area. That was 4 mobs, in an attempt to get the rest of us killed in retaliation. The attempt failed miserably...not a single player died despite the mission not being set on +0 but +1 instead. This was the mentality I was dealing with. The guy and his buddy were complete jerks.

This is not some thread all about bashing speed runners, even though I am not a fan, didn't buy those tickets, but if I wanted to bash speed runners, trust me, I make no reservations about saying what I think and meaning it. If I did want to post a thread that is about bashing what others do on their own teams, I would. That is not what this thread is about and I stand by that.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

The most fun I had on a TF was an ITF I led, advertised as "World's Slowest ITF."

Wound up with a mellow, quippy crew, some of whom even became friends.

I'd say your runner was a rude, stubborn jerk!

But the whole damn world seems to be suffering from a plague of rude, stubborn jerks! 

ITF does lend itself for some fun teams.    Did a Chaos run with everyone doing tons of KB.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, lemming said:

ITF does lend itself for some fun teams.    Did a Chaos run with everyone doing tons of KB.

As much as I absolutely hate knock back, I must admit, that sounds extremely fun!   🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Clearly I do. If you play on Excelsior, add me. I go under the same name globally. My wife and I would be happy to have you along. I seem to be forming a friendship with a few like-minded players in game, so finding others who like to run missions at a bit of a challenge (not over the top, just...at least having some risk of dying) is slowly getting easier over time.

Don't mind if I do!

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

On 9/27/2023 at 1:28 AM, Solarverse said:

This whole Speedy thing is starting to spew in to regular teams and it is creating a straight up toxic environment.

My recommendation is, if you have a particular play style in mind for your activity, announce it when recruiting your team. Announce it again once the full team is there before you start that activity. Once the activity has started, if people violate your restrictions, gently remind them zero or more times “as seems appropriate”. And if that fails, boot them. Your team, your rules, no apologies necessary. 

Fortunately, this isn’t a Holy Trinity game, and no one teammate is indispensable. 😉

I’ll note that you seem surprised that other people might assume speedy style, when it’s not specified as nonspeedy/killAll/killMost. Maybe instead of just assuming your preferred play style is the default, you’d get better results if you specified what you wanted up front?

That being said, you seem inclined to let your biases try to justify your claims that other play styles create a toxic environment. By your own admission, most of the time, teammates gracefully respect your style requests when you ask/remind them. A more plausible case can be made for you inviting an inconsiderate player to your team and happening to stumble across one of his triggers. I.E., rude players gonna rude. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, ZekeStenzland said:

My recommendation is, if you have a particular play style in mind for your activity, announce it when recruiting your team. Announce it again once the full team is there before you start that activity. Once the activity has started, if people violate your restrictions, gently remind them zero or more times “as seems appropriate”. And if that fails, boot them. Your team, your rules, no apologies necessary. 

Fortunately, this isn’t a Holy Trinity game, and no one teammate is indispensable. 😉

I’ll note that you seem surprised that other people might assume speedy style, when it’s not specified as nonspeedy/killAll/killMost. Maybe instead of just assuming your preferred play style is the default, you’d get better results if you specified what you wanted up front?

That being said, you seem inclined to let your biases try to justify your claims that other play styles create a toxic environment. By your own admission, most of the time, teammates gracefully respect your style requests when you ask/remind them. A more plausible case can be made for you inviting an inconsiderate player to your team and happening to stumble across one of his triggers. I.E., rude players gonna rude. 

Just for the record, I do all of those things except on Synapse and Citadel, where most missions are kill all anyway. I also advertise the levels we will be running them as.  So anyone who joins my teams and pulls that crap actually is creating a toxic atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Then why say. "This seems to be a thread that expresses disdain for speed runs...?"

To be crystal clear. I don't give a damn what anyone else does on their teams that they build. What they do is their own business. Just because I don't like to do "speedy" runs doesn't mean I have some sort of real disdain towards them. Sure, I can't stand speed running and I despise speed running...as in myself. However, what others do is on them, regardless if I agree with it or not.

Now, what I do have disdain for is when somebody joins my team that is advertised as a normal run then they attempt to slick by and make a straight b-line to the boss at the end in an attempt to turn a regular run in to a speed run. Even worse, is that at one point this person (who was a Tank) even pulled the entire first floor after going around the corner of a Posi 2 and herded the entire area. That was 4 mobs, in an attempt to get the rest of us killed in retaliation. The attempt failed miserably...not a single player died despite the mission not being set on +0 but +1 instead. This was the mentality I was dealing with. The guy and his buddy were complete jerks.

This is not some thread all about bashing speed runners, even though I am not a fan, didn't buy those tickets, but if I wanted to bash speed runners, trust me, I make no reservations about saying what I think and meaning it. If I did want to post a thread that is about bashing what others do on their own teams, I would. That is not what this thread is about and I stand by that.

Because humor doesn't translate.

and you seem overly ... angry.

I am confused... is this one experience or multiple.

If it is one ...let it go.

I reflect on TPN where someone was obviously not looking at chat and ruined a badge chase it for us.

If it is multiple then you are making bad choices.

If it is you as the leader ...boot them and be done.

Be accountable as the leader.

If you are not the leader.

Be accountable and leave.

This has come up a few times in the forums.

• Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

7 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Because humor doesn't translate.

and you seem overly ... angry.

I am confused... is this one experience or multiple.

If it is one ...let it go.

I reflect on TPN where someone was obviously not looking at chat and ruined a badge chase it for us.

If it is multiple then you are making bad choices.

If it is you as the leader ...boot them and be done.

Be accountable as the leader.

If you are not the leader.

Be accountable and leave.

This has come up a few times in the forums.

So spreading awareness about it is wrong...I see. Sorry, I'm not that passive.

7 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

So spreading awareness about it is wrong...I see. Sorry, I'm not that passive.

Awareness?

EVERYONE experiences this.

Have you searched the forums?

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

ALL OF US have had one or more at some point.

Passive? Hardly.

I am aggressive in sticking with people I know when doing things in game.

I aggressively accept the consequences of running things with people  I don't know. Especially when I need/want a badge/accolade

Have you run Cavern with noobs? It can be ... interesting

What did this post do.

Again this topic has been topic about ... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

/e poofgone

11 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Awareness?

EVERYONE experiences this.

Have you searched the forums?

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

ALL OF US have had one or more at some point.

Passive? Hardly.

I am aggressive in sticking with people I know when doing things in game.

I aggressively accept the consequences of running things with people  I don't know. Especially when I need/want a badge/accolade

Have you run Cavern with noobs? It can be ... interesting

What did this post do.

Again this topic has been topic about ... 

There's always somebody like you who replies with these types of comments. I figured it was a matter of time. For the most part this thread was supportive. I knew it wouldn't last because there is always somebody who wants to be forum police. Congrats, you won the day. Done with ya, dude. Go to another thread and start shit, I'm not biting anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

There's always somebody like you who replies with these types of comments. I figured it was a matter of time. For the most part this thread was supportive. I knew it wouldn't last because there is always somebody who wants to be forum police. Congrats, you won the day. Done with ya, dude. Go to another thread and start shit, I'm not biting anymore.

These types of copmments?

Always somebody like me? 

Forum Police? 

I shared my opinion. 

A year ago I walked into a field to take my life because so many people were telling how worthless I was.

Maybe you are right. 

I just don't matter at all.

You win.

• Confused 1

/e poofgone