PC Gamer Article on Homecoming's Deal with NC

On 4/5/2024 at 3:12 PM, Sovera said:

Well, the problem, if I may devil advocate this, is that we're still going on hearsay. We hear from the devs it's a go, we hear from PC Magazine it's a go. We still haven't heard from the sole entity that would confirm it, and, at best, rely on 'but if NCsoft wasn't happy they would say something'. Which is not exactly ironclad proof.

Walks like a duck.

Talks like a duck.

ooooo...quacks like a duck.

I need more proof

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

/e poofgone

Just now, JasperStone said:

Walks like a duck.

Talks like a duck.

ooooo...quacks like a duck.

I need more proof

Well, I wasn't going to add more to this subject but since the little barbs keep on coming I'll add some more after all since some people seem obtuse to what a devil's advocate it.

When we claim something in this forum we usually ask for a dev to chime in, and when they have then it's the word of god and it's settled.

When there are lore doubts in GW2 and confirmation is asked because so much stuff is head-canon and a dev chimes then the matter is settled.

When confirmation is required in Blizzard forums a blue name is usually asked for, and when it replies the matter is settled.

In none of these are people from outside chiming in accepted as actual proof.

The point I was trying to make which is then lost in 'Sovera does not believe we actually have NCsoft's permission, hahaha, what a moron!' is that we have Homecoming word it is done, and a magazine. Do I actually expect NCsoft to make a press release about this? No. Do I assume Homecoming and the magazine are lying? Also no.

Perhaps it was my fault for assuming that 'devil's advocate' was a well known idea, but this is the same forum that had a whole brouhaha because niggardly had an N, an I, and two Gs so omg don't use that word.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

24 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Do I actually expect NCsoft to make a press release about this?

@Sovera, I and I'm sure others, grasp what devil's advocate means.

I assume you read the article where a spokesperson from NC responded to the license announcement. That's more than has ever been said by NC publicly in over a decade about City of Heroes. I think it's beyond a reasonable doubt at this point, so devil's advocate should read the devil's in the details, if not. 

"NCSoft, too, had its reservations. "We were initially skeptical about their proposal," a spokesperson told PC Gamer. "To our knowledge, a AAA publisher/developer like NC West had never undertaken a non-commercial license of a sunset game. Ostensibly, such an undertaking would be too resource-intensive and risky to justify without benefiting a meaningful number of a game’s fans." 

Yet NCSoft wasn’t blind to the unusual fervour of City of Heroes veterans in the wake of the game’s shutdown. "This support created unique conditions in which evaluating Homecoming’s proposal about working together as a serious venture was not dismissed.""

"NCSoft appreciated the Homecoming leadership’s familiarity with City of Heroes’ lore and game operation; its dedicated staff, sophistication, and vision of where to take the server next. "From there we needed to subject Homecoming to meaningful guardrails in its operation of City of Heroes," NCSoft says. "And take steps to confirm that, as a practical matter, Homecoming was likely to abide by all guardrails we imposed." 

"Many back-and-forth conversations, "tire-kicking sessions" and contract drafts followed. Whatever guardrails the Homecoming team agreed to, they’re not telling—perhaps as a result of that professionalism that has gotten them this far. In the end, NCSoft was convinced. "Only once we believed they would be capable stewards of the City of Heroes IP did we begin exploring a license agreement," the publisher says."

Edited by Glacier Peak
more quotes
  • Like 1
  • Finland 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

17 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Well, I wasn't going to add more to this subject but since the little barbs keep on coming I'll add some more after all since some people seem obtuse to what a devil's advocate it.

When we claim something in this forum we usually ask for a dev to chime in, and when they have then it's the word of god and it's settled.

When there are lore doubts in GW2 and confirmation is asked because so much stuff is head-canon and a dev chimes then the matter is settled.

When confirmation is required in Blizzard forums a blue name is usually asked for, and when it replies the matter is settled.

The point I was trying to make which is then lost in 'Sovera does not believe we actually have NCsoft's permission, hahaha, what a moron!' is that we have Homecoming word it is done, and a magazine. Do I actually expect NCsoft to make a press release about this? No. Do I assume Homecoming and the magazine are lying? Also no.

Perhaps it was my fault for assuming that 'devil's advocate' was a well known idea, but this is the same forum that had a whole brouhaha because niggardly had an N, an I, and two Gs so omg don't use that word.

Due to my IRL work, I am well aware of what a devil's advocate is.

So, you do not need to educate me on the topic.

No barbs.

Only humor.

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

/e poofgone

On 4/5/2024 at 7:46 PM, Luminara said:

I was just digging through the sub and saw that, too.  Dude has a massive hate-on for the HC team.

The other thing I noticed is that they never reciprocate.  Have to admire their tact.

They are busy improving the game and (now legitimately) continuing its legacy. Or also known as “ain’t nobody got time for that”. HC, disagree with their changes to COH or not, has always been focused on their goals and kept it classy. Can’t say the same for some other servers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

The author of the article, Jeremy Peel, and by extension PCGamer, has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by making up quotes from NCSoft for the benefit of Homecoming. 

What reason could they possibly have that would be a sufficient enough benefit to jeopardize their standing with NCSoft and every other gaming publisher to post illegitimate or misattributed quotes? Common sense alone should be enough to get folks over that hurdle that it makes far more sense for the quotes to be legitimate and NCSoft to have given their blessing. 

