[OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for January 19th, 2024 - Issue 27, Page 7 - Build 1

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

I linked Galaxy Brains Blaster tests earlier in the thread and they're not even acknowledging they're wrong - the poster is beyond reason at this point and will disregard any evidence contrary to their opinion. 

Thanks for reposting that link. That was a really interesting read. I have a lowbie Water Blaster that I think needs some play time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't see a focused feedback thread for this, so I'll just put it here:

THANK YOU for adding more sets to AE!  I have some heretofore-unable-to-be-realized ideas that will be possible now.

Is there something special that has to be done with powersets before you add them to AE?  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I couldn't help but notice that the new sets in this Issue and some of the other newer sets (like Symphony Control) aren't in there....

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

• Developer
48 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

I didn't see a focused feedback thread for this, so I'll just put it here:

THANK YOU for adding more sets to AE!  I have some heretofore-unable-to-be-realized ideas that will be possible now.

Is there something special that has to be done with powersets before you add them to AE?  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I couldn't help but notice that the new sets in this Issue and some of the other newer sets (like Symphony Control) aren't in there....

The prerequisite for a set existing in AE, due to how the backend spaghetti code works, is that it must be available as a player set first. The goal was to add all the missing (non-epic-archetype) sets to Architect Entertainment; if you are finding some missing, please report it as a bug and we'll look into it. To your specific callout, Symphony Control should already be available in AE.

• Thanks 2

Loving the Ancillary/Epic Power Pool updates! 

Will we see more additions to round out themes? (Looking at you Psychic Mastery for Blasters 😉

Loving all the updates too! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Hmm Arsenal Control? Cool idea, but doesn't really make sense in my opinion to carry around a gun just to shoot a variety of crowd control abilities, I think what would have made more sense would have been "Device Control". To have a variety or gizmos and gadgets that inflict crowd control effects, this would have made sense for using immobilize such as "Web/net Grenade" for immobilize and cryo pistol ray for a hold and so on and so forth. The current line up of abilities for the Arsenal Control seem out of place and many of the powers do little to no damage, even for a control set. The dps related gun drone pet that, from the description seems to be entirely focused on ranged lethal damage and has no CC to further the control aspect of controllers and dominators, many of the other controller/dominator pets at least have some CC of their own. This is the first power set that I think honestly needs a complete work-over already. Sorry but just my honest opinion.

I'm hoping that in the future, alternate animations can be selected.  Like how Martial Arts has some more boxing-themed fist animations to replace all the kicks.  It would be nice to have the gun options and a separate set of thrown grenades.  The main one that would be an issue for that is the Cryo Freeze Ray.  I'm not sure how much work it would take to map the particle effects onto a pistol or a wrist-fired blast.

I also like how they've experimented with mutually exclusive powers in the Sentinel Super Reflexes set.  You could pick Master Brawler or Practiced Brawler, the latter being the same old mez protection buff all other SR sets have, but Master Brawler upgraded your defensive toggles permanently in exchange for being vulnerable to those control effects.  You couldn't take both, and they unlocked at the same level.  This could be used for sets like Arsenal Control that have really broad power fantasies and power options.  Like, if Taser Dart was a possible Energy damage alternative to Cryo Freeze Ray that still provides a hold effect but with a different, less gun-themed aesthetic.  Pick one single-target hold, and the other becomes inaccessible.  Honestly, a lot of power sets could benefit from this, but again, I'm not entirely sure how much programming work it would take to implement.

I was loving the new Arsenal sets, though apparently I just don't like playing Dominators, lol.  I'll probably go with an Arsenal/Traps Controller when it goes live.  I'm hoping we can get non-gun versions of all the powers though.  Controllers don't get a secondary set with assault rifle mechanics, so pulling out a gun just for non-lethal things seems a tad strange.  If I could just THROW various grenades, or fire a sleep dart from my wrist, or shoot the freeze ray from a pistol, I think it would make the set much less limiting to build characters around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And just out of curiosity, is there a reason the new Dark Mastery power sets will come with Murky Cloud instead of Dark Embrace?  Most of the sets come with your smashing/lethal protection toggle, as that tends to be the most common damage received from all enemies regardless of faction.  Is this to better synergize with Fighting -> Tough?

I do love the overall changes to streamline, balance, and standardize Ancillary Pools though.  Just curious about the thought process behind Murky Cloud. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Indystruck said:

Why does everyone hold up Castle's cottage rule as a shining beacon to follow and then we all turn around and rightly dumpster on him for his PVP changes, anyway?

1. The cottage rule is simply a guideline.

'An existing power will not have its core functionality and purpose changed, though its strength may be altered and effects secondary to the power's true purpose may be added or removed.'

"Seriously, it *is* a good policy -- it provides structure within which to do things. Without structure, there's chaos. How would you like it if tomorrow you logged in and, say, Build Up now built a small cottage at your chosen location, instead of adding to your damage? It's a silly example, admittedly, but it's to prevent such wholesale changes from happening. I *could* overturn it, in specific cases, if it were truly needed, but in the case being discussed here, it is not truly needed. There are MANY options that have been discussed that do not involve changing the core use of the power."

I hope this helps. It's a good guideline.

• Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"Male, Huge:

• Lower Body > Boots (All) > "Victorian Steampunk (Legacy)" was added to restore previous tinting appearance."

I love you long time! Seriously, thank you for adding this feature back!

P.S. Is it possible to have a non-reflective matte style color version? The reason being, before it was that style version. Also, for sake and purposes, it really matched other Spectrum costume parts of being quite dark and non-reflective.

Edited by Voltixdark

@The Curator Is there a deadline for testing? I recall there being a seemingly productive conversation regarding Storm Blast in the Page 6 Open Beta that was cut short when an undisclosed deadline was reached. It threw some folks for a loop. If there is a publishing deadline for this Page, I, as a tester, would find it useful to know.

