Absolute bestest “Hey everybody, lookit what I can do!” Single power animation/fx in the game

54 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Whenever I see someone talking about a “Hey everybody, lookit what I can do!” action, I'm reminded of all the "Hey, y'all, watch this!" 'last words of a redneck' jokes.

In the Navy the axiom involves a Chief saying, 'Watch this shit."

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

I'm gonna say... Levitate/Lift (Mind Control/Gravity control).

Sure, it's not super flashy, it's a single-target power and gets outclassed pretty quickly, but I have a fondness for it. Mostly cuz when I was new, I didn't think much of the game and was thinking of quitting, when I joined a PuG, and saw dudes getting THROWN IN THE AIR! I was like "Woah, wtf was THAT?!" and the player told me "Levitate, from Mind Control!"

So I rolled a Mind/Kin, who wound up being my Main Character all through Live and here on HC 🙂 

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

yeah, i have it on my Fire^3 blaster.  i tend to go fire balls out attack on him all the time, built for damage, relying on inspirations and timing.  (and fast room clears)  when i make a mistake in the formula ROTP saves my bacon.

Works great on spines/fire brutes too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Love me some Meteor. Makes me laugh like a loon every time.

But the sheer amazingness of a well-timed Howling Twilight, turning a near-team-wipe into a rousing* victory?

It drinks deeply of the awesome!

* Literally

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Hurricane. You constantly visually dominate the scene 🙂

I do like the radiatioin blast snipe too. Feels very chunky.

Earth control powers in crystal form look very nice and have a satisfying accustic oomph.

• Like 1

Are combos allowed?

Axe Cyclone + Combat Jumping = Cyclone Jump!   

1. Stand in the middle of a pack of enemies.

2. Jump!

3. Immediately after hitting the jump key, mash the Axe Cyclone key.

If you do this right, the enemies will be pulled along through the air behind you by Axe Cyclone's negative repel effect.  For lulz, try it with a straight up vertical jump.  Not useful, but funny.  Enemies will be pulled upward and then spat out in random directions at the top like a water fountain.  More useful for bringing together spread out bunches of enemies.  Land in one pack, jump towards the other, and hit Axe Cyclone.  Done right, it can bring them right together at a greater distance than Cyclone can hit just standing in one place.

Teleport + Ground Zero + Superior Avalanche:Knockdown = This looks cool but I don't have a cool name for it!

1. Teleport (yes, regular travel TP, not Combat TP) into a big pack of enemies.

2. Immediately key Ground Zero.

3. Nearly everyone gets knocked down while you are floating a few inches off the ground (thanks to TP) in a superhero pose with arms stretched to either side and a wave of radiation rippling outward.

This is almost as cool looking as Mighty Radial and available much more often.  The secret sauce here is that Ground Zero is a weird power.  On a Tanker it's a massive 22.5ft radius and can hit up to 30 targets (damaging enemies and healing allies which are all counted in the total).  So if you're first in to a group of baddies, it easily hits them all... even most of a double group pull if you can get them reasonably together.

I do like Category-5 from Storm Blast. Calling down a huge whirlwind and pounding rain on an area is fun.

If we're counting combos, then a Storm/Storm character is awesome fun.

Storm Cell + Cat-5 + Lightning Storm + Tornado for just sheer "End of the World Nature's Wrath" stuff. 

Can't believe no one's suggested Fold Space yet.  Popular and very hard to ignore, great to pull on a team to suddenly make every attack about yourself.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Most of these are "blink and you'll miss it" powers.  If you want to show off, they need enough time to appreciate it!  So that means Bitter Freeze Ray wins.

You can say "Hey, check this out!", and your friends will have enough time to create an account, roll up a character, and observe your awesomeness all before it goes off!

• Haha 3

Foot Stomp.  Better than Mighty Judgement, because it's up every 6-8 seconds, on a well built 50+ tank.

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Though I never had the patience to level Energy Blast on any of my multiple alts, I will completely admit that nothing, no single power has ever impressed and awed me as much as a default-colored Nova.

It's just....  concentrate... EXPLODE! MOBS EVERYWHERE!!

It's like the embodiment of the pissed off hero who screams: "ENOUGH!" before going full balls mode.

• Like 1

lightning rod smiting enemies from the sky with lightning since forever

Meteor pretty much THE most satisfying power in the game when you drop a GIANT FREAKING SPACE ROCK on someones noggin

Rise of the Phoenix Im dead? Oh Hell No KABOOM and Rise from your grave

Howling twilight easilly the best rez in the game with an amazing sound and so satifying to see 4-7 of your teamates all float up off the ground at the same time

Fireball come on it is a giant ball of fire that roasts your target and about the other 5-12 guys with him

Knockout blow its a giant wind up leading to a massive punch which sends your target flying

Incandescent strike giant two handed hammer of doom brought to you by your friendly neighborhood peacekeeper

Edited by catsi563

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Now if we're aiming for the satisfying result rather than the satisfying visual effect, here's the game my friends and I liked to play back on live on a /Energy blaster.

• Independence port: get to the top of one of the tallest bridges arc structures, there's often a couple of Family dudes trading fake e-punches there because why not.
  • Make sure they con very low grey to you so the effect is maaaaaaaaxed.
  • Even better with abusive amounds of KB enhancements
  • Target unfortunate Capo #17
  • Activate Power Boost
  • Activate Power Thrust
  • Marvel as you launch a mobster to found the first lunar colony.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Flying mafiosiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aeroprism said:

Now if we're aiming for the satisfying result rather than the satisfying visual effect, here's the game my friends and I liked to play back on live on a /Energy blaster.

• Independence port: get to the top of one of the tallest bridges arc structures, there's often a couple of Family dudes trading fake e-punches there because why not.
  • Activate Power Boost
  • Activate Power Thrust

This is also great in Echo: AP with the clockwork (lower level = more KB, and Clockwork have an inherent weakness to KB...).  (Echo: because they added all those huge buildings that block flying clockwork).

Besides, the clockwork might actually survive landing on Mars, so the King could establish the first Martian colony!

4 minutes ago, Akisan said:

This is also great in Echo: AP with the clockwork (lower level = more KB, and Clockwork have an inherent weakness to KB...).  (Echo: because they added all those huge buildings that block flying clockwork).

Besides, the clockwork might actually survive landing on Mars, so the King could establish the first Martian colony!

City of Heroes's next expansion:  The Clock-King of Mars!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:40 PM, High_Beam said:

Hail of Bullets form DP is also pretty nice, like when the Gunstar goes off in the Last Starfighter.  You see the moves and the pistols and the bullets, not just some blurry PBAoE

Or what was probably the inspiration for the power, tweaked to not be an outright copy:

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Or what was probably the inspiration for the power, tweaked to not be an outright copy:

Yeah that movie is style over substance but yeah, a lot of DP is from there I am sure.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

4 hours ago, High_Beam said:

eah that movie is style over substance but yeah, a lot of DP is from there I am sure.

This is probably a more observable version of Hail of Bullets, but I agree that the whole 'emotionless gunslinger skills outclassing dozens of opponents' theme has got to be one of the premiere examples of style over substance; all it takes is one standoff shooter with a scoped rifle and the Cleric is SOL.

On 6/27/2024 at 1:24 PM, Aeroprism said:

• Activate Power Boost
  • Activate Power Thrust

did that with a clockwork in atlas on my EB

poor ticktok cleared the war wall and landed somewhere near positron

• Haha 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?