The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #75: Do you (or have you ever) run teams deliberately that were not 1 or 8 characters and what is your ideal team size?

It seems people solo or people fill teams as much as they can.

Have you ever been in a team that was deliberately some other size?  Duo, or four, etc?

I have rarely encountered it but have enjoyed being on teams of 4 with the difficulty set to team size 8 instead of increasing the level difficulty.  Every character feels more important to the team.

I will solo or run a full team like the rest, but I have no qualms about running small teams.

I actually like getting small groups of support toons together 3-5 players and running +4 content set for 8 for the added challenge as support toons are a very strong force multipler by themselves.

I do a lot of solo when friends are not around, when they are then it's usually 3-5 on the team even for TF's/SF's though we will sometimes invite wildlife for those.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I occasionally see someone advertise for a 4 man team, I always try to join no matter what they doing. They are always fun to me. 

When I put together a team most time I will only recruit in lfg once or twice and if only 3 -5 answer that's fine with me.

Not deliberately set on smaller team, but have run with plenty 3-5 teams. Like them a lot. Some time back, I posited the idea of advertising for "Star" teams, as in the 5 points of the star. But with star TF runs that idea is definitely out the window.

Optimal team size? I'd say 4-5.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Is this where I say I run 4 all the time in Summer Blockbuster?

If I form a team I want as many as possible.  My feeling is there is a "weak floor" and "strong middle management" on teams.  Then, if I am leading, an insane CEO.  The hope in recruiting is that you get a lot of the Mgt, and less of the floor.  But, unless you know the players through experience, you are shooting down a dark hallway. So, get more.  Always more.  A strong group of 3 can handle +4/x8.  So if we get those probably going to be fine with whatever crawls in to fill the other billets. The "comedy element"

Some of you may think i am being overly harsh...

40 Funny Coworker Memes About Your Colleagues - SayingImages.com

Me and the wife run a duo. This gives me a break from the steamroll and presents much more of a challenge. It's nice to play a more difficult version of the game sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope. Whoever comes by, comes by. I'm semi-regularly on a later night team that's often 4-6 people.  I don't need a full team to have fun, and it's often more fun with fewer.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have my settings for AV's and when I come across AV's I set up for a team of 2-4 members.  3 is preferred and never more than 4.  I ask for assistance from others that are in zone and close to my level.   I used to ask for help in the LFG but that was always a disaster. 

Well, there was that time in the OG game where I ran 22 players through the Atta cave, but I was young, experimental, and had no clue what an exploit was.   (I can tell you that taking essentially a league into a wide cave with wall-to-wall trolls (the game apparently kept adding them as our ranks increased) is a heap of a lot of fun. But I'm wiser now and don't endorse exploits.  Perhaps some day they'll make it a league event.)

Ahem.  

Under normal play, however, I'm usually 1 or 8.  I have done a lot of 2-person teams with my best friend who is an infrequent player these days, but if I'm in a pug, I prefer 5 or more.  I've been in an awkward position once or twice where I thought the leader was going to recruit a full team, but tried to run the mission with just 3 players.  I find that a bit too personal for my tastes when we're all strangers.

Honestly I prefer smaller teams but you rarely see them outside of SBB. Something that always bugs me is people who complain about everything being a steam roll but never play in small groups. CoH is a game that has a really big focus on force multipliers, even on SOs a team of 8 will usually always stomp due to this. Bring less people and you get less force multipliers and more personal responsibility, it's still very possible that things become a stomp, but even then you usually get to do more. I see messages in LFG all the time that clearly want a slower paced group but are still looking for 8 players, and that's honestly just not gonna happen with 8 players these days, no matter what your fighting, unless everyone is under-leveled, 8 players will evaporate it.

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

I usually start a session soloing on my current project, while keeping one eye on the LFG channel for anything interesting. I will then either join with the current toon or switch to an appropriate alt.

And while people usually aim to fill teams with the full 8, when we are struggling to fill those last spots, I am happy to run with a smaller group.

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

Yes, for sure! I love duos, trios, quartets. At that size it feels like you're closely working with each other's strengthes; and with semi-optimized characters, most of the "tough" tasks are a good challenge.

Even though it's happenstance, the game on x8 actually feels designed for 4 friends playing together. IMHO this is the peak experience.

I consider me and my Tri-Cannon and my FFG a 3 man team.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I'll run whatever size, but I feel like 4-6 is the sweet spot. There's no challenge in running an 8-person team through most x8 content, but 4-6 people running at x8 feels pretty good.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Have you ever been in a team that was deliberately some other size?  Duo, or four, etc?

Yeah, sure, at least 2 nights a week for 2-3 hours.

I often run trials or task forces with less than 8. I have some set numbers that I think are doable for certain content. Once that is reached, I'm not going to sit around all day trying to fill. 

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I have rarely encountered it but have enjoyed being on teams of 4 with the difficulty set to team size 8 instead of increasing the level difficulty.  Every character feels more important to the team.

I don't set the team size to 8 when running smaller teams. I don't even jack it up to 6.

When I'm running teams, I'm more likely to increase the enemy level than spawn size.

If I want a huge number of opponents to fight, I have several of the Dynasty Warrior games.

Bumping the difficulty give me the challenge that I'm looking for.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.