PC Gamer Article on Homecoming's Deal with NC

PC Gamer put up an article detailing the deal made between Homecoming and NC. You can read it here.

NCSoft appreciated the Homecoming leadership’s familiarity with City of Heroes’ lore and game operation; its dedicated staff, sophistication, and vision of where to take the server next. "From there we needed to subject Homecoming to meaningful guardrails in its operation of City of Heroes," NCSoft says. "And take steps to confirm that, as a practical matter, Homecoming was likely to abide by all guardrails we imposed."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Well now I guess "allegedly" can be safely removed from the Wiki page now.  😃

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Moose 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

great to see.

whilst many of us do have a moan or have strong opinions about developments, the HC team is unequivocally professional in how they run this operation. it’s no surprise NC Soft have placed their trust in the devs

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Moose 1

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Well now I guess "allegedly" can be safely removed from the Wiki page now.  😃

It should stay up, but with the quotation marks, and someone should link it to the Air Quotes page.  That'd be a nice double layer of sarcasm aimed at whoever wrote it.

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

19 minutes ago, Monty Haull said:

"Gets on Reddit ....."

Nope, they still don't believe it.

Really?

Because I just read this thread on Reddit and I don't see anyone saying that they don't believe it. Maybe you saw a different thread?

• Moose 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Really?

Because I just read this thread on Reddit and I don't see anyone saying that they don't believe it. Maybe you saw a different thread?

No, I was just funnin'.  I guess I should have put a /s at the end.  sorry. 

There are the usual haters but most of them have quieted down post announcement.   Some of the hate HC got over there kinda baffled me.

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

Well, the problem, if I may devil advocate this, is that we're still going on hearsay. We hear from the devs it's a go, we hear from PC Magazine it's a go. We still haven't heard from the sole entity that would confirm it, and, at best, rely on 'but if NCsoft wasn't happy they would say something'. Which is not exactly ironclad proof.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Moose 1

Just now, Sovera said:

Well, the problem, if I may devil advocate this, is that we're still going on hearsay. We hear from the devs it's a go, we hear from PC Magazine it's a go. We still haven't heard from the sole entity that would confirm it, and, at best, rely on 'but if NCsoft wasn't happy they would say something'. Which is not exactly ironclad proof.

It's not hearsay anymore. An NCSoft spokesman spoke with PC Gamer and was quoted in their article. What do you expect? Do you want someone at NCSoft to call you personally?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

4 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

It's not hearsay anymore. An NCSoft spokesman spoke with PC Gamer and was quoted in their article. What do you expect? Do you want someone at NCSoft to call you personally?

I have no dog in this. As I specified I was devil advocating. Having or not having NCsoft approval makes no difference to me.

• Moose 1

7 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There are people on Reddit waiting for this call at this very moment. 

• Haha 7
  • Moose 1

23 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

What do you expect? Do you want someone at NCSoft to call you personally?

It’s a damp but mild afternoon in winter, the rain is persistent but not heavy. The clouds above move slowly and show no signs if being in a hurry to go anywhere. The moisture has darkened everything around. It’s peaceful. Calm. Quiet. The only sound made is of rain drops falling from the trees and hitting an old stone path in the churchyard.

@Sovera approaches the wall of the church grounds and opens the low, small gate. It makes a unconfident squeak as it opens, before gently swinging back to its original position with a muted clack, the wood sodden from several days of rain.

He walks slowly up the path, past the large yew trees which have long called this place their home, and the many grave stones, several leaning gently backwards towards the sky as water makes its way down their mossy fronts.

As Sovera approaches the church, the heavy cast iron handle on the door softly but meaningfully turns. The door opens outwards revealing an elderly priest who steps into the rain. The clergyman lifts his clean, cared-for black hat slightly, revealing his experienced but calm eyes. His unhurried stare catches Sovera’s vision as he waits for him to move closer.

Sovera’s pace slows as he draws closer to the priest, he comes to a stop several yards from the man and continues to look straight ahead. The two men stand paused in silence as if they are both letting the sound of the dripping rain introduce themselves without words.

”Is it done?” Sovera asks the priest.

”Yes.” He replies, “It is done.”

