Plausible reasons?

image.png.fa54d59750fc565ab78e38729225d3a1.png

Was in Skyway; (Indom, that's why the xp is so high) 

But my character is level 12. The Supa Trolls appear to be uniformly all level 15 lieutenants. 
I was the only one there, killed both solo. 

Why the difference in XP? 

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

image.png.8ed9ef896d8c2849a7f9315c6172ec1b.png

Well, it is apparently repeatable - I gained a level, so the xp is a little lower - but both were level 15 lieutenants. (as were the two previous)  

Seems odd. I wonder if it has something to do with the rank of the troll that goes into the rave, even though they all come out the same. 

Likely not the case but could it be patrol exp?

I've noticed in various situations for a long while now that there can be exp inconsistencies at times; and just attributed to the layers of noodles of the spaghetti coding that have gone on for 20 years.  Not dismissing it away but just saying there are lots of.... "anomalies".

Edited by Sanguinesun

Enemies that have taken damage from some other source (beyond the player or team that defeats them) yield less than 100% XP for the player/team that defeats them.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

i have flirted with killing one enemy at a time with certain characters.  Always to "get really close" to a level but not hit it.  Then stop exp.  

Not every minion is the value of every other.  Nor every Lt.  Granted, once you have identified a 'type" they are always that value.  But it looks like in this case there are two "types" with the same name and rank.

The other (very logical) explanation is your very low level character levelled between one troll and the second at 4:43, and then did the same at 5:22... and you are TROLLING us.  Bam!

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Not every minion is the value of every other.  Nor every Lt.  Granted, once you have identified a 'type" they are always that value.  But it looks like in this case there are two "types" with the same name and rank.

What you describe sounds like the reward scale factor, which varies for different NPCs depending on difficulty and can, in some fairly rare cases, vary among the same NPC type/rank. I did some extensive research/testing with respect to this a few months back, including compiling a spreadsheet from parsed City of Data info for the NPCs in the game. More info and a link to that spreadsheet can be found in the post at this link for those curious.

Supa trolls, though, only have one entry and one reward scale with a value of 1:

supa_trolls.thumb.jpg.514665e3d20437032181bf16afedcc86.jpg

My best guess with regard to the OP is as Luminara and tidge mentioned, that these particular critters suffered damage somewhere between the rave and their final demise. Other factors (like double XP, the Indom xp bonus, and the level difference factor) muddy the waters a bit, but I'd put my money on that explanation.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

What you describe sounds like the reward scale factor, which varies for different NPCs depending on difficulty and can, in some fairly rare cases, vary among the same NPC type/rank. I did some extensive research/testing with respect to this a few months back, including compiling a spreadsheet from parsed City of Data info for the NPCs in the game. More info and a link to that spreadsheet can be found in the post at this link for those curious.

Supa trolls, though, only have one entry and one reward scale with a value of 1:

supa_trolls.thumb.jpg.514665e3d20437032181bf16afedcc86.jpg

My best guess with regard to the OP is as Luminara and tidge mentioned, that these particular critters suffered damage somewhere between the rave and their final demise. Other factors (like double XP, the Indom xp bonus, and the level difference factor) muddy the waters a bit, but I'd put my money on that explanation.

i agree   i read and replied without realizing it was Ukase.  There is an anomaly but danged if I can be sure based on the data.

See, I could accept the "previously damaged" scenario, but they were both at full health. I didn't ding in between the clobbering of the two supa-trolls. All were the same level - 15. 

Certainly, it's not a big deal at all, and I suspect that it's just an anomaly. 

Perhaps what I should do is grab an alt that's level 15 on Excelsior with the standard xp rate, no 2xp buff and try again and see what result I get. Surely somewhere within the 7 pages of alts, there's one that's level 15, or close enough for this purpose. 

Enemy critters regenerate.

One extreme example where it is possible to witness how an enemy at full health may not yield maximum XP is to defeat one of the Giant Monsters during the Vale Fight, and then let the other one heal up before defeating it.  Giant Monsters heal rather quickly, so there shouldn't be much waiting around. I'm relatively certain I've observed that a fully healed second monster yields less XP than expected.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tidge said:

Enemy critters regenerate.

One extreme example where it is possible to witness how an enemy at full health may not yield maximum XP is to defeat one of the Giant Monsters during the Vale Fight, and then let the other one heal up before defeating it.  Giant Monsters heal rather quickly, so there shouldn't be much waiting around. I'm relatively certain I've observed that a fully healed second monster yields less XP than expected.

yes, but supa trolls have the life span of a fruit fly.  not sure how reasonable that explanation is

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

yes, but supa trolls have the life span of a fruit fly.  not sure how reasonable that explanation is

As Skyway city is a low level zone, I can easily imagine a low level character doing minor damage to a Supa Troll and not finishing them off. Writing only for myself, when I have a character that is roughly the level range of Skyway, and see that a zone event is in progress, I will take that character to the Northern train station and mess around with whatever Supa Trolls are there. When the Supa Trolls con higher, I put a lot of splash damage on some of them before I decide to head off to some door mission, or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Certain enemies just reward experience oddly. A good example is Red Caps in Croatoa. Find a group of three and the third one you kill will reward more experience than the other two.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

7 hours ago, tidge said:

As Skyway city is a low level zone, I can easily imagine a low level character doing minor damage to a Supa Troll and not finishing them off. Writing only for myself, when I have a character that is roughly the level range of Skyway, and see that a zone event is in progress, I will take that character to the Northern train station and mess around with whatever Supa Trolls are there. When the Supa Trolls con higher, I put a lot of splash damage on some of them before I decide to head off to some door mission, or whatever.

Yeah i think supa trolls have the Willpower armor constant regen ability.  So in a large enough sampling this is plausible