Forgive me it's been 20 years since I played. Mutation/Blaster build

GanjaGamer501

Back when CoH was live I had a mutation/blaster villain that had excellent AoE and was just superb at hover shooting. I'm trying the same thing now but I'm noticing all blasters are pretty much fie or ice. Am I wasting my time? Should I start over and try one of the "Meta's"? Is anyone running this build yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braddack said:

*looks at his Sonic/ Sonic Blaster*

Na not all, just the noobs :D, sure Fire and ice are nice but not an must have. all Sets are viable , solo and in teams.

*Glances at his AR/Dev*

Like Braddock said.  Plus while one can debate the poor horse clean into the after life a well played character is never the wrong choice.

• Like 1

The only Blaster I have gotten to 50 is Water/temp. I did enjoy my Ice/ice on Live. I also got an En/en to 41 on Live until it died, and I was playing it hardcore.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 1/6/2024 at 9:50 AM, GanjaGamer501 said:

Back when CoH was live I had a mutation/blaster villain that had excellent AoE and was just superb at hover shooting. I'm trying the same thing now but I'm noticing all blasters are pretty much fie or ice. Am I wasting my time? Should I start over and try one of the "Meta's"? Is anyone running this build yet?

Mutation is your origin (which is superfluous) and Blaster is the AT... what are your powersets?  We'll be happy to share build advice.  All Blaster powersets are good and viable.  Like anything, some combos shine more than others, but all are worth playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome Home.

Just like 20 years ago, you don't have to play with the same toys that everyone else has.  I have resurrected some of my old blaster builds, carefully modified to enjoy some new changes to CoH.  I have also started some new builds.  Play around and find what fits you.  Then you can tweek it with the help and suggestions of others.  Or you can start with someone else's build and modify it to suit you.  There are many builds in the guides to use as starting points.  I like starting with a JJDrakken's Random Build and modifying it for my play style and character's theme.

I am currently playing Rad/Atomic/Mace, Elect/Elect/Mace, and Energ/Elect/Elect Blasters.

Welcome home, your room is as you left it, the house now has central air and heat.

I put down carpet, dinner is at six. There are pots of coffee and tea in the kitchen on warmers if you want any.

Like others have said, Blaster is your AT, Mutation is your origin (What enhancements you may use)

I have plenty of blasters: I have a 50 energy/energy/energy Relucent who I remade here.

I have a fire/fire/mace, a fire/temporal/mace, a water/energy, a water/temporal, an rad/atomic, an energy/atomic, , a wind/iforgethersecondary, a sonic/sonic, a sonic/ma, a dual pistols/ma, a dp/temporal, an ice/ice, a double psionic...

So much to choose from, and blasters aren't even my primary loves, it's Brutes, Stalkers, Tanks, Scrappers, and THEN blasters!

Edited by Amaterasu
  • Thanks 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 2

3 hours ago, Amaterasu said:

Welcome home, your room is as you left it, the house now has central air and heat.

Is this a subliminal pitch for Storm/Fire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

welcome home

I avoid the Metas

Ive tried all the blasters

I prefer cold on corrupters

The unerfed AR really brings back old memories

Heck even arrows/arrows is really really good (seriously)

the only 1 I cant figure out yet is seismic, its too visually noisy for my tastes but ymmv

stick around for awhile, we have cookies 

unless @Snarky ate them all again

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen
typos
  • Banjo 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

On 1/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, Sovera said:

Fire is just the strongest. All others work, but strongest? Fire.

Check my signature for tips if it's been that long.

people will also say that although fire has the highest damage, it has no secondary effect

these people are incorrect however, the secondary effect is death

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

the only 1 I cant figure out yet is seismic, its too visually noisy for my tastes but ymmv

I have a Seismic/Plant and yes, visually noisy, but Meteor is one of the most entertaining powers.  Especially slotted for KB and punting Hellions & Skulls in Perez

• Haha 1

From I2 until the end, all I really played were melee toons. But I just recently rolled a Sonic/Atomic blaster (Disco Kryptonite) to try something new, and am having an absolute blast (that's a pun) playing him. I have no idea if that power combo is considered "good", but I do know it's hella "fun". Especially when I throw in some light roleplaying. So I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to sweat the power combos, just hit the streets and have some fun. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:26 PM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

One of my favorite blasters is my seis/seis, Lots of smashing and shakey and crystal death!