The men pause again, before the priest breaks his gaze with Sovera to look at the ground briefly before walking back into the church. The door closes with a thud as the handle announces its movement with a dull clank.

”Then it is so.” Proclaims Sovera, before he too turns and walks away.

• Haha 4
  • Moose 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

So with NCSoft making it full legitimate, with agreement on both sides of the contract it is good to see.

I can see the hive mind on Reddit will still deny reality here proclaiming they need a physical copy or something else to keep up their viewpoints.

On a grander point, this is a good base for future MMOs that were shutdown for fans to build a private server legal as possible to keep a niche fanbase together.

• Like 4
  • Moose 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

The majority of the opinions on Reddit are like and kind with those at a bar at 2 AM.  Funny, salient and thought provoking when drunk but utter trash that must be tossed in the bit bucket when you sober up.

• Thanks 1
  • Moose 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

12 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

The majority of the opinions on Reddit are like and kind with those at a bar at 2 AM.  Funny, salient and thought provoking when drunk but utter trash that must be tossed in the bit bucket when you sober up.

Sums up a lot of the internet.

• Moose 1

23 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

I'm not convinced half of them aren't sock puppets from a certain other party who spends 3/4 of their comments shitting on HC at any chance possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Moose 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

12 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Sums up a lot of the internet.

Yeah, but twenty-odd posts and no one shouted "fake news!"

Maybe we are... growing up? Again?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

When the last two gamers on earth run into each other, they will bicker over some factional shit that makes no sense to any other tribe.

• Thanks 1
  • Moose 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

5 minutes ago, Lockely said:

I'm not convinced half of them aren't sock puppets from a certain other party who spends 3/4 of their comments shitting on HC at any chance possible.

I was just digging through the sub and saw that, too.  Dude has a massive hate-on for the HC team.

The other thing I noticed is that they never reciprocate.  Have to admire their tact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moose 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Fiction?  I will tell you what is fiction…

Wait, no.   If tou want to know what is fiction I am providing that info for 59,990,000. Just email me that and I will tell you everything you need to know.  Righteously truthfully yours, Snarky.   

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

This was a better article than I've seen anywhere else since the announcement. Thanks for linking it. They quoted Homecoming reps and NC spokesperson, articulated the background and context for why it's a big deal, and there was only all the ads on the internet to scroll past lol

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

19 minutes ago, Luminara said:

The other thing I noticed is that they never reciprocate.  Have to admire their tact.

Unlike other servers, HC has no official presence on r/cityofheroes.   The haters and the mods rather inconsistent enforcement of the "no server drama" rule as well as general reddiquette are why.

• Thanks 1
  • Moose 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I hate to be cynical (or do I...?), but words like 'guardrails' make me very nervous.

I sincerely hope this 'alleged' 'relationship' doesn't devolve into a master/slave or publisher/dev type thing and NCSoft at some point demand that MTX/cash shop/loot boxes/season passes/gacha/etc be shoe-horned into the game, so they can take a 50% cut say, and make it worth their while, ahem. 'Licensed' now also means they can simply refuse to re-license at the next anniversary or simply issue a C&D for any reason whatsoever I'd be willing to bet, as HC have now formally and legally acknowledged them as the rightful owners of their instance/version. I simply don't trust any large gaming companies like them any longer, fool me once, twice, thrice, you canna fool me no more! ;)

Out of interest, does HC have an 'untouchable' backup of the current build we have access to, and/or another 'secret' hosting location they can fall back to, should the need arise to go rogue again? I would like to think that HC would have the foresight to make a bullet-proof escape vector possible for themselves, even if the game has to spring up somewhere else under a different name. Also, do we as players and supporters have any access to our hero data (an export at the very least), so we have a Plan B, in case of a worst-case scenario guys...? 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Moose 1

Game over man, game over!

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Unlike other servers, HC has no official presence on r/cityofheroes.   The haters and the mods rather inconsistent enforcement of the "no server drama" rule as well as general reddiquette are why.

It's only "no server drama" when someone hates on servers that aren't HC. When it's HC hate it's anything goes. They banned me there and I haven't gone back since. Frak that toxic cesspool of hot garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1