Are people leaving?

wjrasmussen

It's been my anecdotal gut feeling it's thinned some when the holidays started, yeah.  There's the usual holiday sapping of interest and time, maybe some people got a tad burned out during Halloween like I did (I always over indulge :P), and then the span of time between updates too I figure isn't helping either. 

I may be wrong.  We'll see after the new year starts up and especially when the new patch drops.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Ehh not really. Holiday season usually means less traffic, plus people take breaks. Coh is in an alright spot. Now when that proc nerf hits though…jk it’ll probably be fine then too

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Yes ... & no .

Gaming communities are transient, always have been. But exponentially more so the older and the wider that gaming media evolves. This game has it's devotees, some stay without a break. Others I have seen take 6 months or a year out. Now that gaming is so vast and we all get new shinys for festivities they are bound to draw some from our established community for a while, for good or for a minute.

Social obligations are brought with the Winter solstice which means less expendable time for personal activities. But rest assured, already people are beckoning for the Valentines event and when that happens more will return.

9 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

It feels to me like people I have known since Homecoming opened are not around anymore.  Have people been leaving the past couple of months?  Are they going elsewhere?  If so, what game are they going to?

No.  I have them safely stored.   
image.jpeg.f6357b0c5c60f12f067faa8d1da2da91.jpeg

• Haha 14

12 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

It feels to me like people I have known since Homecoming opened are not around anymore.  Have people been leaving the past couple of months?  Are they going elsewhere?  If so, what game are they going to?

I'm not sure how polite or empathic is to bring it up, but ...

We are an aging community.

Some of us are pretty up there and some of the younger of us have exited as well.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/70-fallen-but-not-forgotten/

Some may never show up in that thread when they exit. They will simply no longer login and noone will know what happened to them one way or the other.

• Sad 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

46 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Some may never show up in that thread when they exit. They will simply no longer login and noone will know what happened to them one way or the other.

As is the inevitable destination for ourselves and everyone we know. For example - how many normal people are known from 1000 years ago. One of my favourite quotes is "life, nobody gets out alive." I have zero idea why people avoid the issue which connects each of us to the other. And because it does I have every idea how valuable life is to myself and you. If more people knew it, our world would be a better place. One thing is for sure, if I make my small part of it a better place, well, that's a start. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Water said:

As is the inevitable destination for ourselves and everyone we know. For example - how many normal people are known from 1000 years ago. One of my favourite quotes is "life, nobody gets out alive." I have zero idea why people avoid the issue which connects each of us to the other. And because it does I have every idea how valuable life is to myself and you. If more people knew it, our world would be a better place. One thing is for sure, if I make my small part of it a better place, well, that's a start. 

You can always, like myself, choose (be invited?) to join the undead community.  Technically you still will not make it out “alive,” and there tends to be a lot of “dues” to be paid from the new community members.  But you will still be around.  Sort of.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Water said:

For example - how many normal people are known from 1000 years ago. One of my favourite quotes is "life, nobody gets out alive."

well, I've been known to say ..

You're only immortal until you die.

55 minutes ago, Water said:

One thing is for sure, if I make my small part of it a better place, well, that's a start. 

I'm on that team as well. Thanks for teaming up.

• Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Now when that proc nerf hits though…

I've been hearing talk of this for like two years now, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

It's normal for this time of year to see a downtrend in activity, especially during earlier hours of the day.  Aside from that, the overall population has been stable between older players leaving and newer players joining.  I'm still seeing the expected attendance in my daily content but most of the globals I'm seeing now are from 2021 and 2022.  The 2019-2020 attendees that I used to see regularly are often absent from the game now (except for a small set that entertains themselves via infinite numbers of badgers).

Usually the holiday downtrend fixes itself by the third week of January, but I think new content typically drops around that time anyways and drums up interest.  I guess we'll find out!

• Like 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

I'm mostly on a break as I am working on getting back into reading. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Yes people leave all the time sometimes they come back sometimes new people just fill there spot. I have proably 100 people on my global I have not seen in years. Outher left when farming got nerfed and just never got back here.  

This year its probably that balders hate game hit after Oct I think and then you where into the holidays 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 5:04 AM, wjrasmussen said:

It's true that some of the people I played with when I first joined in 2019 are gone but I am happy to report I've seen a few "Hi, I'm new" in General Chat this month. I even helped a few new redsiders with their Patron missions.  

People come and go like any game. Judging from the fact we seem to be meeting our donation windows every month, that's also signs we have a community that cares (but we really should do more with advertising this awesome classic MMO to the masses!)

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself, but I've barely had ten spare minutes in a row together since early in October....

The period between Halloween and New Years is CrazyBusyLikeWhoa time in the food bank world. (Seriously. We get between half and two-thirds of our TOTAL annual material donations from food drives that happen around the holidays. That puts sorting crews like mine into serious over-time mode just to keep up and distribute everything-) 

Put the usual holiday social obligations, gift searching and all that into the mix, too, and there's just not a lot left for gaming. Or much of anything else. 

With luck, things will slow down some in January and we... the busy, the time-constrained, the absent due to Real Life... will have time to wander back into the City again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

17 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

since my regular playtime is about 4am est.

I can honestly say

I have no idea

its a graveyard at that time lol

Are you sure you're playing City of Heroes or are you in Snarky's "living" room?

• Haha 6

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.