Are people leaving?

wjrasmussen

On 12/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, kelika2 said:

More bodies to fill task forces at all hours of the day for the most part.  My playtime fluctuates constantly and trying to form a wst when a ship/hami is forming or late at night even on Excel takes time.

And this is the first time I ever heard of someone thinking of quitting because there were too many people in an online game.

things tend to fill pretty well on excelsior - i’m an EU player and am generally online between 5pm - 7pm EST, i expect things get a bit busier after this but seems popular enough to do any TF or trial

i find the community not too bad on excelsior either, i think it gets a bad rep. i often see people who i’ve been bumping into since spring 2019

On 12/29/2023 at 8:13 PM, kelika2 said:

I do not understand the "quieter experience" part.

Reasonable.  But you don't have to understand it to acknowledge that some people feel very differently from you.  They WANT the 'quieter experience', regardless of whether you understand their motivation or not.

As for the "toxic" thing id probably just dismiss it due to how broad the accusations are.

I see.  It's a widespread issue, but you would "just dismiss it".

And to answer your question, all MMOs from live servers to private servers being on a smaller pop server was never attractive because of limited access to dungeons, instances and whatever other group content is there.

Wow!  Totally wrong!  Just flat-out factually incorrect.  Some MMOs (notably The Secret World, in my experience) DELIBERATELY spread people out across many smaller shards in order to create an atmosphere of desertion and isolation.  This is a key design choice of the game.  Accordingly, there is no content that requires more than five people - no Hami or Mothership raids or 8, 12, 16, 24-person trials.  So, 'not all MMOs'.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

32 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Reasonable.  But you don't have to understand it to acknowledge that some people feel very differently from you.  They WANT the 'quieter experience', regardless of whether you understand their motivation or not.

Its not so much motivation as much as what it is.  If you stick your nose to the grindstone and hit up instanced mission after instanced mission you will have a hard time running into anyone else.  And if you avoid others then you will avoid being in chats as there is no reason for said soloists to be in them, making them a non-issue.

42 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Some MMOs (notably The Secret World, in my experience) DELIBERATELY spread people out across many smaller shards in order to create an atmosphere of desertion and isolation.

I do not know The Secret Worlds mechanics or anything about it to comment on that.  But it is common for new MMOs to splinter off the higher pop servers only because of lag, extreme fighting for non-instanced spawns/resources.

Didn't leave, though I've taken a low-key role of late.  Real life needs do that to you.  I have also branched out to try several other games.  While it also reduces my time in CoH, it's a tried-and-true method for preventing burnout and leaving forever.

4 hours ago, blue4333 said:

nostalgia can only sustain this game for so long

Ultima Online has survived for over two decades on nostalgia. I'd wager that, with so few updates and an interface from the stone ages, nostalgia is its greatest asset. So nostalgia is a powerful engine.

But nostalgia isn't the only thing that makes this game run. It's an enjoyable casual game with unique mechanics and an awesome dedicated player base.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blue4333 said:

not like when we were kids eh? Nostalgia would keep us going for millennia. Kids nowadays... no staying power. Pssshhhhhht

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I mostly pop in for a month or two at a time when new updates or events happen, although I've been away more this year than last.  I keep track of the Announcements page here on the forum to see what new is going on (updates or events).  I hadn't noticed they don't announce the events, and the last week of Oct, after seeing nothing about Halloween this year (I was specifically checking to see if they fixed that bug that made AVs show up when soloing trick-or-treating), I logged in anyway and the event was indeed going on.  Finally someone told me that the devs don't make announcements in the forum or the launcher for events, so I definitely know I missed the spring and summer event last year.  For the just-ended winter event, I knew to start checking in early Dec to see if it was live, and I was online playing a lot through the holidays. 

There seems to be no place that the seasonal events are announced, just a "guess-and-check" method which assumes players already know about the events and when to expect them.  That's not "new player" friendly, it's not "old player with limited gametime" friendly, and it's a part of why I haven't check back in sooner.

Edited to add:  that last part came off more critical than I meant it too.  Given the volunteer nature of it all, what we have is great. 

D

Edited by stonehd
  • Like 1

I'm still lurking.  I burned myself out over the summer I think so I've stepped back.  I still have ideas and concepts every so often though and sometimes I look to see if they'll work but for now i'm just doing other stuff.  My free time is limited so I gotta put it where I want to put it, you know?

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

12 hours ago, blue4333 said:

This game?  The game which people played for eight years on the original servers and seven years in the shadows, and are still playing five years after it went public again?

Yeah...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:30 AM, blue4333 said:

Which is why many let their kids watch over the shoulder.  Build the nostalgia factor into each successive generation and a game becomes practically immortal.

• Like 1

Yes, they're leaving. They're leaving Atlas Park jam packed with 2 instances! They're leaving redside busier than even back on Live. They're leaving me with whiplash trying to spy a team forming for what I'd like to do while watching LFG zip by at mach 5. Whoooole lotta leaving going on. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

Can't wait for the backlash now of "can we get these people to leave already?!"  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 1/6/2024 at 10:08 AM, Doomguide2005 said:

Well I'd say this thread fits the word IRONY just a tad presently.

It's pretty heartening to see all the people around. It's like the good old days, lol. 

• Like 3

• Game Master
On 1/6/2024 at 6:08 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Well I'd say this thread fits the word IRONY just a tad presently.

You know how when you read something and know something they don't know, then laugh?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Moose 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Microphone 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:48 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

People are leaving in their droves.

They're leaving other games to come back home!

Yeah, and I am about to start a thread about too many people are playing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!