The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #61: What costume pieces do you love to use - or love but cannot find a use for?

There are so many costume pieces.  Some are very generic and some are very specific.  Unless I am making a firefighter I cannot find a use for the firefighter helmet.

So what are your go to costume pieces that you use on a lot of characters and what pieces do you love but can't find an excuse to use them?

• Like 1

Carnival of Light Boots.  I love them.  Kind of crave them in RL 🙂 Every one of my female characters has at least one costume slot with them.  So Secksi and I always imagine them being suede or perhaps Velour Kif.  Dual holster belts for every DP toon (all 6 of them).  Galactic Googles.  Vanguard back thingie I use for a catch all jump/jet pack explanation for SJ/fly.  Keyhole top appears on a lot of my toons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Some of the stuff like Mecha Armor and Black Knight have a shiny texture that can make them hard to use with many of the older, flatter-colored pieces so sometimes it feels like "all or nothing" with them. I wish that either the shiny stuff had options for matte/flat textures, or the older stuff had shiny options, similar to how some stuff like chains and skulls have metallic or basic options. 

I wish that the Cosmic Corsair backpack's armored color had an alternate version that was lowered a bit, because if you try to use it with tights or such it will be just floating way above your collar area and it looks wonky. 

I wish armored chests in general had more chest detail and shoulder pieces because sometimes it feels like tight chests can create a bulkier feel by using certain pieces like Black Knight that aren't available when you're "armored." 

The Mechanical Claw feet should have an in-between medium option. The small version looks like a robotic goat or something, while the large version looks too goofy. 

Edited by FupDup
  • Like 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

1 hour ago, FupDup said:

I wish armored chests in general had more chest detail and shoulder pieces because sometimes it feels like tight chests can create a bulkier feel by using certain pieces like Black Knight that aren't available when you're "armored."

This is a point, a lot of the special geometry options could use a look by the devs.  I think also the sleeveless jackets option has very few choices for gloves allowed, when it could easily have many more.

I think many of the Tech Knight pieces I find hard to integrate into other costumes.  Except the gloves, which are great.

Some of the imperial dynasty pieces can also be tough to use (esp. #2, which has the pants and the lion head piece).

Celestial Boots are like wth?

The body pieces from Fire and Ice need more relief.  They're just flat on the basic body.  I realize this might be a tech limitation (they're just textures), but I think that's what the deal is with them for me.

It's the Wonderful Windup Wings for me.  They're so neat-looking, but I've rarely had a character concept that could use them properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

13 hours ago, Techwright said:

I'm also rather fond of the scarf option under capes, and combat boots, smooth.

Do you make an alternate costume which is the same except with the goggles pushed up on the forehead?

Hard to answer because, if I loved it, I'd likely use it. But I'm guessing it's due to the types of characters I play. I think all the magical stuff, including the witch's peak, and things like jester hats and such are cool, but I'm always running tech/natural origin, and most of the time semi-serious. The mime-turned-vigilante just won't work for me (although...if I ran as a villain, all bets are off).:-)

I'll go with wings as something I'm impressed with, but don't use much. I think I have exactly one toon with them, and he's a sort of armored paladin-type, and one of my very few magic origin characters. I'm always wishing I could fold them away, though, when not in use.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I have used and abused and overused the pumpkinhead.  I like the few spikier, messier looking hair options.  I've used a lot of cat-heads and cat-ears looks.  Shredded capes are boss.  I like animal legs sometimes.  Tails are fun, not too big on hats but hoods are nice.  I also over-use the Banished Pantheon auras, still can't make the floating lanterns work well for me though, but I love the idea.

I in general dislike how the game leans heavily into the super-power-armored look, like 70% of the options are some kind of wildly large power armor gloves or whatever, so I often don't go that rout.  Same thing seems to apply to the array of goggles, I end up going with the same one or two usually.  Love the idea of the brain-in-a-tank but just have not been able to make it work for me for some reason, like, ever.  I don't like toons that look like Rob Liefeld bloated monsters.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have used the Cot and Ascension pieces probably too much that I have a self imposed embargo on them for new costumes. The only way past that embargo would be if the character concept didn't work any other way.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

On 1/4/2024 at 2:46 PM, DougGraves said:

So what are your go to costume pieces that you use on a lot of characters

The round mask (Domino mask), fingerless gloves, and smooth shoulders. I probably use those three more than any other costume parts.

what pieces do you love but can't find an excuse to use them

Hard to answer that, because if I saw some costume part that I loved, I would figure out a character conception to utilize it.

So, yeah, if I "love" a costume part, I don't have an "excuse" not to use it.

Unless I am making a firefighter I cannot find a use for the firefighter helmet.

Seems like there are always fires to put out in Skyway.

I guess if I made a firefighter, I would want them to have ice or water powers as those are helpful in putting out fires ... even though I think there is a fire-axe weapon as well as I remember correctly.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I....I have a Disco bottoms problem. Either with or without skin, the pattern flows very nicely with a lot of tops I choose. Also full body tights.  And sleeves.

I do a lot of LSH homages, sooooooooo

Edited by Palabradot
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Modular pieces are my favorite.  Especially ones with multiple options for that area.  Building a robot or armored head from scratch you have so much flexibility.  Laying certain chest shoulder arm poe es brings the same joy.  I also love one-offs like the head in a jar.   Although you can still layer that with (just one) backpack piece.  Creates a neck guard ring.  Even though i do not love that backpack.  

I would dive hard back in if there were more costume parts you could layer and design your own look.  I am not great at it but i love trying 

On 1/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, UltraAlt said:

Seems like there are always fires to put out in Skyway.

Steel. Skyway has the troll raves.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Head > Animal Bird > Eagle.

It's a cool looking head and i've made a few animal based characters but i just don't like how the head fits with most costume pieces compared to the other animal/monster options unless you're making a pure eagle style character.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:51 AM, DougGraves said:

Do you make an alternate costume which is the same except with the goggles pushed up on the forehead?

Yes, I did that once.  But I'm more inclined to alter the goggle style.

I have this on going character bio theme where I imagine what I would be like if I had super powers. And mostly, I imagine I would not want a very super supername or costumey costume. So I use a lot of the plain pants, shoes, and shirts. And a lot with some random number on their chest as if it is a sportball player they are a fan of. 

The ones I really loved but long didnt use were various wings, jet packs, i.e. flying bits. If my character concept doesnt make sense for another travel power, or the build isnt so tight, I prefer fly. And I think the wings and such add to that experience. But I didnt feel like they made sense on most of my character…until I duhhhh remembered there are costume change macros. So now I have many flying characters that ‘put on’ their mech wings or jet pack when traveling.