An author working at multiple respected publications isn't going to put his livelihood on the line for Homecoming. C'mon now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

20 hours ago, Lockely said:

Don't know, what I do know is that I called out said devs on the subreddit for directly attacking Cipher and making up conspiracy theories about HC infiltrating PC Gamer to manufacture a spokesperson from NCSoft to confirm their deal, and was subsequently permabanned for it. 🙂

So, eh. No big loss.

Worth the ban if you ask me. GG sir/ma’am!

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

since some people seem obtuse to what a devil's advocate it.

People here know what a devil's advocate is. They just aren't impressed by the arguments you're offering. It's not a magical get out of criticism free card.

• Thanks 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

2 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

People here know what a devil's advocate is. They just aren't impressed by the arguments you're offering. It's not a magical get out of criticism free card.

Lol

• Haha 1
  • Finland 1

PCGamer are also quite a well known publisher in the UK, they’ve been going for over 30 years - i used to buy their magazines all the time growing up, especially in 2005 when i was buying parts for my CoH machine

• Like 2
  • Finland 1

Why do people feel the need to advocate for the devil?

Either you're stating your own opinion and want to use "just asking questions" as cover, or you're intentionally taking a position you don't believe so you can, what, argue with people about it? For fun? 

Get a grip. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Finland 1

Nice article. tldr I prefer to not engage in Reddit either.  My heart simply does not need to go to a place online that ultimately makes me hate the topic I looked up.  

• Finland 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, starro said:

Nice article. tldr I prefer to not engage in Reddit either.  My heart simply does not need to go to a place online that ultimately makes me hate the topic I looked up.  

I love reddit.

I know that if I want to ignore the scum and villainy of the interwebs, for the most part I just don't go there.

What I love most about reddit is that it keeps the people I actively want to disengage from very fucking far away from me. I hope it lasts for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Finland 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, starro said:

The experience you get there really is 100% dependent on the community and mods of each particular subreddit.  I've always had the best luck with subreddits for narrow topics, like r/fallenlondon for the browser game of the same name, which is a great place.  It's not even just the population size -- r/stardewvalley has a couple of million members but it's pretty chill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Finland 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

17 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

The experience you get there really is 100% dependent on the community and mods of each particular subreddit.  I've always had the best luck with subreddits for narrow topics

Indeed. r/bookbinding and r/icecreamery are both pretty laid back and helpful.  It's fun to hang out in r/whatanime and help ID anime people are looking for.  It's *amazing* to hang out in r/whereisthis and watch people help find locations from the tiniest damm clues.  (I once found a location for someone because I'm a railfan and recognized the unusual model of locomotive pulling an excursion train.)  Etc... etc...

Yeah, there's subs that are cesspits - but they're not the whole of Reddit.  Not by a long shot.

• Like 3
  • Finland 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

11 hours ago, Sovera said:

Devil’s advocate doesn’t mean denying reality.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

22 hours ago, Lockely said:

My only hope is they see the love here and realize there are communities around all the games they've shuttered who would gladly do the same as Homecoming.

I would give almost anything to return to Wildstar and run Datascape with my guild once again.

I hear you matey. My wife is still angry with Gazillion, more so with Disney, for killing Marvel Heroes. Sonsubeyatches! ;)

If only someone would/could resurrect that mmoarpg...but we all know how quickly Disney/Marvel would pounce to 'protect' their sacred IP! :classic_rolleyes:

• Finland 1

Game over man, game over!

7 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Indeed. r/bookbinding and r/icecreamery are both pretty laid back and helpful.  It's fun to hang out in r/whatanime and help ID anime people are looking for.  It's *amazing* to hang out in r/whereisthis and watch people help find locations from the tiniest damm clues.  (I once found a location for someone because I'm a railfan and recognized the unusual model of locomotive pulling an excursion train.)  Etc... etc...

Yeah, there's subs that are cesspits - but they're not the whole of Reddit.  Not by a long shot.

God I miss the old UseNet... <feeling very old>...

• Finland 1

3 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Usenet was great, (I say was, I'm sure it's still out there working, somewhere) but it was very much a product of its time, when its time was extremely limited internet access available to a very select group of people.  It was never going to survive more democratic access to the internet -- it was the place that invented the idea of 'Eternal September', after all.

9 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

Devil’s advocate doesn’t mean denying reality.

What if it did, though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

21 hours ago, keyguardactive said:

Why do people feel the need to advocate for the devil?

The real questions: Does the devil play COH? Does he make the obvious choice and play redside or, and this is my theory, is he always that person on a Posi 1 that beelines to the door? 

• Haha 2
  • Finland 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

9 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Well, you could catch up on EVERYTHING in the 80s...

There were still some just plain awful parts.  Now, there's just more of everything, and it's easy to find the crap.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

13 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

It was the best.  But then again, it was before regular folk and the www.

• Banjo 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

9 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

The real questions: Does the devil play COH? Does he make the obvious choice and play redside or, and this is my theory, is he always that person on a Posi 1 that beelines to the door? 

Why yes, he does:

image.thumb.png.c576bb136af3f4cb92c53a2dd4524f3c.png

Name's Lucifer Morning Star. I made him for my wife. :D

• Banjo 1