Edited by The Chairman
Directing question at person who started thread.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:07 PM, The Curator said:

Epic > Fire Mastery > Bonfire (Blaster/Mastermind) - Knockdown rate has been reduced while using KB2KD enhancements

This is also impacting Bonfire from Fire Control for controller and dominator, its a skip power now. Low damage, very low chance of knockdown with kb2kd slotted, scatters enemies (not ideal for "control").

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

visual problems with costume customization...

ritiki blasters are too huge, they should be sized down to better fit with characters, and they look like plastic toys while holstered,

crossbows  are only available for dual pistol users and they look horrible while holstered, the bow limb tips hook under a characters butt, instead they should be centered on the sides of a belt and facing the same direction of holstered pistols, speed firing them is ridiculous, and should be silent only, plus should have slower reloading animations,

if characters wear the sibils costume , holstered weapons or equipment/ backpacks etc  badly conflict with it or just will not be available,  such as...wearing the sibils costume locks characters into roman mode,  the romen belt is the only one available with it,  no dual pistols belt or any other type of belt, holstered/ shoulder slung weapons are available but look like they are under the robes instead of on top ,  archery quivers are not available while in roman mode...   

for arachnos characters it is not recommended to holster weapons with the crab backpack, especially while wearing the sibils costume...

shield users can not holster  or sling carry their shields, no doubt due to copyright issues ...

ritiki blaster/rifle is way too huge with the crey pistol animation

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troo said:

1. The cottage rule is simply a guideline.

'An existing power will not have its core functionality and purpose changed, though its strength may be altered and effects secondary to the power's true purpose may be added or removed.'

"Seriously, it *is* a good policy -- it provides structure within which to do things. Without structure, there's chaos. How would you like it if tomorrow you logged in and, say, Build Up now built a small cottage at your chosen location, instead of adding to your damage? It's a silly example, admittedly, but it's to prevent such wholesale changes from happening. I *could* overturn it, in specific cases, if it were truly needed, but in the case being discussed here, it is not truly needed. There are MANY options that have been discussed that do not involve changing the core use of the power."

I hope this helps. It's a good guideline.

It is indeed a good guideline, and one which HC has repeatedly ignored and trampled.  If it were followed, it should not be necessary to reslot, rebuild, and respec multiple characters with every page update just to keep them playable.  Optional, yes, but not necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I don't see a Focused Feedback specific to Unstable Aether.

I've voiced this before and generally I think people don't agree with me, but I'll say it again. I think we need FEWER currencies, not more. I think we need to be working towards simplifying the mechanics of the game, not make them more complicated.

For me, multiple currencies makes sense with a paid, retail game where you are trying to extract revenue from a customer. We're in a different spot now. For instance, I'm all for getting rid of Incarnate Shards and components and going strictly with a threads system to get incarnate powers - 60 for T1, 80 for T2, etc. Make it simple. I don't think we make the game more fun by having shards, threads, astrals, emps, and a lot of different components, all to achieve the same result.

The more we make this game something that requires a new player to consult a wiki to understand how everything works, the less new people are going to want to stick with it. I love all the new material, and I really appreciate all the dev work on that, but I really would like to see us embedding warnings (or whatever) for Enhancement Diversification, the Law of Fives, etc. into the game itself.

Really, that's my only gripe about this particular issue/page. Looks good otherwise.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I've voiced this before and generally I think people don't agree with me, but I'll say it again. I think we need FEWER currencies, not more. I think we need to be working towards simplifying the mechanics of the game, not make them more complicated.

For me, multiple currencies makes sense with a paid, retail game where you are trying to extract revenue from a customer. We're in a different spot now. For instance, I'm all for getting rid of Incarnate Shards and components and going strictly with a threads system to get incarnate powers - 60 for T1, 80 for T2, etc. Make it simple. I don't think we make the game more fun by having shards, threads, astrals, emps, and a lot of different components, all to achieve the same result.

The more we make this game something that requires a new player to consult a wiki to understand how everything works, the less new people are going to want to stick with it. I love all the new material, and I really appreciate all the dev work on that, but I really would like to see us embedding warnings (or whatever) for Enhancement Diversification, the Law of Fives, etc. into the game itself.

Really, that's my only gripe about this particular issue/page. Looks good otherwise.

You're not alone feeling this way.  I'd recommend putting this in the Focused Feedback for the Giant Monster Balancing Pass, since that's the category in which Unstable Aether was introduced.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Yes yes yes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

There's considerable discussion (incl Dev discussion of the intent) in the Focused Feedback: Giant Monster Balancing and Rewards thread.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 1/20/2024 at 6:56 PM, kwsapphire said:

There are so many things in this that I'm excited about. A tip of the hat to whomever listened to my pleas for a tailor in Ouro. ❤️

Now if we could just get a trainer in there 😛

• Like 2

Totally posted my post in here which was the wrong place.

Edited by High_Beam

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Telekinesis as an Immobilize rather than a Hold will make the Controller a prime target. 

Soloing (and sometimes in groups) I use TK to push a portion of the mobs into a corner so they can simmer for later in the battle.

Worse secondary effect, longer cooldown, shorter auto shut-off: who on earth was clamoring for this change?   

Perhaps consider a ToHit debuff?  Love the clumping.

Edited by arealm
Wanted to tag on last line
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Simply amazing. An all volunteer team supporting AND creating content for this game we missed and loved, for the love of the game. Plus, the only money ever requested is by donation and only to pay for the servers - wow. I think we all know that this whole thing could be monetized by NC Soft and that's not happening is freaking magical. 

I guess what I'm saying is I am in awe of all your skills and willingness to let me play in a place I've missed so thank you very much.