I have a lot of Blasters and most of them are 50's and I still play them with a great deal of frequency.  They each provide me with different play experience vectors, though my selections tend to follow certain personal patterns.

DP/MC

DP/RAD

DP/NIN

SON/SON

ARCH/TA (49)

STORM/RAD (44)

ICE/ICE

WATER/TIME

SEIS/EARTH

NRG/SON (20)

NRG/ICE

PSI/MENT (48)

DARK/DARK

AR/DEV

In most cases with the Blasters is that I have fun with them.  Psi is as close to being a hateful character as they come and likely will be deleted.  NRG/ICE does not fill me with joy but exists because I was re-creating my original High Beam from live.  I seemed to have more fun with her then than now, that's why I am re-invisioning her as the NRG/SON.  Other Blast sets I play on other AT's (Sentinels - Beam, Rad, Fire).

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 1/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, Amaterasu said:

I put down carpet, dinner is at six. There are pots of coffee and tea in the kitchen on warmers if you want any.

Don't forget - the rent has come down, way down! ;)

Game over man, game over!

10 hours ago, High_Beam said:

I have a lot of Blasters and most of them are 50's and I still play them with a great deal of frequency.  They each provide me with different play experience vectors, though my selections tend to follow certain personal patterns.

DP/MC

DP/RAD

DP/NIN

SON/SON

ARCH/TA (49)

STORM/RAD (44)

ICE/ICE

WATER/TIME

SEIS/EARTH

NRG/SON (20)

NRG/ICE

PSI/MENT (48)

DARK/DARK

AR/DEV

In most cases with the Blasters is that I have fun with them.  Psi is as close to being a hateful character as they come and likely will be deleted.  NRG/ICE does not fill me with joy but exists because I was re-creating my original High Beam from live.  I seemed to have more fun with her then than now, that's why I am re-invisioning her as the NRG/SON.  Other Blast sets I play on other AT's (Sentinels - Beam, Rad, Fire).

I also had a love/hate r/ship with blasters in the past, so played other ATs. But recently I wanted to try one again (deferred Stockholm syndrome?), so after doing a bit of research and looking at various options, I went with Dark/Ninjitsu, mostly for the theme, it also has the 'free' stealth+buff power and some other nice utility from Ninj. Fairly certain that Dark/Dark or even Dark/Temp would pair better with Dark primary, plus I could have just gotten stealth from the concealment pool, but here we are, just dinged 24 and feeling much less squishier and confident than soloing any other blaster in a looooong time. This is more for the OP than yourself of course. ;)

On Homecoming you get fast travel powers at 4th level and they are almost maxed out, so enjoy that! Don't forget to go to the P2W vendor left of the big statue in the starting area of Atlas City - she has all sorts of nice freebies :). Also, you can make a few mill influence trivially - there are a number of methods, yell out if you need a couple mill to kickstart you off, I'm @Nostromo online. Or drop your new hero's name here so I can email it to you in-game (I'm from down under so timezone cross-over with NA or EU is terrible).

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

On 1/10/2024 at 3:35 PM, MoonSheep said:

people will also say that although fire has the highest damage, it has no secondary effect

these people are incorrect however, the secondary effect is death

It's secondary is Burning DOT.

I think Ganja forgot where they posted.  They never said what their sets where.

I have my Elec Hover Blaster.  Its a beast at hit and run.

Then I have my Beam Rifle.  Fire support on sooooo many Cosmic council Master of Magisterium badge runs.  Fly around out of crackle range and never stop DPS